major incident in London

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 04:04 pm
Just remembering that terrorists already have killed about 20 people in the 70's in Birmimgham.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 04:05 pm
In 1974 it was, and 21 were killed by bombs in two pubs.
0 Replies

churchofME

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 04:13 pm
The Brummies are as tough as the Londoners. You can't break Londons spirit with bombs and (God forbid) if there is a bomb in Birmingham the Brummies won't be cowed either.
0 Replies

churchofME

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 04:18 pm
BBC says Police are carrying out controlled explosions in Birmingham
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 04:18 pm
littlek wrote:
Does anyone know if there's a list of the names of the dead?

There's a site with missed persons on the BBC
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 04:20 pm
Walter, thanks, I'd already seen that.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 04:35 pm
Just out:

Quote:
About 20,000 people have been evacuated from Birmingham city centre amid a security alert.
West Midlands Police asked people to leave Broad Street, the main entertainment hub and two other areas. Some city homes were also evacuated.

No vehicles are being allowed past the inner ring road into the city centre, and there have also been reports of controlled explosions by police.

West Midlands Police said it was in response to intelligence it received.
Source
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 04:38 pm
What are those controlled explosions about?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 04:39 pm
Heard on TV news that more than one bomb has been found in Birmingham and they are being detonated to prevent surprise explosion.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 04:41 pm
If they find unidentified packages on the trains or tunnels, they do a controlled explosion. However, the one they blew up of an unidentified package, it was not explosives inside the package.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 04:43 pm
Ah, I see.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 05:01 pm
I hope CI's version is correct.

I heard they were bombs---but maybe that was wrong.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 05:05 pm
According to the policespokewomen and media reports (I listen live to the local radio station) until 10 - 15mins ago there was no bomb
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 05:08 pm
But, as to why they are doing controlled explosions, was Ci right?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 05:10 pm
20,000 people evacuated from Birmingham centre after threat 20 minutes ago

BIRMINGHAM, England (AFP) - Police evacuated 20,000 people from the centre of Britain's second-biggest city, Birmingham, and carried out a controlled explosion on a bus after receiving intelligence on an unspecified threat, a senior police officer said.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We have evacuated an area of Birmingham city centre... and we are asking people who are there at the moment to go home," said Stuart Hyde, assistant chief constable of West Midlands Police, told reporter.

Police insisted that the decision to close such a large part of the city had not been taken lightly and Hyde confirmed that a controlled explosion had been carried out on a bus.

Hyde said the measures were taken following information about a "substantial threat" to the area, but he said the incident was probably not connected to the London bomb attacks.

"I don't believe that the incident that we are dealing with this evening is connected with the events of July 7 in London," he said. "I want to make that pretty clear.

The officer praised the public and staff at clubs, bars and other business premises for being extremely cooperative with efforts to move people away from the city centre.

"We have made this decision after careful analysis and consideration and we are very, very grateful to the public for their understanding.

"We believe it is a proportionate response to the information."
---------
Now, I am completely non-plussed!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 05:14 pm
So far, the live-feed news tickers, including Reuters, the Beeb, and AFP, as well as AP, UPI, CNN, and FOX, have indicated only "precautionary, controlled demolition" (singular, BTW - timber), no confirmation of bombs or other explosives. From whayt I gather, the Birmingham police acted on "credible intelligence" relating to a "threat to public safety" centered on the city's entertainment district/city center. At first, traffic into the area was restricted, then a general evacuation was ordered and carried out. So far as I can tell, all we've got so far is chaos and confusion.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 05:15 pm
Lash wrote:

Now, I am completely non-plussed!

Well, they've taken the same BBC report I'd linked some responses before. (Post: 1444196 )
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 05:16 pm
And, they are really pointing out that they don't think it is related to the bombings.

That is so weird.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 05:16 pm
timberlandko wrote:
So far as I can tell, all we've got so far is chaos and confusion.

Live pictures and reports don't show this .... as far as I can judge (depends, what you call 'chaos' and 'confusion'.)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 05:17 pm
I think he means about the investigation.
0 Replies