major incident in London

nimh

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:25 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
When in Edgware Road, I noticed a lot of Arabic/Muslim restaurants. It seems to me that Edgware Road (near Oxford Street anyway) seems to be a regular Muslim Community. So Al Qaeda is proving to us once again that it just doesn't care about Muslims either.

That goes not just for the Edgware blast either:

Quote:
1418 A Transport for London spokeswoman says the bus hit by the explosion was a number 30, travelling from Hackney to Marble Arch.

KP already mentioned how the Marble Arch end is often referred to informally as "little Arabia", while Hackney in London's Eastend also has one of the highest number of immigrants / Muslims.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:25 am
Sympathy to all Londoners and all in the world who condemn these cowardly acts.

Has everyone checked in? <worried look>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:26 am
Quote:
1458 Sir Iqbal Sacranie, the Secretary General of the Muslim Council of Britain, joins other religious leaders in condemning the attacks, saying "as with all other people in the community, we totally condemn the perpetrators of what appears to be this series of co-ordinated attacks in London which tragically has led to several fatalities and a large number of casualties."
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:26 am
My hearfelt sorrow goes out to the British people on this sad sad day.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:28 am
oops duplicate post
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:29 am
deleted
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:30 am
I hope there isn't a racist backlash - all moslems can't be blamed in the same way that all catholics can't be blamed for the IRA.

It's right that terrorism creates more resistance and less toleration of opposing views.

45 with very serious injuries, over 300 with less severe injuries - deaths don't know yet.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:31 am
Now there's a haunting picture:

Passengers evacuate an underground train at Kings Cross

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/05/in_pictures_enl_1120742501/img/1.jpg
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:33 am
Deaths (according to our TV reports) number 96 with more to be counted from the bus explosion.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:34 am
... and if the power was still on - one of those rails is a live one, carrying the electricity to power the train.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:36 am
96 ? BBC is still reporting 2
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:38 am
What a picture.

AP is still saying 40 dead, 300 injured.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:39 am
35 deaths 'officially' by now - 40 by some newspapers.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 09:00 am
Hope London A2K members and their loved ones are okay.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 09:02 am
Vivien wrote:
... and if the power was still on - one of those rails is a live one, carrying the electricity to power the train.

I remember reading there was a power outage...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 09:06 am
the prince wrote:
96 ? BBC is still reporting 2

Sorry. Embarrassed I must have misheard... in the midst of the on-going news conference they now say 33 confirmed deaths. Explosions at three different stations plus one bus.

Other quotes from that broadcast:

"We don't know if this is over yet."

"Likely that devices were on trains."
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 09:10 am
I am glad that the ones who have checked in here are ok and I hope that their friends and loved ones are as well.

Once again, I want to express my sympathies for all of London and those affected by the bombings and I hope that there is not more to come.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 09:59 am
While expressing my sympathies for all Londoners and Brits everywhere, I left out what I was really thinking. My apologies for this belligerant US administration for further polarizing the world after 9/11.

I wonder if this might be a turning point in realizing how destructive and damaging our invasion of Iraq was, including the resulting, deadly repercussions. Perhaps now the rest of the world will decide to follow another path, one of solidarity and concern rather than invasion with a sort of manifest destiny in mind. They might actually forget the oil and help the people. Dream on.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 10:01 am
It is ironic that England had already announced an exit plan from the war.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 10:02 am
my support to all you londonites. my best friend from high school is there, but her mom said she is ok...well 7 months pregnant with an hour walk home, but not injured.

isn't material girl in london? have we heard from her? i can't remember exactly where she was.

foxnews.com is saying 40 deaths. damn terrorists. lots of hugs to all of you in london.
0 Replies