Numbers

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:11 pm
What is the rule for when numbers should be symbols (8) and when they should be written out (eight)? I have a vague impression that zero to twenty (???) or so should be written out, and then over that the symbol should be used...?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,194 • Replies: 13
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:12 pm
I always thought it was that 0-10 should be written out.
0 Replies

Levi

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:24 pm
I've always read zero through ninety-nine should be spelled out, all above written in numerals, but that helps to explain my disdain for English's many "subjective rules".
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:26 pm
This should help: http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/numbers.htm
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:27 pm
Oh, crikey, thanks Bermits. What a tedious new set of instruction to remember.
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:31 pm
There is no rule that is based on the size of the number. This is purely a stylistic matter based on how readable it is. It is obviously quite easy to spell out and read one billion and 1,000,000,000 does not read as well to the innumerates of the world. When you start getting into large numbers with multiple non-zero digits, then it gets quite tricky.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:33 pm
I just finished taking a corporate writing course where we were told to write one through twelve, and then 13, 14 ....

there was one other option <puzzled look>, but we were told to pick one option and stick with it. I'll have to go look at that text and corporate style guide.

Corporate style guide. Bah!

<ahh, just saw - that's an academic style guide Bermbits linked to - use with caution if writing for a business/industrial application>
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:35 pm
Always glad to help...

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:43 pm
Just because there are annoying style guides out there doesn't mean they're not helpful, Bermbits.

I learned my freakin' lesson about the difference between academic applications and business applications in the world of resume writing. A c.v., which most teachers teach their students about, is not a resume. <sigh> Trying to explain to teachers why they shouldn't try to teach high school students about c.v.'s was once an annoying component of my work life. c.v.'s are for academics, not clerks and administrators. <grrrrrrrr, tucking rest of rant in>
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:46 pm
Quote:
To avoid confusion by running numbers together, combine words and numerals when one number follows another. Generally, write out the shorter number.
My wife teaches 26 third-grade students.
There were 10 four-foot boards on the trucks.
The lab has 24 seventeen-inch monitors.
We need six 50-watt bulbs for this apartment

We need 2,457,367,981 three-and-two-thousand-four-hundred-thirty-two-ten-thousandths of an inch widgets. Yikes!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 09:00 pm
Thanks bermbits!!

The business/ industry thing works, too, that's who I'm editing for right now. Thanks!
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 04:53 am
valpower - Laughing
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 09:50 am
Oh, ValP, recast the sentence! We need 2,457,367,981 widgets, sized (whatever that number is in decimal form -- in digits!).

Just don't start a sentence with a number. Whatever it is in that s position, spell it out. And if it's like Valp's example, RECAST THE SENTENCE.
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 12:05 pm
Ohhh, I know, but I just couldn't resist. JTT's got me feeling feisty 'bout rules.
0 Replies