Stone Ghosts In The South: Confederate Monuments And America's Battle With Itself.

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2020 09:59 pm
Stone Ghosts In The South:

Confederate Monuments And America's Battle With Itself.

Real Music

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2020 10:06 pm

This video is very powerful.
0 Replies

Dr Sliptinschit

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 03:49 pm
https://www.redstatememewar.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/8E69B341-84C3-48F5-A67E-D2BB6EC69A42.jpeg
maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 04:51 pm
@Dr Sliptinschit,
I am curious what your opinion is concerning the monuments. We all agree that they were erected by Democrats.

The question is whether we should bring these monuments down.

You will notice, Sliptinschit, I am treating you as a human being rather than as a partisan bot. I would like to hear your sincere opinion on this issue.

If we can reach an agreement that these (Democrat) monuments should come down... then that would be rare example of common ground.
oralloy

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 05:36 pm
@maxdancona,
The statues should not come down.

But if they do come down, all the statues of MLK should come down too.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 05:58 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

The statues should not come down.

But if they do come down, all the statues of MLK should come down too.

You are getting sillier every day Oralloy.

But I was asking the SliptinSchit.
oralloy

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 06:06 pm
@maxdancona,
You cannot point out anything about my posts that is even remotely silly.

You just throw the word around whenever you are confronted with something that you dislike but have no actual argument against.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 06:25 pm
@oralloy,
Bringing Martin Luther King into a discussion about Confederate Monuments is either stupid, or asinine (or both).

I don't know whether you think Martin Luther King had something to do with the Civil war, or if this is just the kind of tit-for-tat that you would expect from a snot-nosed third grader. It is an asshole thing to say that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

oralloy

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 06:29 pm
@maxdancona,
What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. It looks like you don't much like the idea of taking a dose of your own medicine.

I'm actually surprised that aggrieved Southerners haven't shot the head off that big statue of MLK in DC yet.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 06:36 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

OK... so you are being the snot-nosed third grader.

oralloy

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 06:38 pm
@maxdancona,
What is it about my sense of fair play that you most object to?
0 Replies

Dr Sliptinschit

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 06:39 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I am curious what your opinion is concerning the monuments. We all agree that they were erected by Democrats.

The question is whether we should bring these monuments down.

You will notice, Sliptinschit, I am treating you as a human being rather than as a partisan bot. I would like to hear your sincere opinion on this issue.

If we can reach an agreement that these (Democrat) monuments should come down... then that would be rare example of common ground.

The monuments should stay as a reminder of what the democrats are capable of, much like Auschwitz.

After WWII German citizens were forced to tour the death camps, maybe we should be doing something similar with American Democrats.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 06:46 pm
@Dr Sliptinschit,
Quote:
The monuments should stay as a reminder of what the democrats are capable of, much like Auschwitz.

After WWII German citizens were forced to tour the death camps, maybe we should be doing something similar with American Democrats.

I understand this argument. There should be sites that show the horrors of American slavery and White Supremacy (that was supported for years by Democrats). However, there is a big difference.

- There are zero monuments in Germany celebrating Nazi military or political leaders.
- There are no schools in Germany named after Nazi leaders.
- There are no profession race car drivers who sport the Nazi flag.

Do you you think that we remove any monument, or school or flag that is celebrating Confederate heritage?

There is a big difference between memorializing a horrible crime against the United States, and celebrating it.

Do you agree that we should take down all of the statues that are celebrating or honoring confederate military and political figures (the same way that Germany has taken down all of the statues honoring Nazi figures)?

Dr Sliptinschit

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 07:13 pm
@maxdancona,
I don't think of the monuments as celebrating or honoring what the Democrats did to their slaves.

The only reason Democrats want them removed is because its a huge shame on their racist history.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 07:14 pm
@Dr Sliptinschit,
Dr Sliptinschit wrote:

The only reason Democrats want them removed is because its a huge shame on their racist history.

I don't think anyone would argue with this. You are absolutely correct.

I don't see why you are hesitant to say that they should come down.

Dr Sliptinschit

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 07:21 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I don't think anyone would argue with this. You are absolutely correct.

I don't see why you are hesitant to say that they should come down.

I explained that already.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 07:24 pm
@Dr Sliptinschit,
It doesn't make sense.

The people who want to keep this monument up see it as a site of honor. They are calling it their heritage. There is a basic contradiction in this part of your narrative.

I have no problem agreeing with you that it was the Democrats. And I have no problem admitting that these monuments are shameful as you say.

You stop making sense when you imply the people defending these monuments see them as shameful. That just isn't reality.
0 Replies