What comic book genres are popular now besides the superhero one?

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 04:54 pm
Hi. I'm curious about this. The superhero genre is without a question one of the most popular comic book genres if not the most popular comics book genres.

I remember when Stan Lee, the public face of Marvel Comics, passed a few years ago, the world wouldn't shut up about it.

I know superhero and sci-fi shows and films are very popular now. Are sci-fi comics very popular now?

If sci-fi is another popular comic book genres, what other popular comic book genres are there?

Please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 4,420 • Replies: 40
No top replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 05:59 pm
As a comic creator I would like to know this.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 07:10 pm
@JGoldman10,
Horror and fantasy have been popular in recent years. DC launched a new horror imprint, Hill House, led by noted horror writer Joe Hill. Their Young Animal imprint had books that were a mix between sci-fi and fantasy.

DC and Marvel have also been blending the superhero genre with other genres. DC has DCeased, which is about superheroes becoming zombies, Batman: Last Knight on Earth, which is a post apocalyptic comic, and Harleen, a psychological drama.
Marvel recently had a Vision comic, which was more of a dark family drama.

On a related note, longtime comic writer and editor Dennis O'Neil recently passed away, and both DC and Marvel had memorials about O'Neil.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 07:15 pm
@JGoldman10,
You can also go to Comixology.com to see all comics, mainstream and indie, that are available digitally.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 10:33 pm
@JGoldman10,
havent read a comic since I read all my cousins "Crypt Keeper" collection when I was pre kindergarten.

They dont do Gothic Horror like that anymore. Superheros seem to be wimps who violate every law of physics and chemistry.
Did anyone ever publish comic CDs??
I underrstand cloud comix but actual disc CDs?? anybody ever do that??
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2020 08:29 am
@JGoldman10,
There are a whole line of kid comics like Richie Rich, casper, Archie, The various ducks etc.

A lot of war based comics, Sgt. Rock, Haunted Tank, Unknown Soldier, Sgt. Fury etc

Teen girl comics Monster High etc (I don't know tiles of that genre)

Horror/terror Walking dead, Tales from the crypt etc

Basically, if there is an audience, there is a comic.
Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2020 08:56 am
@McGentrix,
DC stopped publishing their war comics years ago, though Sgt. Rock and The Unknown Soldier do make occasional appearances in other comics.

The Walking Dead comic actually ended without warning last year, but there are plans to publish a colorized version of the series in Fall 2020.

But as you say, "if there is an audience, there is a comic".
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2020 09:56 am
@Rebelofnj,
But are sci-fi comics popular now?
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2020 09:57 am
@McGentrix,
I know about children's comics.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2020 10:04 am
@JGoldman10,
The Marvel cosmic comics are popular. The Image comic Saga is popular, though people like the dialogue and the family drama more than the sci-fi setting

Plus, some people prefer to read comics written and/or drawn by certain creators, regardless of genre. For example, Jeff Lemire has written sci-fi, horror, superhero, slice of life, and fantasy.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2020 10:05 am
@McGentrix,
I had a collection of Archie books when I was a young child and teenager. Comic books about Archie Andrews and related characters that is.

The Archie books are still being published but I don't know how popular they are now.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2020 10:07 am
@Rebelofnj,
What DC sci-fi comics are popular?
Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2020 10:25 am
@JGoldman10,
There are the new Adam Strange and Mister Miracle comics, though those are popular because they are written by fan favorite writer Tom King, who previously wrote the popular DC sci-fi book The Omega Men.

There is also Far Sector, which is a Green Lantern comic written by noted sci-fi author N.K. Jemisin.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2020 12:40 pm
@JGoldman10,
You haven't watched "Riverdale" on TV? It's Archie and the gang at Riverdale High
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2020 02:10 pm
@McGentrix,
No, I've heard and read about it. I remember years ago there was a live-action made-for-TV movie about Archie and the gang on NBC.
Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2020 02:43 pm
@JGoldman10,
That movie aired 30 years ago.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie:_To_Riverdale_and_Back_Again

Fun fact: none of the main Archie cast of Riverdale weren't even born when it aired. Only a few of the supporting actors and the parent actors were old enough to have seen it.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2020 03:47 pm
@Rebelofnj,
No.... Riverdale is an American teen drama television series based on the characters of Archie Comics.

Is a series on the CW
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2020 03:55 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I know that. I vaguely remember the film. A lot of people said the movie wasn't very good.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2020 04:14 pm
@JGoldman10,
Knowing your religious beliefs, I would advise against your watching the television program Riverdale. That is, if and when you have your cable reinstated (although Riverdale is shown on cost-free television). You see Mr.Goldman, the show has both a homosexual and a bisexual character. I know this has offended your sensibilities in the past.

The program itself, seems far removed from the lighthearted care that the comic books and Saturday morning cartoons.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2020 04:25 pm
@Sturgis,
I don't need to to tell me that. I read about the show. It's a secular teen drama.
0 Replies