Young, confused, in love with a married man, please help me.

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 08:12 am
I posted on here before once about the situation i'm in, but it's progressed now and I just feel like crying and screaming and yet I can't just stop it. I feel so angry that of all the countless men i meet, all of whom end up liking me, that the one I fall for is married. At first when it started it was stealing kisses and carresses in the back room, the copy room, when no one is looking (did i mention he is my boss?). That had been going on for like four months. In that four month time there was a short period where nothing happened because he thought he couldn't go through with it anymore because he felt guilty. Then yesterday afternoon he came over and we made love for the first time, and for an hour we just lay there holding each other, kissing, touching. He kept staring at me with this look of wonderment, repeating how beautiful I was over and over again. The experience just blew my mind.
I've never felt like this about anyone in my life, short as it may be. I'm 23, young, I know. He's 30, not terribly old himself.
He's married. He's my boss. He has a two and a half year old daughter with his wife of three years who he thinks is a wonderful person and mother, but with whom there is no "spark". He loves his daughter more than anything in this world, but he is only human like the rest of us I suppose.
I won't ask him to leave his wife, and I know he won't right now anyway because he fears losing the ability to be around his daughter all the time. When I am with him I feel a happiness I've never felt with anyone in my life, and when I'm not all I think about is how they are looking for a new house right now, and how realistically the chances of me ever being really in his life are slim and I just can't break myself from it. I'm trying so hard to find a new job so I don't have to be around him, but it's hard to get everything into perspective when everything seems a shambles and you're trying to get over clinica depression.

Sometimes I wonder if I should ever let him know how I really feel. I haven't told him. Sure he knows i like him but i don't think he suspects how much i truly care about him. I want to ask him how he feels but am afraid to. This is a new situation for both of us....he's never been one to cheat before, which is why in the beginning he had stopped it for almost a month out of the guilt he felt, but something kept drawing us back to each other.

I know this isn't socially acceptable. Whether it is wrong or not is a matter of opinion I guess, depenging on how you define wrong.

Does having a child with someone mean you are obligated to spend your life with that person? What if you weren't meant to be? Obviously you are in the child's life forever, therefor in the mother's life to an extent, but should you stay together if there's nothing between you anymore?

I have all these feelings inside and I can't talk about it to anyone, not my friends at work (obviously).

To make matters worse, I have a boyfriend of almost three years madly in love with me who I don't want to be with anymore in a relationship respect.

I know this is long and rambling, but maybe someone out there will have something to tell me that might help me clear my head and make sense out of my life right now, because I'm depressed as hell and cannot think clearly for the life of me. Thanks for reading this
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,851 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 09:25 am
How come we get the same messages from just hatched posters all the time. Welcome, and read some of the other threads on this subject. You will find that you are wrong in three ways:
- You have not clearly broken up with your doting boyfriend (a quick cut will hurt him less than the feeling of betrayal he'll feel when you suddenly shack up with another).
- You are involved with your boss (Biiig nono)
- You are involved with someone who is married with kid (even bigger nono)

The last two facts are even more humongous nono's on his side, so you are sleeping with a loser with low integrity.

Next!
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 09:39 am
Re: Young, confused, in love with a married man, please help
IWishIKnew wrote:
Does having a child with someone mean you are obligated to spend your life with that person? What if you weren't meant to be? Obviously you are in the child's life forever, therefor in the mother's life to an extent, but should you stay together if there's nothing between you anymore?

Does having a child mean you are obligated to stay? No, but that does not give you the right to interfere in this marriage. Whether it is working or not is of no consequence... butt out and let those two work it out.

Does having a child mean you are obligated to stay? No, but it does mean you are obligated to make the best decisions you can for that child. I would put "having an affair with a 23 year old co-worker" in the "not the smartest decision" category. If he cares so much about his daughter why is he risking that relationship by having a relationship with you?

I think you have a whole world of heart-ache right around the corner and you keep trying to ignore it but sooner or later he is going to realize that you are the odd person out.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 09:48 am
Paaskynen, a lot of people come here via Google. So if they have a computer virus and want to get rid of it and Google "help me get rid of computer virus" and find a helpful thread here about it, they jump right in or join to ask their own question. If they are in love with a married man and don't know what to do about it they Google "I'm in love with a married man," find a thread here about it, and they jump right in or join to ask their own question.

<shrug>

Their perogative, and the purpose of the site.

Meanwhile, IWIK, you have received a lot of advice already. Perhaps you don't like it much and you're looking for more, different advice. I already told you about one study, here's another:

Quote:
New love can look for all the world like mental illness, a blend of mania, dementia and obsession that cuts people off from friends and family and prompts out-of-character behavior - compulsive phone calling, serenades, yelling from rooftops - that could almost be mistaken for psychosis.

Now for the first time, neuroscientists have produced brain scan images of this fevered activity, before it settles into the wine and roses phase of romance or the joint holiday card routines of long-term commitment.

-snip-

n an earlier functional M.R.I. study of romance, published in 2000, researchers at University College London monitored brain activity in young men and women who had been in relationships for about two years. The brain images, also taken while participants looked at photos of their beloved, showed activation in many of the same areas found in the new study - but significantly less so, in the region correlated with passionate love, she said.

In the new study, the researchers also saw individual differences in their group of smitten lovers, based on how long the participants had been in the relationships. Compared with the students who were in the first weeks of a new love, those who had been paired off for a year or more showed significantly more activity in an area of the brain linked to long-term commitment.

-snip-

One volunteer in the study was Suzanna Katz, 22, of New York, who suffered through a breakup with her boyfriend three years ago. Ms. Katz said she became hyperactive to distract herself after the split, but said she also had moments of almost physical withdrawal, as if weaning herself from a drug.

"It had little to do with him, but more with the fact that there was something there, inside myself, a hope, a knowledge that there's someone out there for you, and that you're capable of feeling this way, and suddenly I felt like that was being lost," she said in an interview.

And no wonder. In a series of studies, researchers have found that, among other processes, new love involves psychologically internalizing a lover, absorbing elements of the other person's opinions, hobbies, expressions, character, as well as sharing one's own. "The expansion of the self happens very rapidly, it's one of the most exhilarating experiences there is, and short of threatening our survival it is one thing that most motivates us," said Dr. Aron, of SUNY, a co-author of the study.

To lose all that, all at once, while still in love, plays havoc with the emotional, cognitive and deeper reward-driven areas of the brain. But the heightened activity in these areas inevitably settles down. And the circuits in the brain related to passion remain intact, the researchers say - intact and capable in time of flaring to life with someone new.

http://www.jefallbright.net/node/3207

I post this to say, even though it feels transcendant to you, it's a perfectly predictable development given what has happened so far. That doesn't matter except that he is married and has a child, and that your indulgence of the chemical insanity you're going through has real-life consequences.

Your actions are much, much less culpable than his, but you are still contributing to an awful situation.

What's more, it's extremely unlikely it will end well for you, either.

Which does not make you or him inherently awful people who will be cursed for life because of your awfulness, or whatever -- just, you're asking for advice, right? My advice is to quit this, patch things up with your non-married boyfriend or dump him too and start anew.

This stuff is a distraction:

Quote:

Of course not. However, all of that can be dealt with between the two people involved -- your married paramour and his wife -- and resolved before he goes sneaking around with you. If there is no hope with his wife, fine, he can get a divorce and work out custody arrangements. If there is hope with his wife, he can work on that hope and maybe stay intact as a family.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 10:08 am
I'm not of a mind to make this sound pretty, so :

1. break up with your boyfriend. He deserves better than to be with someone who wants someone else.

2. do not spend any time alone with your boss. No stolen moments in the copy room. You are allowing him to cheat on his wife. That is not fair to her. He needs to deal with his life without distraction.

3. don't try to use the excuse of 'he's staying for the child/children'. That's a cop-out, on both of your parts.

Get on with your own life and job.

It's not going to be easy, but the people in both of your lives deserve to be respected more than they have been.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 12:07 pm
IWishIKnew--

Technically you are a fornicator and your married boss with a dearly loved child is an adulterer.

Quote:
I know this isn't socially acceptable. Whether it is worng or not is a matter of opinion I guess, depenging on how you define wrong.

While you aren't exactly a Helpless Pawn of Fate, your married boss took advantage of an younger employee who was recovering from clinical depression.

As I said in your other thread this guy has a wife providing the comforts of home, a darling daughter and an employee with perks.

Right now you have chosen to be in a position where your happiness depends on his decisions. This is not a state of affairs that will cure depression. Furthermore, being the passive mistress doesn't absolve you of guilt.

Break with your boyfriend. What you're doing to him is both unfair and unkind.

Consider that your paramour's wife may still be in love with her husband. You already know that this guy promised to love and care for her forever--and there is no "until I change my mind" clause in the marriage vows.

In this day and age, few unwanted children are born to married couples. This guy's wife trusted her husband and his vows enough to agree to bringing a child into this world.

You may not be thinking clearly right now, but your basic confusion comes from not wanting to do what you know you should do.

How is your self respect these days? Low? What does that tell you?
0 Replies

Mintcake

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 03:57 am
This is an extremely difficult situation that I can relate to... I know how it feels to be told that the relationship that means more to you than anything ever has is something that you should turn and run away from... It really isn't that simple. This is something that you need to have a long conversation with him about, find out how he really feels and come completely clean with him about your feelings and what you want for the future... If he truly isn't happy with his current relationship with his wife then he will talk to you in detail about it and you can get your head around it a bit better. He'll have concerns about your feelings toward him as well seeing that you have a devoted boyfriend so you need to talk these through. Good luck. I wish you every happiness and I wish it was easier- I know it hurts like a bitch. I'm there too.
0 Replies

dec66

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 06:51 am
Quote:

I can not even beileive that this question was ask. An adult should make his or hers decision based on whats good for that child not themselves. An affair is one of the most selfish things a person can do. How do you really know there is no spark between him and his wife? Because he says so. Right

Quote:
If he truly isn't happy with his current relationship with his wife then he will talk to you in detail about it

Why would a man ever tell a MISTRESS the truth? He is CHEATING, LYING, SNEAKING, ETC.... A trully good relationship can never comeout of lies and cheating. You would never be able to trust him anyway. Don't ever think you are going to change him. I hate that just a young girl has gotten herself in this mess.You have your whole life ahead of youself. This will be the only times you will, or should, think about yourself. One day you may have children and need to put their needs first. Change jobs if you have too just get out for your own mental and emotional health. CHEAT WITH YOU, CHEAT ON YOU. COMMON SENSE. I trully hope that everything works out for you but I fear that that will only happen if you make it happen now. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

IWishIKnew

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 03:05 pm
I know I know, but it's so hard! It's not like I make myself believe he will come and be with me anytime or anything. I mean, he is in the process of buying a house with his wife right now and his in-laws, a big purchase that symbolizes and makes obvious he isn't leaving his family. he's told me he doesn't understand why I would waste my time on him when I'm smart and beautiful and could have someone nice and single to dote on me. And I persisted, because I'm being selfish and stupid and am totally blinded by the ridiculous moments of happiness I have when I am actually with him.

Then I listen to him tell me he's house hunting tommorow with the wife and I get depressed and say to myself that I'll end this affair next time I see him and of course it never happens.

I know this is probably going to end in emotional disaster for me, but hey, maybe that's what I deserve. I'm not a bad person, just fell for the wrong person and couldn't tear myself away.

thanks for the continuing posts, it's nice to hear opinions, especially from people that know what I'm going through.
0 Replies