Does Trump appeal to bullies?

vikorr

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 04:58 am
Out of Curiosity, does anything else think that Trump appeals to the segment of the population that are, or wish they could get away with being:
- loudmouthed,
- slogan chanting,
- populist,
- bullies?

My view of what makes great leaders is persons who are:
- charismatic,
- articulate
- thoughtful
- people who treat others with respect, and
- are leaders by example

I would include people of integrity in there, but that is asking a bit much of politicians - integrity for them is a matter of degrees. Still, the ones at the bottom of the integrity tree are further down my list of preferred politicians.

But the point of the list that I don't see much if any of that in Trump, so he really doesn't appeal to me as a person. But I do see a lot of the top list behaviour, and he obviously appeals, as a person, to a lot of people. So back to my question - do others think that Trump appeals to the bullies and wannabe bullies in the US population? As a note, that is all this question ask - ie. the question is not asked regarding why he appeals to other sections of the community .

Thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 3,209 • Replies: 85

FreedomEyeLove

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 05:43 am
Do you live in the U.S.?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 07:26 am
@vikorr,
I see a lot of angry, loudmouthed liberals in pink hats who are definitely not Trump supporters.

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 08:47 am
@vikorr,
You assume that Trump's appeal comes from your first list of characteristics. I think his appeal has nothing to do with any of that. I think deep down his appeal is that he does not have a "D" next to his name.

I agree with you about what makes a great/good leader. And I agree Trump shows little if any of those character traits. And I think most republicans would agree. Personally, I do not like Trump the man. I don't think I would ever want to sit down with him and have dinner. I voted for him in the last election, not because I liked his character, but because I disliked Hillary and her character and actions more than I disliked his character.

It was my hope that Trump would tire of being president and that someone else would head the republican ticket that was more "presidential." So I have a much more difficult decision this time around.
justaguy2

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 09:23 am
@vikorr,
He's a populist who exploits legitimate issues and appeals to the worst in people, including bullies, racists, etc.

He's also a symptom of far deeper problems in America.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 10:27 am
@CoastalRat,
Trump's accomplishments in the name of the Republican ticket don't keep you from overlooking his character in your decision?
CoastalRat

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 11:16 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue, I know and like the things he has done. And, given that Biden, in my opinion, is not all there and is part of a democratic party that supports way too many things that I cannot, I will likely find myself holding my nose again and voting for Trump. I just wish, like many (most?) Trump supporters that he would be a bit less irritating.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 11:41 am
@vikorr,
Would people support a liberal Trump... someone who was loudmouthed, slogan chanting and populist, but who believed in public health care and immigrant rights?

(I personally hope that AOC never runs for the White House.)
coldjoint

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 11:54 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Would people support a liberal Trump... someone who was loudmouthed, slogan chanting and populist, but who believed in public health care and immigrant rights?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puvQlVvhh2Y[/youtube]

(I personally hope that AOC never runs for the White House.)

Trump believes in public health and rights for LEGAL immigrants.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 11:59 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Ha Ha. Good one Coldjoint.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 12:19 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

coldjoint wrote:

Ha Ha. Good one Coldjoint.

No reason not to call out your lies when I see them.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 12:23 pm
@coldjoint,
Trump has done everything he possibly can to dump on legal immigrants. He has blocked visas, raised fees, and made it more difficult for immigrants to marry legally...

Under Trump, legal immigration has declined by 87,000 people.

oralloy

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 12:27 pm
@maxdancona,
You've done everything you can to help him do so.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 12:37 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Trump has done everything he possibly can to dump on legal immigrants. He has blocked visas, raised fees, and made it more difficult for immigrants to marry legally...

Under Trump, legal immigration has declined by 87,000 people.

Legal immigration had the lottery Trump eliminated. That makes up quite a bit of that 87,000. He is also not a fan of chain migration and for good reasons. If visas are blocked, there are reasons. Have you even tried to see why they are being denied? I bet you have no idea. It is just easy to claim Trump is a xenophobic and against legal immigration, which simply is not true.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 02:31 pm
@coldjoint,
Suppose some politician says "I don't oppose guns, I only oppose illegal guns". Then this asshole enacts policies that restrict legal gun use, to lower the number of guns available and make it harder to get guns all for "good reason"...

You would understand completely that he is full of ****.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 02:41 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Suppose some politician says "I don't oppose guns, I only oppose illegal guns". Then this asshole enacts policies that restrict legal gun use, to lower the number of guns available and make it harder to get guns all for "good reason"...

You would understand completely that he is full of ****.

Suppose you just admit vetting legal immigrants is a good thing.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 02:42 pm
@coldjoint,
So, you are answering the OP in the affirmative.

(not that there was any doubt about you)
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 02:44 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Will you admit that vetting legal guns is a good thing?
coldjoint

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 02:49 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

coldjoint wrote:

Will you admit that vetting legal guns is a good thing?

Because we are not talking about guns, I will not change the subject. Apparently you have to. Why?
maxdancona

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 02:51 pm
@coldjoint,
Because you are in a tight little ideological bubble. I am trying to show you a different perspective by comparing it to an issue you support.

I feel about immigrants the way that you feel about guns. If you don't want to understand a point of view outside of your bubble, then just ignore me.