The Anti-Muslim predjudice on A2K is wrong.

kickycan

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 09:03 pm
Lash wrote:
Towelhead-- A person who wears a towel on his head.

I will easily dehumanize terrorists.

Don't have a problem with your average Arab or Muslim.

This is in effect, the equivalent of a person who is prejudiced against black people saying "I don't have a problem with your average black guy...it's just those damned niggers that I don't like."

Is that acceptable to you? If not, then you see my point.

If you do, however, find that acceptable, then here's a present for you. I found this list of terms that all fall under the same category as "towelhead" in Wikipedia. Maybe you'd like to add these to your sig line too. I mean, as long as you're only speaking about the terrorists, then any of these should be fine, right?

Offensive terms for Arabs

Camel rider or Camel jockey -- referring to archaic modes of transport.

Camel humper (implying Zoophilia) is a further variant.

Mohammad -- A name mocking the fact that that many Arab men are named after the prophet, because of their presumed religion, Islam. Sometimes Abdul and Ahmet are substituted.

Towelhead, Raghead or Diaperhead -- referring to the head coverings worn by some Arab men.

Sand-nigger -- an adaptation of an offensive term for American blacks and a reference to the fact many Arabs live in the deserts of the Middle-East.

Related terms include:
Sandmonkey
Sandwalker
Dune Coon
Dune Nigger

Bint -- from the Arabic word for "girl" or "daughter," a derogatory term for an Arab woman, sometimes used in the UK for foreign women in general.
Haji -- derived from Muslims who take the haaj, or pilgrimage to Mecca.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 09:04 pm
Lash wrote:
People generally get over name-calling in grade school.

many people stop name-calling in grade school.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 09:05 pm
Diane wrote:
Racial slurs are never a good idea, but in times of hostility and political upheaval, those slurs are incendiary. Tto indulge in name calling during periods of instability is foolish and dangerous.

BTW, I can't think of one liberal who defends or supports terrorism or terrorists. Had to get that off my chest.

Perhaps I missed them. Have there been any "racial slurs" on this thread?

I can't think of a single conservative who "defends or supports terrorism or terrorists" either. So what is the point????
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 09:09 pm
I'm just making notes....

If you get into the briefs on the countries listed in the Tier 3 category, S. A. isn't specifically noted as trafficking humans for the sex trade while other countries in that tier are. They seem to be more into the sevitude aspect of human trade.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 09:10 pm
yitwail wrote:
Lash wrote:
People generally get over name-calling in grade school.

many people stop name-calling in grade school.

I don't like terrorists. I curse them on occasion. Towelhead is likely the nicest thing I've said re them.

I don't understand why the occasional cursing of terrorists would be offensive to you.

Would you explain it to me?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 09:11 pm
No one is offended by your cursing the terrorists, we're offended by your use of the term yowel head. Curse them all you want, just don't use terms that would offend the rest of the muslims - that's our point.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 09:15 pm
Ok, one more to balance the whole human trafficking thing. A site about trafficking in the USA.

http://gvnet.com/humantrafficking/USA.htm
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 09:15 pm
Brandon, my answer to your question is "No."

Georgeob, this thread is about using offensive terms in describing other people or cultures. Racial (or cultural) slur would come under that definition.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 09:16 pm
exactly, littlek. if you need some non-racial curses, lash, here's a few: ************, asshole, ****-for-brains. i'm sure there are many others, but don't use any homophobic ones, please, or we will have to repeat the same sort of discussion.

btw, i don't use this sorta language, and a2k wouldn't even let me print 2 of them. the first 2 were, slang term for a man who has intercourse with his mother, and slang term for anus.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 09:21 pm
kicky

You may think nigger and towelhead are equal in insult value. (I cannot believe this conversation...)

I don't think they're in the same ballpark. When you and everyone else excoriate the legions here who insult Bible thumpers and rednecks and Christianists (you are a major offender, eh?) and all the other slurs against Southerners, Christians and other non-protected minorities, I may take your deep sensitivity toward "towelhead" seriously.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 09:22 pm
One can be very offensive, cruelly and unnecessarily so, without using "offensive terms". Some uses of terms that a few might find offensive are relatively innocent - at least in the user's intent.

The topic here is "Anti Moslem Prejudice" )i.e. thoughtless prejudgement). Not all criticism constitutes prejudice.

I have seen far more scornful and belittling references to Christianity on this thread (and others) than I have seen directed at Moslems. If you doubt this, just scroll back a few pages.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 09:30 pm
yitwail--

Thanks, but those were already ensconced in my repertoire.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 09:45 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
I have seen far more scornful and belittling references to Christianity on this thread (and others) than I have seen directed at Moslems. If you doubt this, just scroll back a few pages.

but that's really irrelevant, george. 2 wrongs don't make a right. an eye for an eye is a pre-Christian ethic. turn the other cheek doesn't mean retaliate in kind. so, why not the take the high road? in my eyes that serves your cause more than playing tit-for-tat.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 09:47 pm
lash, those words weren't strong enough to express your indignation, i guess. too bad. i'll have to tell you why ethnic slurs offend me. they bash a person's ancestry, and no one deserves that, because no one gets to choose his or her parents.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 09:49 pm
georgeob1 wrote:

I've had this one thrown at me before . . . i don't live with Muslims, they are not a proximate threat to my liberties. I am surrounded by Christians, and not a few who are total loonies--and they do pose a proximate threat to my liberties. Therefore, i condemn what is in my environment. Too bad for the Christians--if they are truly concerned about their image, they might do something about the absolutely crazy stuff which gets forwarded in the name of their religion.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 09:52 pm
yitwail, I usually agree with your opinion, but I have a small disagreement with your last post. It's not so much the fact that we don't choose our own parents, but because we all belong to the human race.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 09:53 pm
QED
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 09:56 pm
I've seen QED before, but I'm not sure in what context george is using it.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 09:58 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
yitwail, I usually agree with your opinion, but I have a small disagreement with your last post. It's not so much the fact that we don't choose our own parents, but because we all belong to the human race.

agree with you totally, and thanks for agreeing with whatever opinions of mine you find agreeable. Smile
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 09:58 pm
(It is an abbreviation of a Latin phrase used at the conclusion of a mathematical or logical proof. "That which was to be demonstrated")

I am suggesting that Setanta has just demonstrated the truth of the point I made above.
0 Replies