The Anti-Muslim predjudice on A2K is wrong.

DrewDad

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 08:50 am
Racial epithets blaming Islam for terrorism are foolish.

These terrorists (the leaders) are nothing more than criminals. Their religious rantings are attempts to lend themselves legitimacy and recruit followers. Think Charles Manson if he were a little more grounded in reality. Think David Koresh (in terms of cloaking oneself with religion and creating a personality cult).

Condemning Islam for the terrorist attacks simply alienates moderate Moslems.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 08:51 am
Lash
Lash wrote "If you want to understand Islam and the Arab civilization, I don't know how you can without at least reading Bernard Lewis.

It seems people here don't really want to know. They want to blindly defend.

At least know who you and what you're defending.

The way I save myself from bigotry is to meet each person as an individual. I don't think many of you know what Islam supports. You don't have to hate Muslims individually, but you also don't have to hide from reality.

I'm going to show you."

Lash, I'm saddened that you continue your arrogance against people about whom you make judgments without any basis for the accuracy of your information.

You ridicule yourself when you claim that those of us who disagree with you are uneducated and not knowledgeable about the world's religions.

I know many A2Kers have vast knowledge of the subject at hand based on their higher education and professional work.

I've repeatedly informed A2Kers that I am not a scholar but I've tried to make up for that with self-education. I've studied world politics and world religions since I was a very young woman and continue to do so. For at least the last 15 years, I've read a numbers books about Islam. I have a huge home library and are disinclined to search for and count them to satisfy your need for evidence.

What is important, and what appears to be the difference between my reading habits and yours is mine include the writing advocates favorable and unfavorable to Islam so that I can understand the big picture. That's something I recommend to you instead of reading only unfavorable books that reinforce your bias. When you do that, you have an unbalanced education. The fact that my life-long education has given me the skill to see and understand all sides of an issue rather than a bigoted one is one you might appreciate based on your frequent claims of open mindedness.

Until then, you can talk the talk, but you can't walk the walk.

BBB
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:02 am
Miss Flyer, i did indeed read your post. But you fail to demonstrate that all Muslims unilaterally accepted the fatwah. A clue to your overreaching condemnation is to be found in your own assertion that open opposition can be dangerous. I would submit to you that most Muslims simply keep their mouths shut.

My point about Africa was simply to point out that Muslims are not the only people to systematically abuse women. Nor is it universal among Muslims. When i worked at the University of Illinois, i knew two very intelligent Lebanese women who lived as westerners do, one who was an established and respected professor and chronicler of the lives of women in the middle east, and the other working on her doctoral degree while raising three children, with her husband absent and still teaching at American University in the Lebanon.

Many parts of the Muslim world have been at times westernized, some to fall back into oriental customs due to fundamentalist revolution, such as that in Iran. In Algeria, the military intervened illegally against a democratically elected fundamentalist Muslim government because they did not intend to loose the benefits they enjoyed through the "westernization" of their nation.

My point remains the same, however--anyone who comes here and obeys the law has a right to live as they choose. Many, many immigrants from Europe arrived with oppressive attitudes toward women, and their descendants have been weaned away from narrow views--or at least now pay lip service to liberation. I cannot help but feel that you single out Muslims for offenses against your opinions, and not for offenses against the community.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:17 am
Lash
Lash wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Do you stand, Lash, by your comment that the ME is in "the stone age"?

Yes. There has been build up due to the oil they live on top of--but they can only make use of it with our help. Their society has stagnated since medieval times. Their Human Development Indicator, their Gender Development Indicator, .... Do you know the indicators used to establish a country's level of development?

Most of the Arab countries score at the bottom. This doesn't reflect how much money the country can generate. Who would judge them on that? It is highly geared to the way the government treats it's citizens, based on their level of finances.

Women are treated like animals. Children's health is neglected. But more importantly to the charge of Stone Age, they have never experienced a Renaissance. They have regressed, rather than progressed. They are continuing the backward slide.

Do you disagree?

I think you mean a reformation (Luther's re the Catholic Church). A renaissance wouldn't hurt either if it is a peaceful age of enlightenment.

The world religions which have experienced a reformation have improved---a little. Islam could certainly benefit from a similar reformation, one that I have longed for. Part of the problem from a Western perspective is that there is little separation between Islam and state law and everyday life. There are some secular Muslim countries, but even they have mingled to some extent Islam and secular law. It is much easier to create reform separate from religious dicta than it is when religion and law are so closely integrated.

The Muslim world is largely composed of tribal societies, which makes reform even more difficult. Tribal loyalty often over-rides what is in the best interests of the entire country. Many Muslim countries were divided up by the British after WWI, thus thrusting rival tribes into power competition between them. The battles still rage today. Western-based colonialism is also a culprit in creating Muslim nationalism. Add to this the existence of oil in Muslim lands only adds gasoline to burning embers.

Now this is not to say that Western countries are also not tribal societies. We just recognize them differently: caste systems, social strata (royals vs common people), the rich and the poor, racial differences, religious differences, political differences, etc. We are all tribal people to one degree or another. All you have to do is study the culture of students, especially high school, to understand what I mean about our tribal culture. One hopes that, as adults, they outgrow their prejudices.

BBB
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:23 am
Re: Lash
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

Lash, I'm saddened that you continue your arrogance against people about whom you make judgments without any basis for the accuracy of your information.

Lash wrote:

Show me the statement I made that is inaccurate.

BBB--

I hope your history lesson enlightens someone. It is not new information for most people here, however.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:27 am
kickycan wrote:
Lash wrote:
kicky

You may think nigger and towelhead are equal in insult value. (I cannot believe this conversation...)

I don't think they're in the same ballpark. When you and everyone else excoriate the legions here who insult Bible thumpers and rednecks and Christianists (you are a major offender, eh?) and all the other slurs against Southerners, Christians and other non-protected minorities, I may take your deep sensitivity toward "towelhead" seriously.

I never said I was above reproach. But you, on the other hand, seem to prefer getting all self-righteous and pointing out everyone else's flaws to actually admitting your own mistakes. Look at this thread, Lash. Almost 25 pages and not one person has agreed with you in your defense of using the term "towelhead". Why won't you just admit it was a stupid thing to say?

Eliciting agreement is not a goal.
I will point out the hypocrisy of those who defame the group of THEIR choice and then act as though the world is coming to an end when someone says Towelhead. I ain't feelin' it.

Show where I exhibit self-righteousness.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:30 am
There was a piece on NPR this morning that (I was amazed) underlined the points I've been making here. It also went pretty far in support of the goals set by the Bush administration re foreign policy.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:34 am
Show where anyone acted as though the world was coming to an end when someone says towelhead.

Show that the people who objected to "towelhead" are merrily defaming the group of their choice.

I have been appreciating the more fact-based points about the Arab world et al, would be nice if we could move on to that and away from defense of towelhead.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:35 am
Somewhere Setanta said the Christians are the ones threatening him--his excuse for hating them and reviling them with insults... The Muslims aren't bothering him, though.

Tell that to the family members of 911 victims and those waiting in London to identify what's left of their loved ones.

The extremist Christians or the extremist Muslims, Set. You've made an odd choice. Do they have to kill someone you love before you dislike them more than the bad ole Christians?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:40 am
sozobe-- I'll bring it if you don't believe me--but I have a hard time believing you don't know exactly what I'm talking about.

I'm on my way to class. If you truly don't know where in this forum to find reams of anti-Christian, anti-Southerner, anti-redneck insults, I'll do it for you.

I would be VERY interested too, in an examination of Islam, Arab history and related items. I have found it fascinating. And, it would be a pleasure to see you all realize that this problem cannot be laid at the feet of George Bush---AND that scholars identify modernization and democracy as vitally important factors in wresting Islamists out of the Dark Ages.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:43 am
Lash wrote:
kickycan wrote:
Lash wrote:
kicky

You may think nigger and towelhead are equal in insult value. (I cannot believe this conversation...)

I don't think they're in the same ballpark. When you and everyone else excoriate the legions here who insult Bible thumpers and rednecks and Christianists (you are a major offender, eh?) and all the other slurs against Southerners, Christians and other non-protected minorities, I may take your deep sensitivity toward "towelhead" seriously.

I never said I was above reproach. But you, on the other hand, seem to prefer getting all self-righteous and pointing out everyone else's flaws to actually admitting your own mistakes. Look at this thread, Lash. Almost 25 pages and not one person has agreed with you in your defense of using the term "towelhead". Why won't you just admit it was a stupid thing to say?

Eliciting agreement is not a goal.
I will point out the hypocrisy of those who defame the group of THEIR choice and then act as though the world is coming to an end when someone says Towelhead. I ain't feelin' it.

Show where I exhibit self-righteousness.

It is self-righteous to point out how flawed everyone else is while still not admitting your own flaws, as you have done constantly since this thread began.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:48 am
First -- same people.

Second -- not just the use of the slur per se, but the god-taking-a-dump-on-them-and-they-deserve-it context. Again, "towelhead" is a problem, but especially as a focus for the rest of it.

Have fun.

Do I care? Not particularly. If you'd prefer not to do it, I'd have no problem with it -- IF this whole chapter is closed with a simple apology (already mostly there with "reckless") and we move on to more rational discussion.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:50 am
(have you seen this, Lash?)

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55338
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:53 am
Lash wrote:
I would be VERY interested too, in an examination of Islam, Arab history and related items. I have found it fascinating. And, it would be a pleasure to see you all realize that this problem cannot be laid at the feet of George Bush---AND that scholars identify modernization and democracy as vitally important factors in wresting Islamists out of the Dark Ages.

We are talking about the development and issues with the Arab world here and you are welcome to join but be aware that it is focused on the Arab world more than the muslim world as it's hard to talk about such a diverse set of countries and people as if they were one like-minded people.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:54 am
Oops, sorry, soz beat me to it.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 10:50 am
FreeDuck
FreeDuck wrote:
Lash wrote:

We are talking about the development and issues with the Arab world here and you are welcome to join but be aware that it is focused on the Arab world more than the muslim world as it's hard to talk about such a diverse set of countries and people as if they were one like-minded people.

FreeDuck, your focus limit will make it interesting because Iranians are not Arabs. Their ancient Persian race originates in the vast Mongolian areas of Asia.

http://www.iranchamber.com/history/articles/persian_affinities_licchavis_review.php

and

http://www.derafsh-kaviyani.com/english/originofaryan.html

BBB
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 10:55 am
That's very true, BBB. I wonder if the Arab report included Iran in their findings. I'll have to look more closely.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 04:15 pm
Lash wrote:

I don't think they're in the same ballpark.

Neither do I. But this is subjective and others undoubtedly feel differently.

Quote:
When you and everyone else excoriate the legions here who insult Bible thumpers and rednecks and Christianists (you are a major offender, eh?) and all the other slurs against Southerners, Christians and other non-protected minorities, I may take your deep sensitivity toward "towelhead" seriously.

Lash, don't do yourself this disservice. The dignity with which you carry yourself should not be contingient on the actions of others.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 08:18 pm
Setanta wrote:
Miss Flyer, i did indeed read your post. But you fail to demonstrate that all Muslims unilaterally accepted the fatwah. A clue to your overreaching condemnation is to be found in your own assertion that open opposition can be dangerous. I would submit to you that most Muslims simply keep their mouths shut.

I think it proves it. Why would they keep their mouths shut? I say when we discuss unilateral acceptance of a killing fatwa vs. keeping their mouths shut, that their reasons are one of two: either agreement with the fatwa or fear that the fatwa would then touch them.

Why does anyone need to be afraid to speak their mind in a free country? Isn't it our duty to help them resist religious domination? I will say it again because I think it might be the key for improving the general relationships between Muslim and non-Muslim. If the everyday Muslims living in the Western World would, en masse, publically denounce the tradition and threat of fatwa, they would find a much easier time with the non-Muslims of their community.

We would never give Catholics "a pass" if some bishop issued a universal decree that Mr.X is to be killed by any good Catholic because he disrespected the Bible. Why would anyone believe we ought to do so for the Muslim community?

As for proof that most Muslims agreed with the Rushdie fatwa, I offer two... first, that there were 100 mostly non-American Muslim authors and artists who finally came out in support of Rushdie. It was a little late... it didn't happen until after the Japanese translator of the Satanic Verses was knifed to death. (from good ol' Wikipedia: "In 1991, Rushdie's Japanese translator, Hitoshi Igarashi, was stabbed and killed in Tokyo, and his Italian translator was beaten and stabbed in Milan. In 1993, Rushdie's Norwegian publisher William Nygaard was shot and severely injured in an attack outside his house in Oslo. Thirty-seven guests died when their hotel in Sivas, Turkey was burnt down by locals protesting against Aziz Nesin, Rushdie's Turkish translator. Even popular musician Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens) indirectly yet infamously stated his agreement with the fatwa. [...] Islam confirmed in a British television documentary that he wasn't against the death sentence..." and wished it had been Rushdie himself who was being burned in effigy.)

Even with this one supportive publication, many expressed their offense by the work but at least they were willing to open their mouths. As Moroccan composer, Ahmed Essyad said: ""To Salman Rushdie, so that, as an artist, he can write what I disagree with."

Quote:
The expression of solidarity by the 100 writers and intellectuals from a dozen Muslim countries takes the form of a book called "For Rushdie," organized and published in France by Editions la Decouverte. Contributions were collected between October 1992 and June 1993. (Piffka note: That's three and half to more than four years after the fatwa was issued.)

To coincide with publication, Mr. Rushdie, who has spent most of his time in hiding since the fatwa, or death sentence, was issued by Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini of Iran in February 1989, expressed thanks for this "anthology of blows struck in the fight against obscurantism and fanaticism."

In an open letter to the French daily Liberation, the 46-year-old novelist said that "ever since the beginning of the whole sad affair of 'The Satanic Verses,' I have felt saddest about the relative silence of the writers and intellectuals of the Muslim and Arab world."

And here is what the American Muslim magazine had to say on Rushdie and what they think of the challenge of integrating Muslims into Western culture (ie. not much):

Quote:
The last person on earth whom Muslims would be prepared to listen to on such issues is Salman Rushdie... Yet he wrote in the Guardian (3 November) "Let's start calling a spade a spadeĀ…", meaning that this is indeed a war against Islam, and "the world of Islam must take on board the secularist-humanist principles on which the modern is based, and without which their countries' freedom will remain a distant dream." Perhaps this is what is meant by a Muslim reformation: secularism, not scripturalism. But to what extent should Islam be modified for it to be deemed acceptable? Could somebody please provide a list of all appropriate changes that we should make in order to become worthy citizens of this new moral order? Of course, I jest. Let's call a spade a spade. Islam doesn't need to take on board secularist-humanist principles, this would never be sufficient, for secularist-humanists have problems with basic religious beliefs such as God and accountability in the Hereafter. It is not the legal periphery of Islam that is the problem, it is its spiritual centre. As we have seen in Britain, the adoption of such an approach has led to the demise of religion itself.

The call for a Muslim reformation is in one sense a call for a liberal Islam. The subjugation of Islam to the heart's command may provide opportunities for the emergence of liberal Islam, but it is the same hermeneutic that leads to an Islam that advocates violence. Rendering the interpretation of law to the heart's desire may not lead to the desired outcome. In fact, the present political climate tilts the balance heavily away from any conciliatory interpretation of Islam, quite the opposite. But the line that establishes the Western moral position (if there is such a thing) is in a perpetual state of motion. Are all others condemned to play catch up from now on? Or will they be permitted to establish themselves as alternatives? If others are to play catch up, then maybe one way that they could try to break ahead is by asking what is post post-modernism and making sure they get there first? Ultimately though, Islam has a stronger historical claim than liberalism, having lasted longer while establishing itself across a wider spectrum of cultures. Islam doesn't require a reformation; liberalism needs to de-centre itself.

Your resistance to agreeing there is de facto domination and repression of women by the adherents of Islam is a sad thing. To put this off as merely cultural practices flies in the face of reality throughout the Muslim world. That there are small pockets of secularized Muslims in an American university near you doesn't change the way of the real world of Islam, a world which is actively resisting secularization. That world is sexist, repressive and filled with medieval punishments for women in every single Islam-based country. If there were just one reason to be less than tolerant of Islam, that would be it in a nutshell.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 08:28 pm
Pifka, There are Arab/Muslim countries that are not repressive against women. Women in Iran are beginning to speak out against women repression, and more are beginning to wear western-style clothes. When we visited Turkey some years ago, our guide was a Muslim woman, but she wore jeans and didn't cover her head. I believe secularism must be accepted slowly in countries that wish to westernize. Trying to force-feed American style democracy will fail.
0 Replies