The Mac vs. PC war

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2019 07:40 am
Hi. I am just a bit curious about this. IBM and Microsoft have been feuding since the '70s, but the Mac Vs. PC war didn't start until 1988, when Apple sued Microsoft for ripping off Apple's Macintosh OS with the Windows OS, if I am not mistaken.

I know the Mac Vs. PC war was going on since the 2000's, and I think I recall seeing and/or reading something about it from one of my dad's old computer magazines from the late '90s/early 2000's; there was something about it on the cover of one of those magazines- MacWorld, PC World, PC Magazine, etc.- but I don't remember which one it was.

The Mac vs. PC war has been ingrained into the American subconscious and immortalized into pop culture to an extent:
https://www.diffen.com/difference/Mac_vs_PC#Mac_vs._PC_War

https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/mac-pc-advertising-history
https://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-slams-apple-macbook-laptops-ad-2019-8
https://www.computerworld.com/article/2525665/why-is-the-pc-vs--mac-war-still-raging-.html

According to this the war is over:
https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-mac-vs-microsoft-windows-pc-is-over-2016-12
but according to this:
http://vectornews.eu/news/technologies/31463-the-new-mac-vs-pc-war-is-all-about-touch.html
there's a new war. Is this true?

Is the Mac vs. PC war still going on? If not, when did it end?

Please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 6,693 • Replies: 38
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2019 01:46 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
...war didn't start until 1988...

Quote:
...war was going on since the 2000s...

Which is it Sherlock?

No idea and don't particularly care if the fight between them is still on or if it ever ceased. As long as I can access the internet, I'm at least moderately contented.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2019 07:52 pm
@Sturgis,
I knew the war was going on at least since the 2000's. I was doing a little research on the origin of the war- someone told me the war started when Microsoft sued Windows over Windows copying their OS.

I did a little fact checking to see if that was true, and I would like someone to correct me if I am wrong.

How is that not clear?

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2019 08:24 pm
@Sturgis,
If I may ask, internet access is all you basically use your computer for? That's all you care about as far using your computer is concerned? You don't care which browsers you use?

You don't care about things like hardware and software?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2019 08:29 pm
I don't know too much about Macs, or any Apple computers. I have been using Windows PCs for years.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2019 08:30 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I was doing a little research on the origin of the war- someone told me the war started when Microsoft sued Windows over Windows copying their OS.

This happened in 1988.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2019 08:46 pm
I use a Macbook Pro for work. I mainly use Linux at home. I use Windows occasionally when I need access to a Microsoft only application.

The operating system doesn't really matter these days. They all do the same thing. If you are a normal user who wants to surf the web, play games and run a few apps... you can pretty easily switch between one and the other without much thought.

Apple wins on hardware. The trackpad, function bar and screens are very well integrated.

Linux is free (free as in speech and free as in beer). The cost is that It takes a little more time to maintain it and there are some applications that aren't supported (although three is some cool stuff that is free for Linux).

I don't really know why people still buy Windows. I suppose it is the middle ground between Apple (which costs more) and Linux (which takes a little more expertise to use).

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2019 09:02 pm
@maxdancona,
According to what I read and saw online, cost and functionality is what separates Macs from PCs. Why people prefer one computer over another. Windows PCs generally cost less than Macs.

Did you see this video?:

This video explains the key differences between the two computers in detail.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2019 09:13 pm
@maxdancona,
Which computer is better to produce animation and comics with- a Mac or a Windows PC?
maxdancona

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2019 09:30 pm
@JGoldman10,
My son uses a Microsoft Surface Pro for this with an external graphics pad. He is very happy with it. I am sure that a good Macbook would do the trick just as well.
oralloy

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2019 10:47 pm
I'm not sure if the war really had a definite end. It just sort of faded away as desktop and notebook computers became less relevant.

Many people today find that a phablet satisfies all of their computing needs.

Video gamers who want more than a phablet can provide can get plenty from the latest Xbox or PlayStation.

Of course, Apple is a big contender in the phablet market, and Microsoft makes the Xbox.
oralloy

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2019 10:50 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:
Which computer is better to produce animation and comics with- a Mac or a Windows PC?

I'm not sure it really matters. Although artists and creative people have tended to favor Macs in my experience.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2019 12:11 pm
@oralloy,
Which computer do you use if I may ask?
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2019 12:13 pm
@oralloy,
How come IBM/Apple doesn't make gaming consoles?
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2019 12:16 pm
@maxdancona,
Your son is a cartoonist and/or animator?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2019 03:29 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:
Which computer do you use if I may ask?

I build my own.

I use Windows 10 for my operating system.
oralloy

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2019 03:33 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:
How come IBM/Apple doesn't make gaming consoles?

They just never decided to get into the business.

It was kind of a surprise (to me at least) when Microsoft entered the business with the Xbox, although they certainly did well.

Both the Xbox and the PlayStation are pretty good systems. Anybody who tries to enter the market now will face some pretty stiff competition.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2019 04:24 pm
@oralloy,
Is that what is called refurbishing a computer?
oralloy

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2019 04:34 pm
@JGoldman10,
No. Refurbishing would be taking an old computer and putting it in working order.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2019 04:56 pm
@oralloy,
Then what do you call putting a computer together from spare parts?