4

Poll: Do you MISS Yahoo! Answers?

Reply Tue 25 May, 2021 08:08 am
Hi. I do. I feel deprived. Yahoo! Answers USED to be my go-to Q-and-A site when I wanted to pose questions about ANYTHING. I got a lot of research done on that site. I knew there would be at least one person who could answer any question I posted.

I had more than one account and I was able to get a datapack from the last account I had. I put in a request to download data from the first account I had. I am still waiting for Yahoo! to notify me when my download is ready.

It sucks that I can't even access cached pages of questions on Yahoo! Answers. The only way I can think of to access questions on Yahoo! Answers is to see if archived pages of questions exist in the Internet Archive.

It sucks that the questions file and the answers file in every datapack you get from from Yahoo! Answers will only have your own written questions and answers. It will not have the answers written by other people to your questions.

I don't get what the point of that is. That makes no sense.

As I said in another thread, I will have to go searching around the internet looking for NEW Q-and-A sites to go to. I still have more research to do.

What about you? Do you miss Yahoo! Answers?

I am curious. Please help. Thank you.

engineer

2  
Reply Tue 25 May, 2021 08:22 am
@JGoldman10,
I thought YA was a great idea. There were some extreme examples of bad behavior, the community intentionally misleading people, but I thought the vast majority of answers were useful and the archive of answers was very useful. Sorry to see it go.

Region posted this link of good QA sites to go to now that YA is gone.

Rebelofnj

1  
Reply Tue 25 May, 2021 08:42 am
@JGoldman10,
Honestly, not at all. For two reasons:

*In the 10+ years I used YA, I mainly answered questions and only asked 10 questions total. So I never used YA to find answers as I can usually find what I need via Google.

*The user base had become more hostile in a way . I found one user in the Comics section who was knowledgeable in comics but was very transphobic. Then there was that user with an irrational hate towards the show Friends.

Besides, I could always use Quora.

1  
Reply Tue 25 May, 2021 09:47 am
I never used Yahoo Answers.

I tend to use google to find things out.
engineer

1  
Reply Tue 25 May, 2021 12:25 pm
The funny thing was when I queried Google, it would often return YA results.

1  
Reply Tue 25 May, 2021 12:28 pm
@engineer,
I suppose that may have happened for me but it doesn’t stand out so I could have inadvertently used it.

JGoldman10

1  
Reply Tue 25 May, 2021 03:13 pm
But the internet isn't as comprehensive as people would like to think it is. It sometimes doesn't tell you things directly. That's why I used Q-and-A sites like Yahoo! Answers.
JGoldman10

1  
Reply Tue 25 May, 2021 03:14 pm
@engineer,
Yes. I Googled questions I remember posting on Yahoo! Answers.

1  
Reply Tue 25 May, 2021 03:37 pm
@JGoldman10,
I’m sorry, I didn’t realise I was using the Internet incorrectly, nobody told me I had to check with you first.
Rebelofnj

1  
Reply Tue 25 May, 2021 03:59 pm
@JGoldman10,
I have helped you numerous times on countless questions on animation and comics, even though I do not work in the animation and comics industries.

And many of your questions are not at all complicated or obscure.
I have used Google on every one of those questions. Whatever you ask is not that difficult to answer. You just don't know how to use the Advanced Search options on Google, Wikipedia, The Internet Archive, and so on.

JGoldman10

1  
Reply Wed 26 May, 2021 09:38 pm
I'm speaking from experience, from years of doing online research.

1  
Reply Thu 27 May, 2021 01:16 am
@JGoldman10,
You asked if anyone missed yahoo, when I said I never used them you took issue with that.

I’m talking from personal experience too.
JGoldman10

1  
Reply Fri 28 May, 2021 12:51 am
I don't have an issue with people not using the site.

1  
Reply Fri 28 May, 2021 01:30 am
@JGoldman10,
Just as well considering it won’t be around for much longer.

Brackwom

0  
Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2021 10:34 pm
@JGoldman10,
No, because I use google.