It Was All a Lie: How the Republican Party Became Donald Trump

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 05:57 pm
New book out from Stuart Stevens, a serious Republican insider.

Prologue to an interview with the author.
Quote:
For 30 years, Stuart Stevens was one of the most influential operatives in Republican politics. He was Mitt Romney’s top strategist in 2012, served in key roles on both of George W. Bush’s presidential campaigns, and worked on dozens of congressional and gubernatorial campaigns — building one of the best winning records in politics. Then Stevens watched his party throw its support behind a man who stood against everything he believed in, or thought he believed in.

Most dissidents from Trumpism take a familiar line: They didn’t leave the Republican Party, the Republican Party left them. But for Stevens, Trump forced a more fundamental rethinking: The problem, he believes, is not that the GOP became something it wasn’t; it’s that many of those within it — including him — failed to see what it actually was. In Stevens’s new book, It Was All a Lie, he delivers a searing indictment of the party he helped build, and his role in it.

This is a conversation about the Republican Party’s past, present, and future. Stevens and I discuss the differences between the Democratic and Republican coalitions, whether party elites could have prevented Trump’s rise, the power the GOP base holds, the relationship between tax cuts for the rich and white identity politics for the poor, where the party can and can’t go after Trump, the GOP operatives trying to put Kanye West on the 2020 ballot, how Stevens played the race card in his first campaigns, why Romney lost while Trump won, and more.

coluber2001

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 06:15 pm
@engineer,
Save
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 08:09 pm
@engineer,
I agree with others who say Trump resembles Hitler. Trump's MAGA is similar to Hitler's message. https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/harvard-professor-compares-donald-trumps-164327594.html Trump is rising by taking advantage of a divided country. The truth is that the vast majority of voting Americans think that Trump is unacceptable as a presidential candidate, but we are split by strong partisan ideologies and cannot coordinate a solution to stop him. Similarly, a significant part of voting Republicans think that Trump is unacceptable, but they too, thus far, have been unable to coordinate a solution. Trump is exploiting the fact that we cannot unite across our ideological divides.

Hitler rose to power on a nationalist message. He told the German people that they were exceptional and played on feelings of disenfranchisement.
revelette1

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2020 09:15 am
@engineer,
I would like to get this book, but I have been spending too much...perhaps later in the year. It looks really interesting and informative.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2020 09:16 am
@cicerone imposter,
I've been wondering about you. Good to "see" you around.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2020 11:06 am
@revelette1,
Thank you. Have not been visiting a2k lately, and spending more time on fb. I was just thinking the other day of how our socialization have changed since the ABUZZ days. We used to have meets all over the place, including San Francisco, Boston, New York, Houston, London, and even Lippstadt, Germany, where Walter lives. Those days are long gone, and I miss it. I still have a photo taken at our New York meet at the hotel where I stayed on Wall Street. I think that was the last meet I was involved in. My memory has been slipping, but I recall Tsar's and Frank being there. With the current travel ban, it doesn't look promising for the future.
0 Replies