What's the point of speaking of evolution as having purpose?

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 11:24 pm
Thanks for showing up, rosborne. Teleology is the word I learned long ago for all that.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 07:16 am
ossobuco wrote:
Thanks for showing up, rosborne. Teleology is the word I learned long ago for all that.

Hi Oss, nice to hear from you as well.

I'll have to add Teleology to my brain. Then I won't have to write such a long example to explain Wink
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 09:01 am
Re: What's the point of speaking of evolution as having purp
Ray wrote:
Warning: constant rambling ahead.

It seems that when we look at patterns found in nature, when we group them, often attached to these understandings of the events found in nature we attach things such thing as "purpose" to them. For example, we look at the ecosystem, we see that there is a food chain occuring, and some of us try to justify certain things in society by referring to it. It's as if the events occuring in nature outside humanity is given a God status to it, a status that is not to be violated. A person thinking that they can do whatever they like would justify their actions by saying that "hey in nature, the strong takes over the weak." Such rationalization is what we now call an anti-social argument, an argument used by psychopaths or sociopaths. Behind these arguments, the argumentors fail to realize, that just because something is happening in nature, it does not give it any inherent justification. Events occur for random things (in all probability), meaning that it is not guided by a supreme hand that controls every events. They also fail to realize that events are not static, they change. Finally, what they fail to realize most of all, is that people are a part of nature. Thus, many people see the irrationale of such arguments, and they look for the truth, looking at not merely facts recited in words but facts recited in the understanding of a certain thing, and we see how such an argument has no basic grounds.

We are part of the system and anything we do or say is an event occuring in the system, so an argument of something doing a certain thing because it's naturally justified will not hold.

So why speak of evolution as something purposeful?

HERE, HERE!

haven't read the rest yet, but fully concur with your approach.

All research into evolution, and descriptive evaluations of natural phenomena are merely deconstuction of the remnants of milenia of mutational changes, and where they have, purely by chance, led.

[chaos is not definable, but can be described.]
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 09:36 am
John Creasy wrote:
Maybe because the odds against all of this happening purely accidentally are astronomical. This world is not an accident my friend.

Strange that you would bring up a discussion of "odds", and chance, as an arguement that chance cannot, even in an "astronomical" timeframe, have extreme effects.

[the point often missed, and this thread is an example, is that things have evolved the way they are over an immense length of time, simply because that is what has happened! We are reading the aftermath of 'chance' and any awe is totally unjustified. The wondrous colours of butterfly wings are mere sideshows to the virulent paracitic uglyness of the 'natural kingdom'.
It is now our opportunity to change evolutionary history, create new forms of life that need not kill each other to survive; or the whole thing may go up in smoke!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 11:33 am
John Creasy wrote:
Maybe because the odds against all of this happening purely accidentally are astronomical.

When dropping a penny from a skyscraper, the odds against it landing on a *particular* spot are astronomical. And yet the penny will land someplace every time.

Since we will either evolve to ask the question or not, and since the question is always the same once we evolve to ask it, the chance that we are asking it, is not astronomical, but inevitible.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 08:48 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
Ray wrote:
So why speak of evolution as something purposeful?

Evolution has no purpose, and is not a purpose. It is an aspect of nature, nothing more.

Many people have a hard time imagining a universe without purpose, or even a world without thought. Try it for a moment... it gives a strange feeling if you can get it...

Imagine the primordial Earth, with only single celled creatures living in its seas. The sun rises and sets each day, the waves lap at the shores. Storms sweep the oceans and the land, but there is nothing there to see it, nothing watching, nothing thinking. The planet is like this for hundreds of millions of years as continents drift about on the surface like butter on a hot skillet. Life is growing in the seas, but there is nothing watching, nothing cares.

This may seem like a fantasy world to many, but it really happened. It's our history and it's very real. Just as the world existed before each of us was born, it also existed before the human race was born. And it existed before the first flickers of thought ever formed the the simplest of neural bundles in the crawlies of ancient seas.

The naked truth is that there is nothing watching us and nothing putting things in motion. There never has been. As far as we know, even today, we humans are the first and only thing which has ever perceived the processes of nature. Is it any surprise that most people see those processes as reflections of themselves, and ascribe to them, a purpose.

Well that's a nice story, but I don't believe it and contrary to what some insist, you can't prove it. How did those single celled creature come to life? How did a single celled organism turn into a freakin human being? Why did some creatures evolve and others didn't? I concede that to a certain extent, evolution has taken place, but I don't buy Darwinism, and even if I did I don't see how it could happen without some force guiding it.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 08:52 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
John Creasy wrote:
Maybe because the odds against all of this happening purely accidentally are astronomical.

When dropping a penny from a skyscraper, the odds against it landing on a *particular* spot are astronomical. And yet the penny will land someplace every time.

Since we will either evolve to ask the question or not, and since the question is always the same once we evolve to ask it, the chance that we are asking it, is not astronomical, but inevitible.

You lost me there.

The fact is, the conditions of this planet are so fragile that if you changed one aspect (oxygen, distance to the sun, etc.) life would be impossible. Yet we are still spinning around perfectly after all these thousands of years....
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 09:33 pm
Man impacts nature more than we realize, and evolution is only one aspect of understanding what happens when nature or man changes the environment by development of land for our use or what happens after natural disasters such as fires, floods and global warming.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:36 am
What are the odds against an eternal, omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent being that created everything?
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 01:04 am
Quote:
Maybe because the odds against all of this happening purely accidentally are astronomical. This world is not an accident my friend.

So are we pawns?

It is, in a way, not an accident because the world resulted from causes in the past. I don't believe in a supreme God separate from us that causes the universe to evolve. If I believe in any higher force, it is the universe itself, something that we are all a part of, and ultimately something that we are responsible for. I don't believe that the universe is conscious, but I believe that we, a part of that universe, are, and our choices do matter. This is not the question of the thread though, but thnx for bringing it up.
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 09:09 am
BoGoWo wrote:
We are reading the aftermath of 'chance' and any awe is totally unjustified. The wondrous colours of butterfly wings are mere sideshows to the virulent paracitic uglyness of the 'natural kingdom'.
It is now our opportunity to change evolutionary history, create new forms of life that need not kill each other to survive; or the whole thing may go up in smoke!

Here, here!

John Creasy wrote:
The fact is, the conditions of this planet are so fragile that if you changed one aspect (oxygen, distance to the sun, etc.) life would be impossible. Yet we are still spinning around perfectly after all these thousands of years....

Were this true, why would we bother to look for life on Mars?
And haven't the atmospheric conditions on Earth changed dramatically over the course of history? Different amounts of oxygen/CO2, ozone layer/no ozone layer, ice ages, meteor strikes etc. etc. With all the cases, its no surprise to find that the creatures that survived were one which had evolved to survive in those conditions. To look at life now and say 'how amazing, were the conditions on Earth different we wouldn't survive' is to put the cart before the horse.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 09:57 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
What are the odds against an eternal, omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent being that created everything?

What are the odds that non-life can produce life by pure chance?
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 10:19 pm
Quote:
What are the odds that non-life can produce life by pure chance?

What are the odds that a person would win a lottery? Yet people still win lotteries. Asking about odds do not solve it one way or the other...
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 05:17 am
John Creasy wrote:
The fact is, the conditions of this planet are so fragile that if you changed one aspect (oxygen, distance to the sun, etc.) life would be impossible.

No. Only *our* form of life might be impossible, but other forms of life would have evolved to fit the new conditions you propose. And if those forms of life happened to evolve intelligence, they would be asking the exact same questions we are asking, and they would be saying "our conditions are perfect for life, any change would make us impossible".

And that brings us fill circle to where we are now.

Arguments of probability and arguments of condition perfection are non-sequitir.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 10:10 am
We are here because of our environment....not the earth is here because of us.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 12:33 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
We are here because of our environment....not the earth is here because of us.

This is circular reasoning. Our environment is defined by our needs. Every creature has a different environment defined by its needs. We can't say we had an environment which we moved into.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 12:46 pm
I disagree; our environment is not defined by "our needs." Nature does whatever it does without regard to "our needs."
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 12:53 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I disagree; our environment is not defined by "our needs." Nature does whatever it does without regard to "our needs."

Nature does whatever it does without regard to our needs. AND our needs define our environment. A slug needs plants, oxygen, water. So its environment is defined by plants, oxygen, water. This is a question of grammar. 'Environment' is a term of convenience for describing what an animal needs to be physically viable.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 01:39 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
John Creasy wrote:
The fact is, the conditions of this planet are so fragile that if you changed one aspect (oxygen, distance to the sun, etc.) life would be impossible.

No. Only *our* form of life might be impossible, but other forms of life would have evolved to fit the new conditions you propose. And if those forms of life happened to evolve intelligence, they would be asking the exact same questions we are asking, and they would be saying "our conditions are perfect for life, any change would make us impossible".

Arguments of probability and arguments of condition perfection are non-sequitir.

Can you prove that a single celled orgainism is my ancestor? Why didn't all single celled organisms evolve? How did the first organism just magically come to life from nothing?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 01:49 pm
John Creasy wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
John Creasy wrote:

Can you prove that a single celled orgainism is my ancestor?

It cannot be proven 100% any more than the theory of atoms can, but there is more than enough evidence of it for a reasonable, objective person to understand that it's true. One can see the mechanism of evolution in action in the world, as when bacteria develop immunity to medicines. One can piece together the fossil evidence of the origin of species and see their sequential development. Of course, there is no convincing people who just don't wish to believe something.

John Creasy wrote:
Why didn't all single celled organisms evolve? How did the first organism just magically come to life from nothing?

The fact that certain individual single celled organisms have useful mutations, and beget lines of more sophisticated creatures, in no way causes other single celled organisms to do so.
0 Replies