Bush's Neo-Con Advisers

Hazlitt

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 05:22 am
By now we are all fairly aware that President Bush has fallen under the sway of a group of Neo-conservative pro-war advisors that includes Donald Rumsfeld, Richard Pearl, Paul Wolfowitz and many others both inside and outside the government.

I happened onto this article by Robert Dreyfuss in the April "American Prospect." The article sets forth in astonishing fashion the program for remaking the middle east, which has developed in the Neo-Con think tanks over the last few years and seems to have been adopted, at the very least in part, by our president.

I am posting a link to the article because I think it important that we all be aware of the existence of these forces within our government.

http://www.prospect.org/print/V14/4/dreyfuss-r.html

Those of you who have access the last Friday's Wall Street Journal (3/21/03) can read a watered down version of the Neo-Con vision for the middle east. It's on the front page.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,259 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 11:58 am
This group, and the rest of the country, may be experiencing a rude awakening right now. It's not so easy, it now appears, to accomplish a "regime change" when we want to. As tragic as this war is, maybe it will convince this country that the new-con, mini-Machiavellis are getting us in over our heads...
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 06:21 pm
According to news reports Richar Pearl resigned his Pentagon position today. I have yet to see an on line link to his report. If this is true some samity may be slowly sinking in to the Bush administration.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 06:28 pm
Thanks to Sozobe:

http://news.yahoo.com/fc?tmpl=fc&cid=34&in=us&cat=bush_administration
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 06:43 pm
While I am certain that the absence of Perle (which I applaud, by the way) will in no way dissuade you folks from your "IT'S ALL ABOUT US CONTROLLING THE OIL" mantra, it should at least point out that this administration is sensitive to public opinion.
0 Replies

nelsonn

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 06:45 pm
The "true believers", starting in the Reagan administration have wanted to remake the world to suit their interests (remember supply-side economics and David Stockman who finally admitted that they just made up figures for budgets and taxes)? and remember Iran-Contra? Now, since their successful coup to gain the presidency, they believe nothing can stop them, especially since they capitalized so brilliantly on 9/11. They may be right and I am very afraid for my country.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 06:56 pm
Thanks for proving my point, nelson.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 08:26 pm
Now Nelson, say "you're welcome" to the nice man.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 12:52 am
Tonight on NPR they announced that Perle wasn't resigning, just stepping down from the Chairmanship!
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 01:39 pm
Right , BillW, he is keeping his membership on the Defense Policy Committee. We are not rid of him yet, and, Max, the Bush administration has been pretty slow to dump functionaries who get caught in conflicts of interest. Usually they just say that no conflict exists--we're too honest for that kind of nonsense.

Two exceptions, first, Pearl dumped his job with the company, I forget which one, he was supposed to aid in the pentagon; and second, I read today that Hallaburton (or however they spell it) will not be getting certain contracts in the rebuilding of Iraq. We'll see if the administration is as good as its word.

I think Pearl ought to have to resign all government positions.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 01:47 pm
As Perle told US News & World Report: "The Iraqi opposition is kind of like an MRE [meals ready to eat, a freeze-dried Army field ration]. The ingredients are there and you just have to add water, in this case U.S. support." Testifying before Congress in 2000, Perle insisted, "We need not send substantial ground forces into Iraq when patriotic Iraqis are willing to fight to liberate their country." Last year, he conceded that the US troop requirement might go as high as 40,000.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 01:49 pm
Golbal Crossing - BTW, there is far more conflicts of interests, they are just caught up in the secrecy of this régime.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 06:10 pm
Good quote Dislexia.

Thanks BillW for the boost to my memory.
0 Replies