What are common and/or stereotypical jock and bully names?

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 08:30 pm
Hi. I am doing a little research on this for a project.

By "jock" I mean "athlete":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jock_(stereotype)

Especially those musclebound types you see in high school or went to high school with, who are stuck on themselves and are into sports.

A bully is a person who habitually seeks to harm or intimidate those whom they perceive as vulnerable.

Jocks are often stereotyped as bullies but not all jocks are bullies. Anyone can be a bully.

I am trying to find definitive sources for both common and/or stereotypical names for jocks and bullies. I am aware of the fact there's a recently formed companion dog breed called the "American Bully":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Bully

When I was searching for names for bullies I was finding sites that list names for the dog breed.

Please help- thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 12,000 • Replies: 21

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 03:23 am
Like I said, anyone can be a bully. One does not have to be a jock to be a bully.

When I think of a bully I think of a thug - someone who just picks on people who are different.

School bullies often fit under this image.

A stereotypical beach bully is the big hulking guy who comes along and kicks sand in a little guy's face.
hightor

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 05:07 am
@JGoldman10,
Butch, Biff, Brett, Buster
izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 05:25 am
@JGoldman10,
Jock is a slang term for a Scotsman.

https://garrydesmond.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/rockin.png
izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 05:29 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1017318857030193152/jJhwZlE1_400x400.jpg

Standard comic names, Basher, Cruncher, Smasher.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 11:04 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Butch, Biff, Brett, Buster

Brutus

I think if has to start with the letter B
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 01:56 pm
Peter Parker's bully's nickname is Flash. His real name is Eugene.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 02:45 pm
@izzythepush,
I am aware of that, and it's capitalized when referring to a Scotsman. There's a handful of other meanings for "jock":

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/jock?s=t

I am using it here in American English to mean "athlete".
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 01:08 am
@izzythepush,
I have to remember there are a number of non-Americans who use this site. Jespah told me a non-American founded this site.

I should qualify the term "American" when I want Americans to respond to certain threads.

I apologize if my use of the terms "foreigner" or "foreigners" offended you.

Why do some Europeans use the terms "furreigner" or "furreigners" when referring to Americans?
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 01:17 am
@Linkat,
"Brock" sounds like a bully's or a jock's name. So does "Spike" for some reason.

Biff Tannen was the name of the bully in the first two Back To The Future movies.

Brock Samson is the name of the bodyguard in The Venture Bros.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 02:47 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

IWhy do some Europeans use the terms "furreigner" or "furreigners" when referring to Americans?

Give examples.
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 08:27 am
When a man wears a thong it is called a jock strap. It was first marketed by the Jockey Company about 1920 and has been a badge of office among high school athletes ever since. It is so common that all athletes are called jock strappers, or just jocks. The genuine Jockey article is made with a rubberized fabric that might chafe your leg. If that happens put corn starch on it.
hightor

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 10:45 am
@Jewels Vern,
Quote:
If that happens put corn starch on it.

As an old cross country runner I approve of this method.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 11:06 am
@hightor,
I thought you were an old, cross, country singer.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2021 04:26 am
"Biff" sounds like a stereotypical jock name. Is it? Is it a stereotypical White guy's name? When I think of "Biff" I think of one of those stereotypical White jocks you see in gyms.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2021 04:57 am
@JGoldman10,
I think of Death of a Salesman.

It’s the only place I’ve heard the name.
Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2021 11:36 am
@izzythepush,
Biff from back to the future

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/15/BiffTannenBackToTheFuture1985.jpg

"Biff Howard Tannen is a fictional character in the Back to the Future trilogy. Thomas F. Wilson plays Biff in all three films as well as the Universal Studios ride, and voiced the character in the animated series. Biff is the main antagonist of the first and second films. Biff's great-grandfather, Buford "Mad Dog" Tannen, fills a similar role in the third.

The character is portrayed as a tall, aggressive, dim-witted and misogynistic bully who obtains what he wants by intimidating others into doing his work for him, or by cheating. He and his family members are shown to misuse idioms in ways that make them appear stupid and pathetic despite their intention to insult or scare. His favorite insult is "butthead"."
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2021 12:19 pm
@Linkat,
Thank you. I was going to get to that.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2021 02:58 pm
@JGoldman10,
Biff Brannon was a gentle hearted restaurant owner/manager in the book The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter by the late Carson McCullers.

Set in a Georgia milltown in the 1930s, a highly enjoyable reading experience, which can educate people about various aspects of bigotry.

Then there was good natured Biff Baker, portrayed by Alan Hale Jr. in the early 1950s television series Biff Baker, USA

I used the name Biff for one of my continuing characters in an ongoing series of police department mystery novels. A decent fellow, residing and working in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2021 03:08 pm
@Sturgis,
Not a bully then.

I must admit I’d forgotten about Back to the Future, and that particular Biff fits the stereotype Mr Goldman was talking about, but he seems the only one.

It’s not a name you hear over here at all which is why I automatically went for Arthur Miller.

There was a comic strip character in the Beano called Biffo the Bear, but that’s as close as it gets.