What's the point of speaking of evolution as having purpose?

djbt

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 03:38 am
Re: What's the point of speaking of evolution as having purp
John Creasy wrote:
There is enough evidence to prove that I am a direct descendant of a single celled organism?? What is this evidence? You didn't answer my question about how life started.

Are you a student/graduate/academic in the field of life sciences? If not, might I recommend that, if you are really interested in the topic, you devote five or six years of your life to studying it? Then you will be able to assess the evidence with some authority for yourself.

Apparently, amongst those who have devoted their time to the study of biology, 98% are of the opinion that evolution is proven.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 04:50 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
JJ, You're a christian, right?

Not particularly am I a christian.

Why is it you can't understand this?: A creature needs to to be named in order to describe an environment. You can't just say 'the environment'.
What is it with you scientists? Why can't understand your topic?
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 04:56 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
JJ, Read "The Origin of Species."

Is it because you actually don't understand this statement (below) or because your beliefs are being challenged that you ask me to read a book?:
a creature needs to be named in order to describe a creature's environment. In other words, the creature defines its environment. Why can't you see this? It's in black and white in front of you man.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 05:09 am
rosborne979 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
You cannot define an environment without saying what creature you are referring to.

The term "environment" can be used as a general description of surroundings and conditions, where the thing the environment surrounds is an arbitrary focal point.

en·vi·ron·ment P Pronunciation Key (n-vrn-mnt, -vrn-) - n.
1. The circumstances or conditions that surround one; surroundings.

For example, the Ocean is an environment, and the desert is an environment. The surfact of Mars is also an environment, and so is Outer Space, even though nothing lives there (that we know of).

But the *point* of all this was that the environment we live in today is not *perfect* for us just by chance. It's perfect for us because we evolved to fill it.

Your definition of environment doesn't work. The environment where the focal point is of a human is different to the environment where the same focal point is of a bacterium.

Simply by expanding a particular environment to something like 'the ocean' will include a whole range of life-forms, but we then lose particular environments for particular creatures. And we still cannot claim 'a creature becomes adapted to its environment'.

I have to tell you now, and others who share a similar interest to yourself, that the theory of evolution is flawed in at least this one respect: that confusions have arisen over the grammar of the term 'environment'. In particular, the definition 'environment' has mistakenly been regarded as a causal agency and that it acts upon itself (in this manner: 'a creature becomes adapted to its environment', where instead we should say a 'creature defines its environment').
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 05:46 am
If, in describing an environment, I state things like: % nitrogen/oxygen/CO2 in the air, temperature, length of days, average rainfall, etc., then why do I need to mention a particular creature?
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 06:42 am
djbt wrote:
John Creasy wrote:
There is enough evidence to prove that I am a direct descendant of a single celled organism?? What is this evidence? You didn't answer my question about how life started.

Are you a student/graduate/academic in the field of life sciences? If not, might I recommend that, if you are really interested in the topic, you devote five or six years of your life to studying it? Then you will be able to assess the evidence with some authority for yourself.

Apparently, amongst those who have devoted their time to the study of biology, 98% are of the opinion that evolution is proven.

That's not true genius. Many scientists have doubts about darwin's theory. Besides there's only so much science can prove, and after that it all becomes a guessing game.
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 07:29 am
I like to think of it as an educated-guessing game...

In any case, my point was that a2k philosophy forum is probably not the best place to discuss the truth or otherwise of the theory of evolution. You would be far better off studying under experts, and challenging them directly where you think they are mistaken, rather than discussing it with laymen like myself, where most of us are armed only with second-hand information, and have insufficient time to devote to research.

It may be the case that many scientists have doubts about evolution, but many more are certain is it correct, and the only way you or I are going to have anything useful to contribute to the debate is if we spend at least as much time as these scientists studying the matter.

I have chosen not to do this, and so have settled for believing what the majority of experts on the subject say. If I wish to challenge them, I'll try to make sure I know at least as much as them before I do.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 08:02 am
djbt wrote:

In any case, my point was that a2k philosophy forum is probably not the best place to discuss the truth or otherwise of the theory of evolution. You would be far better off studying under experts, and challenging them directly where you think they are mistaken, rather than discussing it with laymen like myself, where most of us are armed only with second-hand information, and have insufficient time to devote to research.

It may be the case that many scientists have doubts about evolution, but many more are certain is it correct, and the only way you or I are going to have anything useful to contribute to the debate is if we spend at least as much time as these scientists studying the matter.

I have chosen not to do this, and so have settled for believing what the majority of experts on the subject say. If I wish to challenge them, I'll try to make sure I know at least as much as them before I do.

Well that's fair enough.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 08:48 am
John Creasy wrote:
djbt wrote:
John Creasy wrote:

That's not true genius. Many scientists have doubts about darwin's theory. Besides there's only so much science can prove, and after that it all becomes a guessing game.

We weren't talking about just any old scientist. We were talking about the life scientists, and yes, the majority don't have doubts about Evolution.

Darwin's Theory, however, is a little on the old side and doesn't explain society because it has no mention of genes. If Darwin knew about genes, then he'd have changed his theory to state that Natural Selection is all about survival of the fittest genes, which would thus enable there to be an explanation of why there are societies.

(Helping others, means helping those that are likely to share copies of your genes and thus enable the survival of your genes).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 09:58 am
Both creatinism and evolution are theories that occupy man's intellectual limits. Creationism can only suggest what is obvious and impossible to answer; when and where did life begin? On the other hand, evolution has what is observable to scientific study. On that basis, it seems to me that evolution has it hand's down on evidence. If we can't prove creationism, the next best available evidence for man is evolution. The idea of creationism is based on the bible, and the bible only. The bible has too many errors, contradictions, and mistakes to take it too seriously. Contemporary science blows the basis of the bible's creationism out of the water. What we have left is "what else can it be?" Man may never know that answer, but many areas of science are now showing that evolution is a continual process for geology, fawna and flora. I'll trust evolution for now until obesrvable evidence shows us otherwise.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 10:39 am
djbt wrote:
If, in describing an environment, I state things like: % nitrogen/oxygen/CO2 in the air, temperature, length of days, average rainfall, etc., then why do I need to mention a particular creature?

Because some creatures do not use that 'environment'. It's only an environment if a creature uses it. In other words, if you know the creature, you know the environment.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 10:43 am
djbt wrote:

Rubbish. You don't need to know technical details to see if the house is built on sand. Just ask me if you have any problems with evolution. I have shat on them before, and will continue to do so from a great height with much noise. I am truly invincible.
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 10:50 am
John Jones wrote:
djbt wrote:

Because some creatures do not use that 'environment'. It's only an environment if a creature uses it. In other words, if you know the creature, you know the environment.

If you wish to use the word to mean that, fine. It's not the only way in which the word environment can be used. I could describe an environment in the terms above even if no creature ever 'used' it. We talk of Venus having an environment, for example. We talk about the environment on earth before the emergence of life. You're playing an irrelevant word game.
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 10:53 am
John Jones wrote:
djbt wrote:

Rubbish. You don't need to know technical details to see if the house is built on sand. Just ask me if you have any problems with evolution. I have shat on them before, and will continue to do so from a great height with much noise. I am truly invincible.

Good for you.

By the way, why do you think that a house is a useful analogue for a scientific theory, or sand an analogue for a weak scientific foundation? It seems to me one of the least useful analogues I've ever heard.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 11:00 am
djbt wrote:
John Jones wrote:
djbt wrote:

If you wish to use the word to mean that, fine. It's not the only way in which the word environment can be used. I could describe an environment in the terms above even if no creature ever 'used' it. We talk of Venus having an environment, for example. We talk about the environment on earth before the emergence of life. You're playing an irrelevant word game.

You provide us with a description of Venus that might be of interest to life-forms. Otherwise, the environment on Venus could be 100 feet down inside a granite block.

Don't be too quick to dismiss thinking it through as 'word-games'. Even if a mis-use of language in the sciences is infrequent, we can be led seriously astray if we drop our guard.
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 11:39 am
What's wrong with an environment being 100 feet down inside a granite block?

Your argument seems to be entirely circular. You say you cannot describe an environment without reference to a creature, then when an example is given of an environment which cannot be described with reference to creature because it does not contain any creatures, you seem to say that that isn't an environment, because it doesn't contain any creatures. That's not thinking it through, it's thinking round in circles.

John Jones wrote:
Even if a mis-use of language in the sciences is infrequent, we can be led seriously astray if we drop our guard.

Well, yes, I'm sure we all agree with that. But we're not arguing the general point, you're saying that the word environment is being mis-used, a point which you're yet to make a case for.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 01:44 pm
Astrophysics, abstract
astro-ph/9910429
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 20:44:46 GMT (44kb)

The galactic environment of the Sun
Authors: P. C. Frisch
Comments: 30 pages, 2 figures, JGR-Space Physics, in press

The interstellar cloud surrounding the solar system regulates the galactic environment of the Sun and constrains the physical characteristics of the interplanetary medium. This paper compares interstellar dust grain properties observed within the solar system with dust properties inferred from observations of the cloud surrounding the solar system. Properties of diffuse clouds in the solar vicinity are discussed to gain insight into the properties of the diffuse cloud complex flowing past the Sun. Evidence is presented for changes in the galactic environment of the Sun within the next 10$^4$--10$^6$ years. The combined history of changes in the interstellar environment of the Sun, and solar activity cycles, will be recorded in the variability of the ratio of large- to medium-sized interstellar dust grains deposited onto geologically inert surfaces. Combining data from lunar core samples in the inner and outer solar system will assist in disentangling these two effects.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 01:47 pm
The evolution of galaxies and their environment proceedings of the Third Teton Summer School on Astrophysics, sponsored by the Universities of Colorado and Wyoming, Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming USA, July 5-10, 1992
By: David J Hollenbach; Harley A Thronson; J Michael Shull
Type: English : Book : Non-fiction
Publisher: Moffett Field, Calif. : National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Ames Research Center, 1993.
Subjects: Galaxies -- Congresses. -- Evolution | Astrophysics -- Congresses.

Related: Title/Author Search | Other editions of item
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 03:27 pm
djbt wrote:
What's wrong with an environment being 100 feet down inside a granite block?

Your argument seems to be entirely circular. You say you cannot describe an environment without reference to a creature, then when an example is given of an environment which cannot be described with reference to creature because it does not contain any creatures, you seem to say that that isn't an environment, because it doesn't contain any creatures. That's not thinking it through, it's thinking round in circles.

John Jones wrote:
Even if a mis-use of language in the sciences is infrequent, we can be led seriously astray if we drop our guard.

Well, yes, I'm sure we all agree with that. But we're not arguing the general point, you're saying that the word environment is being mis-used, a point which you're yet to make a case for.

If I cannot describe an environment without reference to a creature, then where there are no creatures I cannot refer to an environment. If either of us refer to a granite block as an environment, rather than as a physical situation, then we are constrained to construct attributes that a creature requires to live in it. Why are we so constrained?

The way the term 'environment' is used. Attributes define a creature but they are also only attributes in particular physical situations. In other words, a creature defines environment, and vice versa. Unless, of course, we equivocate the term 'environment'(see below). This should dispel the apparant 'circularity'.
We can limit the use of the term 'environment' by expanding its definition to include physical situations not associated with life-forms. This would be the other use of the word that would contribute to any equivocation.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 03:36 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Astrophysics, abstract
astro-ph/9910429
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 20:44:46 GMT (44kb)

The galactic environment of the Sun
Authors: P. C. Frisch
Comments: 30 pages, 2 figures, JGR-Space Physics, in press

The interstellar cloud surrounding the solar system regulates the galactic environment of the Sun and constrains the physical characteristics of the interplanetary medium. This paper compares interstellar dust grain properties observed within the solar system with dust properties inferred from observations of the cloud surrounding the solar system. Properties of diffuse clouds in the solar vicinity are discussed to gain insight into the properties of the diffuse cloud complex flowing past the Sun. Evidence is presented for changes in the galactic environment of the Sun within the next 10$^4$--10$^6$ years. The combined history of changes in the interstellar environment of the Sun, and solar activity cycles, will be recorded in the variability of the ratio of large- to medium-sized interstellar dust grains deposited onto geologically inert surfaces. Combining data from lunar core samples in the inner and outer solar system will assist in disentangling these two effects.

Wouldn't the use of the term 'environment' here be a good example of either anthropomorphism or 'life-ism' in science? Even if this is acceptable, we find here a merging of two terms 'physical situation' and 'environment', to the impoverishment of the latter. Confusing grammar is rife in science and theories are constructed by it. We have brain 'disorder' for example. Are we losing the battle? Is bad grammar serving the sciences?
0 Replies