For all those who think Trump didn't call out War Dead Suckers and Losers

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2020 05:38 pm
https://www.snopes.com/ap/2020/09/03/report-trump-disparaged-us-war-dead-as-losers-suckers/

Report: Trump Disparaged US War Dead as ‘Losers,’ ‘Suckers’
A new report details multiple instances of President Donald Trump making disparaging remarks about members of the U.S. military who have been captured or killed.

Associated Press

Published 4 September 2020

Image via Associated Press

This article is republished here with permission from The Associated Press. This content is shared here because the topic may interest Snopes readers; it does not, however, represent the work of Snopes fact-checkers or editors.

DELRAY BEACH, FLa. (AP) — A new report details multiple instances of President Donald Trump making disparaging remarks about members of the U.S. military who have been captured or killed, including referring to the American war dead at the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery in France in 2018 as “losers” and “suckers.”

Trump said that the story is “totally false.”

The allegations were first reported in The Atlantic. A senior Defense Department official with firsthand knowledge of events and a senior U.S. Marine Corps officer who was told about Trump’s comments confirmed some of the remarks to The Associated Press, including the 2018 cemetery comments.

The defense officials said Trump made the comments as he begged off visiting the cemetery outside Paris during a meeting following his presidential daily briefing on the morning of Nov. 10, 2018.

Staffers from the National Security Council and the Secret Service told Trump that rainy weather made helicopter travel to the cemetery risky, but they could drive there. Trump responded by saying he didn’t want to visit the cemetery because it was “filled with losers,” the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to discuss it publicly.

The White House blamed the canceled visit on poor weather at the time.

In another conversation on the trip, The Atlantic said, Trump referred to the 1,800 Marines who died in the World War I battle of Belleau Wood as “suckers” for getting killed.

Trump emphatically denied the Atlantic report, calling it “a disgraceful situation” by a “terrible magazine.”

Speaking to reporters after he returned to Washington from a campaign rally in Pennsylvania, Trump said: “I would be willing to swear on anything that I never said that about our fallen heroes. There is nobody that respects them more. No animal — nobody — what animal would say such a thing?”

Trump also reiterated the White House explanation of why he didn’t visit the cemetery. “The helicopter could not fly,” he said, because of the rain and fog. “The Secret Service told me you can’t do it. … They would never have been able to get the police and everybody else in line to have a president go through a very crowded, very congested area.”

White House chief of staff Mark Meadows said, “It’s sad the depths that people will go to during a lead-up to a presidential campaign to try to smear somebody.”

Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden said, “If the revelations in today’s Atlantic article are true, then they are yet another marker of how deeply President Trump and I disagree about the role of the President of the United States.”

“Duty, honor, country — those are the values that drive our service members,” he said in a statement, adding that if he is elected president, “I will ensure that our American heroes know that I will have their back and honor their sacrifice — always.” Biden’s son Beau served in Iraq in 2008-09.

The Defense officials also confirmed to The AP reporting in The Atlantic that Trump on Memorial Day 2017 had gone with his chief of staff, John Kelly, to visit the Arlington Cemetery gravesite of Kelly’s son, Robert, who was killed in 2010 in Afghanistan, and said to Kelly: “I don’t get it. What was in it for them?”

The senior Marine Corps officer and The Atlantic, citing sources with firsthand knowledge, also reported that Trump said he didn’t want to support the August 2018 funeral of Republican Sen. John McCain, a decorated Navy veteran who spent years as a Vietnam prisoner of war, because he was a “loser.” The Atlantic also reported that Trump was angered that flags were flown at half-staff for McCain, saying: “What the f—- are we doing that for? Guy was a f—-ing loser.”

Trump acknowledged Thursday he was “never a fan” of McCain and disagreed with him, but said he still respected him and approved everything to do with his “first-class triple-A funeral” without hesitation because “I felt he deserved it.”

In 2015, shortly after launching his presidential candidacy, Trump publicly blasted McCain, saying “He’s not a war hero.” He added, “I like people who weren’t captured.”

Trump only amplified his criticism of McCain as the Arizona lawmaker grew critical of his acerbic style of politics, culminating in a late-night “no” vote scuttling Trump’s plans to repeal the Affordable Care Act. That vote shattered what few partisan loyalties bound the two men, and Trump has continued to attack McCain for that vote, even posthumously.

The magazine said Trump also referred to former President George H.W. Bush as a “loser” because he was shot down by the Japanese as a Navy pilot in World War II.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,058 • Replies: 66

coldjoint

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2020 06:35 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
What are their names?

And insulting McCain is not insulting the military.

No names, no proof. Thread closed.

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2020 06:42 am
@bobsal u1553115,
This Country is trapped in an abusive relationship with Donald Trump. He is determined to convince us that he is the only person who can save us, the only one who loves us and that we can't trust the Fake News, the Deep State, Democrats, and that no one will ever love like he does.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2020 06:56 am
Quote:
White House chief of staff Mark Meadows said, “It’s sad the depths that people will go to during a lead-up to a presidential campaign to try to smear somebody.”
engineer

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2020 07:01 am
@McGentrix,
And he should know.
coldjoint

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2020 08:13 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

And he should know.

What has Meadows done to deserve that comment?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2020 08:38 am
Trump furious at chief of staff for contradicting White House physician, sources say
Source: CNN

(CNN)President Donald Trump is furious with chief of staff Mark Meadows after the top West Wing official contradicted the White House physician's assessment Saturday of the President's health, two sources with knowledge of the situation told CNN on Sunday.

Meadows is now widely known inside the White House to be the unnamed source who spoke to reporters following the medical briefing Saturday and offered a more dire assessment than Navy Cmdr. Dr. Sean Conley had given shortly before. That reporting was initially given to a pool of reporters attributed to an official familiar with the President's condition. Later, the Associated Press and the New York Times identified that official as Meadows.

"The President's vitals over the last 24 hours were very concerning and the next 48 hours will be critical in terms of his care. We are still not on a clear path to a full recovery," Meadows said to reporters.

Trump is outraged at Meadows over the botched message, according to a senior Trump adviser.

Read more: https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/04/politics/trump-mark-meadows-chief-of-staff/index.html
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2020 08:41 am
A West Wing meltdown
Source: Axios

Frustration and anxiety built among White House staffers, who say they went days with no internal communication from Meadows about protocols and procedures — including whether they should show up to work — as COVID tore through the West Wing.

By contrast, the first lady’s chief of staff, Stephanie Grisham, emailed her staff on Saturday advising them to work from home and reminding them of CDC guidance.

And the vice president’s chief, Marc Short, emailed his senior staff at 3 a.m. Friday with an update on the president’s situation and urged them to work from home. Short also had a conference call with his staff on Saturday to take questions and explain the protocol and situation.

A senior White House official said it was "ridiculous'" that there had been no proper internal communication from the chief or operations officials since COVID started rapidly infecting their colleagues: "A bunch of us are talking about it and just gonna make the calls on our own."

Read more: https://www.axios.com/trump-coronavirus-mark-meadows-west-wing-65fb1a74-59b4-4cb3-9326-47aa7d83b946.html
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2020 12:59 pm
@McGentrix,
only if its not true McG

I heard Trump in a newscast smear John McCain by listing him as a loser for getting shot down and taken prisoner.
"I like my heroes to escape" was a paraphrase with which he ended up his statement .

You realize how much of a continuous respone game you guys have been trying to mitigate the very negative quotes trump has graced us with in the last four to six years.

He says it and you guy buy it even when the proof denies its truth.
coldjoint

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2020 01:54 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:

He says it and you guy buy it even when the proof denies its truth.

Similar to you denying Obama spied on a president elect? That has been proven. Why so many are above the law shows the respect Trump opponents have for the law. 0 to none.
oralloy

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2020 02:15 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I heard Trump in a newscast smear John McCain by listing him as a loser for getting shot down and taken prisoner.
"I like my heroes to escape" was a paraphrase with which he ended up his statement.

John McCain was a traitor who liked to stab his friends in the back.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2020 03:25 pm
@McGentrix,
What's even sadder is an entire staff, seemingly oblivious to the reckless disrespect and disregard the feckless clod has displayed for his constiuents, the Constitution and anything else which doesn't revolve around him.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2020 03:26 pm
@oralloy,
You seem to be practicing conflatio again Ollie.
Why do you say he was a traitor??
farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2020 03:41 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Similar to you denying Obama spied on a president elect? That has been proven

Lets say tht is true

1. does this tit for tatting logic of yours give Trump a free pass for his misfeasances and malfeasances??

No it doesnt.

2. When will this "proven" stuff ever be brought forward and if not, why not?

could it be that it llacks credibility??

Conspiracies are the easiest things to manufacture, where no evidence exists or claims of evidence that are all false or made-up.

coldjoint

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2020 05:21 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Conspiracies are the easiest things to manufacture, where no evidence exists or claims of evidence that are all false or made-up.

Killary and Obama knew that when they started the Russian ****. Documents prove Obama was briefed on Killary's plans and enabled her. It turns out Killary had a brainstorm that ended up wasting over three years of valuable time.

It is a tragedy that anyone thinks this is justifiable. Above the law bullshit.

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2020 05:44 pm
@coldjoint,
It certainly would be swell if you could back any of that up.

The Senate Republicans have already cleared her after two years of investigation. Want some proof? Its also been posted by the Federalists for Pete's sake.

Hillary Clinton Cleared of Mishandling Classified Information After 3-Year Private Email Probe, Trump So Far Silent
By Tareq Haddad On 10/19/19 at 6:12 AM EDT

https://www.newsweek.com/hillary-clinton-cleared-wrongdoing-private-email-probe-1466426

A major investigation into Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server while she was secretary of state found no evidence of deliberate mishandling of classified information.
'Hillary's Gone Crazy': Trump Defends Tulsi Gabbard after Clinton Criticism
Read more

The finding by the U.S. State Department, released on Friday by Republican Senator Chuck Grassley's office, follows a three-year investigation, for which Clinton handed over roughly 33,000 emails.

Assertions of wrongdoing had been a major cornerstone of President Donald Trump's 2016 election campaign—with repeated chants and demands to "lock up crooked Hillary"—however, Trump made no mention of the findings on Friday.

The investigation was launched by Grassley in 2017 when he was chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

If Trump and Senate Republicans want to "get" Obama, they'd better get on it. By February an awful lot of his scared and broke minions will be singing a canary cantata in a Federal or New York State Courthouse near you.
coldjoint

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2020 05:54 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Declassified docs show Obama admin knew of Hillary Clinton Russian dealings

Quote:
In his letter, Ratcliffe revealed that in July 2016, U.S. intelligence discovered Russian intelligence analysis “alleging that U.S. Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton had approved a campaign plan to stir up a scandal against U.S. Presidential candidate Donald Trump by [Russian president Vladimir] Putin and the Russians’ hacking of the Democratic National Conference.”

Ratcliffe also disclosed that the director of the CIA had briefed then-president Barack Obama and “other senior national security officials” on the Russian allegations. One allegation involved “approval by Hillary Clinton on July 26, 2016, of a proposal from one of her foreign policy advisors to vilify Donald Trump by stirring up a scandal claiming interference by Russian security services.”

There you go.
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/declassified-docs-show-obama-admin-knew-of-hillary-clinton-russian-dealings
More.
Quote:
Russian intel declassified: collusion hoax was Hillary’s idea, Obama was briefed

https://www.independentsentinel.com/russian-intel-collusion-hoax-was-hillarys-idea-obama-was-briefed/
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2020 06:18 pm
@coldjoint,
1. Who is Radcliffe?
2.Lifesitenews.com? Really?
3.independentsentinel.com? See note above.

Are you telling me no radical left reporter would give eye's teeth to break that? You think the New York Times wouldn't want to break that news? Look how they turned on Bill Clinton. How do you think "they" are keeping a cap on this? What would be the point? It isn't as if Hillary Clinton is going to be President, is it? Why do you hang onto that unsubstantiated piece of slander?
coldjoint

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2020 06:24 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

1. Who is Radcliffe?
2.Lifesitenews.com? Really?
3.independentsentinel.com? See note above.

Are you telling me no radical left reporter wouldn't give eye's teeth to break that? You think the New York Times wouldn't want to break that news? Look how they turned on Bill Clinton. How do you think "they" are keeping a cap on this? What would be the point? It isn't as if Hillary Clinton is going to be President, is it? Why do you hang onto that unsubstantiated piece of slander?

Quote:
1. Who is Radcliffe?

Did I say you were uninformed? Why do you even try to discuss politics?
Quote:
director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe

Try reading something, it is better than spouting rhetoric and you might learn something.

The article is fact. Who cares who tells you?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2020 06:29 pm
@coldjoint,
You know me better than that. I went to the sites, read "who we are" sections closely, scanned the homepages, got on my trusty search engine and checked them out. If you really don't know how sketchy both of those sites are, I'll be glad to post it for you.

You know I will.

Beside weren't you the guy who told Izzy he was required to prove he's right, PLUS you actually have to explain yourself: who is this guy Radcliffe? Give me something to check out. Make a statement, at least gimme some claims.