The Anti-Muslim predjudice on A2K is wrong.

Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 09:58 pm
Dys has hit the nail on the head in this thread more than any amount of text the rest of us produce. People who indulge in Muslim-bashing are demonizing the "enemy." Terrorism has no state, no capital, no identifiable army. Therefore, far too many people think it is acceptable to demonize all Muslims. It's disgusting, no matter what rationale people trot out.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 10:04 pm
But I at least have seen very little of this on A2K, and none at all on this thread.

I have, however, seen a good deal of rather sweeping criticisms of Christianity and Christians. I understand your rationalization - Christians are more ubiquitous in your neighborhood. That makes it OK - at least in your view..
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 10:06 pm
I agree with Set's opinion about christians vs Muslims, so that's a QED for me too!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 10:08 pm
Prejudice is prejudice.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 10:17 pm
Prejudice is justified when a group of religious people influence our government in a way that takes away our personal freedoms (trying to overturn Roe vs Wade), restricts scientific research (stem cell), and uses the power of their office to save one brain damaged woman whiile we have thousands of children in this country without health insurance. Yes, I'm prejudiced against those fundamentalist christians who would do everyting in their power to take away my freedoms from their religious beliefs while ignoring the real needs of our citizens.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 10:21 pm
Analogous arguments were used to rationalize the internment of Japanese citizens in California during WWII. Do you approve of that?

The issues you have cited are political and legal. Many oppose your views on these questions on other than religious bases. Do you advocate such prejudice against them as well?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 10:26 pm
You're comparing apples and oranges.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 10:33 pm
No I am not. If it is fair and appropriate to prejudge the worth of one group of individuals, then what is to stop the same kind of thing being applied to another?

Setanta's defense was that there are more Christians than Moslems in his neighborhood and that, in his judgement, the Christians represented a more proximate threat to his safety or security or whatever. (Odd in view of 9/11). Californians made exactly the same argument with respect to Japanese-Americans.

If you don't like prejudicial words and actions taken against Moslems, why encourage or rationalize them against Christians?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 11:39 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
But I at least have seen very little of this on A2K, and none at all on this thread.

I have, however, seen a good deal of rather sweeping criticisms of Christianity and Christians. I understand your rationalization - Christians are more ubiquitous in your neighborhood. That makes it OK - at least in your view..

Pompous foolishness . . . no, "it" is not OK, because i am not guilty of "it." I am not rationalizing, i'm pointing out that i make valid criticisms of christian fanatics, and that these are the people i have to deal with in my life. I have had no problems, ever, from the Muslims in my area. I live in the area with the largest Somali population in the country, too, by the way.

Your "onward christian soldiers" attitudes, combined with your hilarious "secular humanist" conspiracy theory get tedious after a while, especially as you so commonly selectively note or outright distort the historical record to attempt to support your propaganda.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 11:46 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
No I am not. If it is fair and appropriate to prejudge the worth of one group of individuals, then what is to stop the same kind of thing being applied to another?

Setanta's defense was that there are more Christians than Moslems in his neighborhood and that, in his judgement, the Christians represented a more proximate threat to his safety or security or whatever. (Odd in view of 9/11). Californians made exactly the same argument with respect to Japanese-Americans.

If you don't like prejudicial words and actions taken against Moslems, why encourage or rationalize them against Christians?

This is typical of your willful distortions--i specifically stated, as anyone can easily read here, that fanatical christians are a proximate threat to my liberties, not "safety or security or whatever." It was an explanation, not a defense, as i see no reason to defend my actions in this matter. You can't be bothered to accurately quote me, because it won't support your silly argument. September 11th has nothing to do with that, because i am not in an area likely to be the target of terrorists. I do live in an area with quite a few vocal and active christian fanatics, that makes it a valid concern, and that explains why i have a lot of criticism for them. Attempting to equate that to the internment of the Japanese is just another example of the depths of scurrility to which you will gladly plunge to sustain your silly argument.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 12:36 am
Setanta wrote:
Certainly Miss Flyer is to be commended for her honestly, but i have a real problem with this:

Piffka wrote:
Moreover, Muslims have a huge tendency to be insular... to only help "their own." It is not just the outsiders like me who see this... the adherents are themselves trying to be different, to create their own enclave in the midst of a free society. I know that German Baptists AND the Mormons AND other religious sects get that same kind of resentment in this state. They don't even want to "fit in" with our society... what's not to resent there? I have some real problems with people who come to my "free" society and then set up a bunch of rules for themselves that begin to spill over onto me.

I woud be interested to know how the insular character of Muslims will spill over onto you. You write: "I have some real problems with people who come to my 'free' society and the set up a bunch of rules for themselves . . ."--just before your spilling over onto you contention. How is a society a free society if they cannot live as they choose? Absent criminal activity, they are free to live how they choose, without regard to how relatively uncomfortable that may make you.

I feel a little awkward getting back to you so late, Setanta, especially after this thread has taken such a long & vociferous turning. Obviously, you are much more skilled in rhetoric and history than I; however I can answer your question and thank you for recognizing that I am trying to be as honest as possible.

It is my belief that anyone who wants to come to this country and is allowed in without subterfuge should have the freedom to live life as they like it within the confines of law and custom. But, freedom begins and ends where one disallows the freedom of someone else. The insular character that I referred to begins with the many Muslims living in western countries who agreed that Salman Rushdie has gone too far in his book, The Satanic Verses. Their agreement was that due to Rushdie's disrespect as detailed by the fatwa of an Iranian cleric, he deserved to die. That, to me, is taking one's religious enclave within my free society too far. That's spilling onto me... How can I ever trust them, having once seen that they'd so quickly, so willingly accept such a fatwa that flies in the face of our freedoms?

Setanta wrote:
You mentioned the Mormons--are you aware that the United States and the Mormons fought two "wars," and that the Second Mormon War in 1857-58 required the dispatch of United States troops? There has been no comparable behavior by Muslims who are citizens of this country. I find your objections odd, to say the least.

Yes, it is a sad fact that I know more about the Mormons than I'd really like to know. Surely you are not trying to stand up for them, especially for any of the extremely unpleasant behavior of their early days? I mentioned the Mormons because the fundamentalists of that religious treat their women with the same callousness that the Muslim fundamentalists treat theirs.

In the Tacoma mosque the women are not allowed to speak, of course. Further, they are kept as separate as they would be in the Middle East. They like it that way, we are assured by their men. Within a month or two after 9/11/01 we asked for speakers from that mosque and gave their mosque a donation for the privilege. It was a somewhat vain attempt to encourage a dialog between us. They refused to allow their women to speak. Only the men could talk to an audience. This, even though we assured them that most of the audience would be women. Now, some might call that their own brand of freedom, but I don't like it. Even more, I am free not to like it.

I do, however, like Taslima Nasrin and her version of tolerance.

Quote:
"All religions are hostile to women, without exception," asserts writer Taslima Nasreen in an interview on the occasion of the annual world education week. "They oppose the freedom and the rights of women, who they oppress with the same claims that culture, conventions and patriarchal systems do. I refer to Islam in particular, because it opposes democracy, human rights and the emancipation of women. In Islamic countries, the situation is worse than elsewhere because there is no clear distinction between religion and the state. The law is rooted in the religion and that is the source of all evil for women."

Quote:
Diversity is a treasure to be appreciated. There is no superior, no inferior, culture in this world, only various cultural patterns that make up our beautiful multicolored mosaic. But, humans should not allow oppression in the name of religion or culture. Humans should not allow torture such as female genital mutilation. Humans should not allow barbarism, humiliation, inequality, or injustice in the name of culture. Culture should not be and must not be used against humanity.

When I look around, I see the same picture everywhere: women are oppressed. Whether they are poor or rich, beautiful or ugly, have blue, black or brown eyes, have white, black and brown skin, are unmarried or married, illiterate or literate, believer or non-believer, women are oppressed. Everywhere women are oppressed, and the source of the problem is male-devised patriarchy, religion, tradition, culture, and customs. Because of blind faith, humans are suffering bloodshed, hatred, ignorance, illiteracy, injustices, and poverty. But if we on Earth sincerely wanted to replace injustice with justice, we could eliminate all the problems of humanity which are caused by a blind faith in religion. Both the Judeo-Christian Bible and the Qur'an clearly accept and condone slavery. Jesus explicitly tells slaves to accept their roles and obey their masters. No one in this world today would defend chattel slavery in any public forum or allow it under any legal code. Neither fundamentalist Christians nor Orthodox Jews talk about animal sacrifice or slavery. In those countries in which sharia or Islamic law exists, where stoning for adultery and amputation for stealing are legalized, no legitimization of slavery is ever mentioned. Polygamy and concubinage are clearly accepted in the Old Testament, but nowhere in the Judeo-Christian world are either of these practices legalized. Thus, insistence upon continuing those practices that denigrate, oppress, and suppress women under the guise of scriptural reference is a sham. Such practices could and should be de-legitimized just as chattel slavery has been de-legitimized.

Humankind is facing an uncertain future. The probability of new kinds of rivalry and conflict looms large. In particular, the conflict is between two different ideas, those of secularism and fundamentalism. I don't agree with those who think the conflict is between two religions, namely Christianity and Islam, or Judaism and Islam. After all, there are fundamentalists in every religious community. I don't agree with those people who think that the crusades of the Middle Ages are going to be repeated soon. Nor do I think that this is a conflict between the East and the West. To me, this conflict is basically between modern, rational, logical thinking and irrational, blind faith. To me, this is a conflict between modernity and anti-modernism. While some strive to go forward, others strive to go backward. It is a conflict between the future and the past, between innovation and tradition, between those who value freedom and those who do not.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 12:52 am
Diane wrote:
Brandon, my answer to your question is "No."

Now you're just kidding yourself.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 01:45 am
No, Miss Flyer, i was not defending the Mormons and cannot imagine what would lead you to assume as much. I was simply pointing out that in this country we tolerate religious sectaries who have given us far more grief than the Muslims among us have, to date at any event.

Mr. Justice Holmes observed that freedom of speech does not protect the right to cry "Fire!" in a crowded theater. In the case of the communities to which you object, you are in the first place projecting approval of the fatwah onto every Muslim, and i doubt that you can back up such a contention; and secondly, even were that so, so long as they don't cry "Fire!," so long as they do not advocate nor practice crime, they are indeed free in this country to live as they choose. Does it not occur to you that this entails a working definition of tolerance? Does it not occur to you that your cultural preferences are likely as distasteful to them as are theirs to you? Does it not occur to you that any member of said community who feels as you do actually has the opportunity to escape, and live as they choose? Lest you contend that they, meaning specifically the oppressed women to whom you have referred, lack the resources to do so, i would point out to you that their case is the same as non-Muslim women trapped in abusive relationships. Absent criminal behavior, there is nothing which can be done about the situation--and in a truly free society, although it may seem unfortunate, nothing should be attempted against those who stay within the confines of the law. Many of the most abusive practices against women and especially girls take place in African communities, whether or not Muslim. Do you equally object to their immigration and residence here on that basis? What you suggest is for my taste, too redolent of intolerance and the imposition of one set of values upon people to whom those values are inimical, when there is no legal justification for that imposition. I cannot agree with your point of view on this matter.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 06:14 am
Setanta wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:

Pompous foolishness . . . no, "it" is not OK, because i am not guilty of "it." I am not rationalizing, i'm pointing out that i make valid criticisms of christian fanatics, and that these are the people i have to deal with in my life. I have had no problems, ever, from the Muslims in my area. I live in the area with the largest Somali population in the country, too, by the way.

Perhaps if you were to reread some of your earlier posts on this thread, you would modify your defense above. Now you claim you are only making "valid criticisms of Christian fanatics". However your repeated statements go much farther than that, both in the number of Christians included and in the extent of your mocking mischaracterizations. I submit that even remotely equivalent sweeping criticism of Moslems would bring down the wrath of the PC crowd here and, in particular, yours -- as it already has even in the case of highly qualified and even restrained criticism - as illustrated again above.

Quote:
Your "onward christian soldiers" attitudes, combined with your hilarious "secular humanist" conspiracy theory get tedious after a while, especially as you so commonly selectively note or outright distort the historical record to attempt to support your propaganda.

You are just throwing dust in the air in an attempt to distract attention from the absurdity of the corner into which you have painted yourself. I have not exhibited anything remotely like the attitude to which you refer. Nor have I raised here any references to a conspiracy, secular humanist or otherwise. I have not distorted history at all. Instead I have simply pointed out the rather considerable hypocrisy and intolerance implicit in your sweeping and mocking mischaracterizations of Christians - and anyone who has the temerity to confront your bombast and overlong, overheated rhetoric.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 06:32 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Perhaps if you were to reread some of your earlier posts on this thread, you would modify your defense above. Now you claim you are only making "valid criticisms of Christian fanatics". However your repeated statements go much farther than that, both in the number of Christians included and in the extent of your mocking mischaracterizations. I submit that even remotely equivalent sweeping criticism of Moslems would bring down the wrath of the PC crowd here and, in particular, yours -- as it already has even in the case of highly qualified and even restrained criticism - as illustrated again above.

Keep your snotty remarks about a "PC" crowd out of it, that sort of clownish remark is thoroughly unwarranted, as you clearly are unable to distinguish between the racism condemned in this thread and the condemnation of a religion. Lash's comments about "towel heads" living in a "stone age" with a god who defecated all over them, and specifically stating this applies to all of the middle east, is racist. No such thing is illustrated, your overheated, fevered indignation is all that shows--condemning christianity and certain fanatical christians is not an exercise in racism. I haven't charaterized them based on a racial category, i haven't characterized their way of life, i don't call for their internment (another of your ludicrous and inflamatory contentions), i do not call for their destruction. You're simply indignant that someone would poke your sacred cow--too bad, so sad, get over it.

Quote:
You are just throwing dust in the air in an attempt to distract attention from the absurdity of the corner into which you have painted yourself. I have not exhibited anything remotely like the attitude to which you refer. Nor have I raised here any references to a conspiracy, secular humanist or otherwise. I have not distorted history at all. Instead I have simply pointed out the rather considerable hypocrisy and intolerance implicit in your sweeping and mocking mischaracterizations of Christians - and anyone who has the temerity to confront your bombast and overlong, overheated rhetoric.

Talk about overlong and overheated rhetoric throwing dust in the air--you take the cake, oh thou King of Bombast. In any such discussion you jump up and start running around, à la Chicken Little, shouting about how the accomplishments of christians are being belittled--and it is part and parcel with your paranoia against secularism, as you deem it. You distort history constantly, make the necessary omissions when you cannot accomplish that. It's just the same as in Dys' thread when i made a wry comment about "the shining city on the hill" and the execution of witches, to which you responded with typical bombast about Puritan accomplishments. You're a one-trick pony, and its tedious. I specify fanatical christians, and do not "mockingly mischaracterize" all christians. Were you not so blinded by your conservative political rectitude, you might see the threads in which i have specifically praised christian communities, and in which i am careful to note that it is fanatics, and not all christians, whom i condemn.

See if you can learn the distinction between condemning fanatical christians and making invidious and disgusting racist comments about all the inhabitants of the middle east--then you might begin to understand what is under discussion here.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 07:30 am
There was this bunch of protestants one time that decided to make their way to the land of milk and honey (california) so they put together a wagon train and heded west. Being the stout hearted protestants that they were they decided to make their way through the southern portion of the land of the mormon. Well, it seems the land of the mormon was in the solid contol of the mormon church/territorial government and they objected rigorously to "christians" crossing their land so they sent a latter to the good brethern mormon men of this area instructing them to dress like savages (native americans) and kick some ass. And so it came to pass that the good brethern did as they were ordered and slaughter every manjack one of the tresspassers, men, women and children alike. The good brethern of the chuch/government then had the press (probably liberal bastards) run the story about how "savages" had run amok kiling a few passers-by. This godly action seems to have gotten the message across as no other protestants bothered to attempt crossing the land of the mormon. The "savages" were dutifully punished for their crime as well.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 07:56 am
Somewhere in this thread and in the previous two battlegrounds there is a discussion wanting to happen regarding what's going on in the Arab world. I don't think this thread is necessarily the place for it, so I started another. http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1447198#1447198

All are welcome if they have something to say or are just curious.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 08:08 am
Lash wrote:
kicky

You may think nigger and towelhead are equal in insult value. (I cannot believe this conversation...)

I don't think they're in the same ballpark. When you and everyone else excoriate the legions here who insult Bible thumpers and rednecks and Christianists (you are a major offender, eh?) and all the other slurs against Southerners, Christians and other non-protected minorities, I may take your deep sensitivity toward "towelhead" seriously.

I never said I was above reproach. But you, on the other hand, seem to prefer getting all self-righteous and pointing out everyone else's flaws to actually admitting your own mistakes. Look at this thread, Lash. Almost 25 pages and not one person has agreed with you in your defense of using the term "towelhead". Why won't you just admit it was a stupid thing to say?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 08:29 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Diane wrote:
...BTW, I can't think of one liberal who defends or supports terrorism or terrorists. Had to get that off my chest.

Can you think of any liberals who criticize various aspects of the fight against terrorism so much that it undermines the effort?

If an effort cannot withstand criticism....
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 08:48 am
Setanta wrote:
No, Miss Flyer, i was not defending the Mormons and cannot imagine what would lead you to assume as much.

Well, you sort of dropped it into the conversation without any explanation in your defense of Muslims.

I backed up my fatwa contention, Set, in my first post, which I now have to wonder if you've read. This was the quote from the PBS special report:

Quote:
But European intellectuals and cultural critics who blasted the fatwa at the time were stunned to learn many British Muslims, born and educated in the U.K., openly supported the death sentence -- in defiance of Western law and European civilization no less.

Since then, there have been several other fatwas -- many offering to kill Americans and/or Europeans. What is not to resent there? No one within the Muslim religion is willing to make a stand against them because any who do traditionally risk the same fatwa. It's a clever system.

This, however, from "Prevailing over Terror" by Fareed Zakaria, 11 July 2005, I take to be a good sign:

Quote:
The other important difference between the London bombings and 9/11 has been the response of the world of Islam. For months after 9/11, I kept writing that it was sad and disturbing that Muslims were reluctant to condemn the attacks. This time is different. Major Muslim groups in Britain have unambiguously denounced the bombings. Even the so-called fundamentalist organisations have condemned it. The Muslim Association of Britain, a hard-line group with alleged ties to militants in the Middle East, called the bombings "heinous and repulsive" and urged Muslims to help the emergency services and police. "We have faith in Britain and British people that we as a country will not be defeated by this," said its spokesman, Anas Altikriti.

The response outside Britain has also been much stronger than ever before. The grand imam of Al-Azhar, Shaikh Mohammed Sayyed Tantawi, condemned the bombers but went further, rejecting the argument that this attack could be justified as an attempt to force Britain out of Iraq. "This is illogical and cannot be the motive for killing innocent civilians," he said. More striking have been the condemnations from radical groups like Hamas, Hizbullah and Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood, all of which have denounced the bombings. Many of them have, of course, coupled their attacks on the terrorists with denunciations of American and British policies in the Middle East, particularly regarding Iraq and the Palestinian territories. But that kind of rhetoric is old news. What is new here is the fact that no one, not even Hamas, can continue to condone or even stay silent about these barbarities. September 11 shocked the Arab psyche. For months afterward, Arabs and many Muslims went through phases recognisable to psychologists: shock, denial, anger. (Remember those absurd claims that 9/11 was a Mossad plot?)

They are finally, slowly, moving toward recognising that there is a great dysfunction in the world of Islam, which has allowed Muslims to concoct wild conspiracy theories, blame others for their problems and, worst of all, condone grotesque violence.

I believe that most Muslims probably come to the Western countries to get away from the repression of their culture. Perhaps, once they've moved, the realization of being in a minority strikes. For that reason they stick closer to the things they know and closer to the traditions they originally fled. Rather than take strong stands against such things, they don't because they are afraid to. They haven't, but as Fareed Zakaria says, they are starting to. That's a good thing.

And as for Taslima... she's from Bangladesh which is, of course, not from Africa. But whether from the Middle East, Africa or Asia, the distressingly abusive Muslim cultural practices makes me wonder why such an egalitarian and enlightened religion would allow this to happen. Please, read or re-read the second quote I offered from Taslima and her paralleling that with slavery.

Fatwa edicts are outside the bounds of secular western life. As long as Muslims come to this country and brandish that word, they are going to find it a long and arduous battle for their secular neighbors to be fully tolerant of their religion. (Unlike, I think I should point out here, the reception we might receive if we moved to Muslim countries. We are extraordinarily tolerant of them and their culture.) Because of the pain that these things have caused over the last sixteen years, there must be, imho, a rising up from within the religion itself, and shrugging off these things.

To me, the people who are most likely to control the radical Islamists are the non-radical Muslims. They speak the same language, worship at the same place and are probably related by blood or marriage. According to almost everyone, they outnumber the radicals by a huge proportion. Disappointingly, they have not stepped up to the plate... but maybe they are starting to. I certainly hope so.
0 Replies