major incident in London

timberlandko

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 05:18 pm
Oh, I didn't mean chaos and confusion in Birmingham, I meant what we've got here, in relationship to the story. I'm sure the Brits have it well in hand at their end.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 05:22 pm
Well, thanks to internet everyone could follow this story nearly simultaniously: radio, news-ticker, news alerts, videos ... and shortwave radio :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 06:20 pm
You may call it chaos and confusion here, but the access to information, and the speed with which access can be had, are unprecedented in human history. I'm in Ohio, i believe Lash is in Texas, Lil' Kay is in Massachusetts, Walter is in some savage, benighted land in Yer-up, and unless he's on the road right now, C.I. is in California, and the Big Bird is in some savage, benighted state north of Illinios. Yet wer're all leaning over our virtual backyard fences, and discussing not wars and rumors of wars, but the information available from reputable news agencies, and we can come to some reasonable conclusions about events in minutes. Just as recently as my youth, such an event might not swim into our ken until the next day, and details would dribble in over days. During the Crimean War, the English and French soldiers were disgusted to read, not once, but three times, that Sebastapol had fallen to them, while they still grubbed in the mud before the city, and shivered in their inadequate clothing and tents. Those reports were published in The Times and le Moniteur, not in the yellow press.

We've come a long way, babies.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 06:23 pm
That we have, Set, that we have.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 06:57 pm
littlek, I found the following from the BBC on controlled explosions.

Controlled explosions on van
A series of controlled explosions have been carried out on a van in the central London.

Bomb squad officers used the explosions to gain access to the van outside St Paul's Yard, near St Paul's Cathedral, just before 2000 BST.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said there was nothing to suggest there was any terrorist involvement.

He added it is believed there were no explosives inside the van.

Nearby buildings and roads were evacuate

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/london/3035575.stm

Published: 2003/05/16 19:36:22 GMT

© BBC MMV
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 07:04 pm
litlek, This is the report I was talking about earlier - highlighted.

7 July 2005 London bombings
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
(Redirected from 7 July 2005 London bombing)

On Thursday, July 7, 2005 a series of four bomb explosions struck London's transport system during the morning rush hour. Three London Underground trains were hit within half an hour, and a London Bus was hit 30 minutes later. At least 50 people were reported dead with the number of injured reported as high as 700 (with 22 of these in a serious or critical condition).

The incidents led to the complete shutdown of the London Underground network and the closure of many roads near the affected stations. Mainline train services into many London stations terminated outside the city for most of the day, and the city's bus network was shut down in the central zone (Zone 1).

Metropolitan Police Service Commissioner Sir Ian Blair said that explosions were probably the result of a "major terrorist attack" but did not speculate on any group or groups involved. The bombings came while the UK hosted the first full day of the 31st G8 summit at Gleneagles Hotel, Perthshire, and a day after London was chosen to host the 2012 Summer Olympics.

The incident was the deadliest single act of terrorism within the United Kingdom since the 1988 bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie (which killed 270 people).

Bombings
Home Secretary Charles Clarke told the House of Commons that four blasts had been confirmed: three explosions took place on the London Underground in central London and one on a double-decker bus during London's rush hour. Each explosion was caused by a bomb comprising up to 10 lbs of high explosive, placed on the floors of the train carriages and bus. The Underground attacks were detonated by timers while the bus attack may have involved either a suicide bomber or the bomb may have been accidentally detonated, although the police stated that they have so far found no positive evidence of a suicide bombing.

There were also unconfirmed reports that two other unexploded package bombs were found on the trains[1]. These were later explained by the police as being suspect packages that were destroyed using controlled explosions, but turned out not to be additional bombs.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 07:06 pm
Thanks for both, CI.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 07:08 pm
Most recent report from BBC.

Mass arrests made in Milan swoops
Italian police have arrested 142 people in the course of a two-day security operation in and around Milan which was prompted by the London bombings.
Most were detained over drugs, theft or illegal immigration while 1.5 kilos (3.3 pounds) of explosives were found at the home of a convicted criminal.

Some 2,000 police took part in the operation in Italy's business capital.

Threats have been posted on Islamist websites threatening to attack the country, which has troops in Iraq.

A police official, Col Cosimo Piccino, said the sweep was meant "to guarantee greater security after the London attacks and to combat illegal immigration and street crime".

Some 7,000 people are said to have undergone preventive police checks.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 07:09 pm
CI, that isn't such breaking news, by now.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 07:10 pm
I guess not; it's one hour old according to my web browser.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 07:13 pm
I thought it happened several hours ago.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 07:20 pm
timberlandko wrote:
I've never said mistakes weren't made.

You mean by us? If so, which mistakes are you referring to?

You say that nothing justifies tyranny, but we supported a tyrant in Iraq. In Iran we lead a coup against the democratically elected PM and installed a tyrannical monarch, the Shah.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 07:33 pm
Quote:
A Scotland Yard spokesman said there was nothing to suggest there was any terrorist involvement.

He needs to stop smoking crack.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 08:41 pm
I just posted this to the "attack" thread. No response. Anyone know more? Sounds very worrying:

Can anyone in the UK comment further on this? Recent item in Oz news:

Birmingham on alert after terror warning:
http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/birmingham-on-alert-after-terror-warning/2005/07/10/1120934113898.html?oneclick=true
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 08:43 pm
We've been discussing that, MsOlga. I think.....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 08:46 pm
Ah, thanks, k! I've only read the last few posts ... thought we were still talking about the first London.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 08:47 pm
Are you caught up?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 08:50 pm
Yeah, thanks k. Have jumped back a few pages & now all is clear! Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 08:54 pm
Good! Looks like the Burmingham thing is going to be ok (crossing fingers).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 08:56 pm
I do hope so, k. Enough already.
0 Replies