Is the following true about American rednecks and ringworm?

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2020 07:35 pm
Hi. I'm doing some research on American subculture for a project and I'm interested in American rural subculture.

Is it true rednecks were known to walk around barefoot like hillbillies, and if so were rednecks affected by hookworm like hillbillies were?

Please help. Thank you.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,437 • Replies: 6
No top replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2020 09:21 pm
Historically, rednecks did walk around barefoot and they were affected by ringworm according to this:

https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/blood-money-hookworm-economics-in-the-postbellum-south

However this article doesn't talk about more modern era rednecks.
Dr Sliptinschit

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2020 12:16 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Hi. I'm doing some research on American subculture for a project and I'm interested in American rural subculture.

Is it true rednecks were known to walk around barefoot like hillbillies, and if so were rednecks affected by hookworm like hillbillies were?

Please help. Thank you.

The redneck, hillbilly, democrats are known for having all kinds of physical ailments. Mostly do from inbreeding.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2020 03:32 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Historically, rednecks did walk around barefoot and they were affected by hookworm according to this:

https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/blood-money-hookworm-economics-in-the-postbellum-south

However this article doesn't talk about more modern era rednecks.

-FIXED
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2020 03:34 am
I botched the title of this thread up. It would read:

Is the following true about American rednecks and hookworm?

-FIXED.
0 Replies

JessaH

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2021 07:07 am
@JGoldman10,
Funny topic. I think I read a report from one guy on this topic and it mentioned walking barefoot. I don't remember all the nuances. But this was not described as a required trait of these people.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2021 08:07 am
One thing you have wrong is what "red necks" were. They were pro union coal miners in WVA who wore red kerchiefs on their neck so they could id each other during running gun battles with company goons who shot shot women and children clearing company housing during strikes.
0 Replies