What was the reason why Disney bought Fox?

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2020 09:43 pm
20th Century Fox is a major Hollywood studio. What happened? Did Fox fall on such hard times it needed a major studio like Disney to back them up financially?

According to what I read Disney bought them because the acquisition of Fox "adds value to streaming services."

So Fox couldn't start their own streaming service? Why did Disney think it was necessary to merge with Fox, and/or vice versa?

I'm just curious about this. Please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,097 • Replies: 8
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2020 05:09 am
@JGoldman10,
disney wants to kill off the Simpsons.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2020 05:38 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
According to Disney's CEO Bob Iger, the idea of purchasing Fox's assets came after Disney acquired majority control of the streaming company BAMTech with anticipation to develop its own streaming service (which would eventually be called Disney+, launched in November 2019).

Disney was less interested in Fox's production capacities and more keen to acquire Fox's own film and television libraries to help expand the streaming service's library.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acquisition_of_21st_Century_Fox_by_Disney

Quote:
Fox is selling its movie studios, television productions, regional sports and international businesses, including Star and Europe-based broadcaster Sky, leaving a smaller company more narrowly focused on news and major live sports events.

The sale means Fox is left with content believed to be more resistant to the threat from online ads and streaming - and which are dear to Rupert Murdoch's heart.
At the same time, Fox sheds parts of its business that have suffered from revenue declines in recent years.

"Any honest observer has to be disappointed in Fox's content cycle in film and on the Fox network over the past two years," analysts at Moffett Nathanson wrote last month. "As such, it makes sense to re-think 21st Century Fox's asset mix now."

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-42329731

Basically, Murdoch (head of Fox) wanted to focus on news and sports, and wanted to sell its entertainment divisions.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2020 03:48 pm
You have already asked this and received replies.

www.able2know.org/topic/527307-1 'Why did Disney buy Fox? What was the purpose of that?'

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2020 10:48 pm
@Sturgis,
I thought I did. I couldn't find the original thread when I searched for it. Thank you.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2020 02:49 pm
@JGoldman10,
No problem.
It happens now and then to plenty of us. Especially with years on the board.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2020 11:28 am
@JGoldman10,
Because The summat or other and the Hound is a lousy film title.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2020 03:18 pm
@Sturgis,
How did you find the thread?
izzythepush

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2020 03:26 pm
@JGoldman10,
If you goon your profile and click on my topics you’ll go to a page with a list of all the threads you started.
0 Replies