Single Girl wants to get over Married Man

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 12:03 am
I'm 26. Broke up with my boyfriend 4 months ago because I fell in love with a 31 year old married man and he with me. It was the first time in my life I felt loved and cared for and I was totally and madly in love. He claims that he'd never felt like this for someone before and he didn't have feelings for his wife anymore.

For 4 months, my daily pathetic whining line to him was:

"We're never gonna be together, are we?"

Well, today I finally realised the answer to that eternal question. And I want to start afresh. Just wondering if anyone has advice for me on how to get on with life and not get sucked into this messy emotional vortex again.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,381 • Replies: 10
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:00 am
Hi jadeblossom,

First, congrats on having made that decision already and just looking for ways to hold yourself to it.

The short version is to get yourself busy -- work, hobbies, friends, exercise, new classes, books, etc., etc. -- and give yourself time to get over it. Not sure how common this has been in your life, but the thing about going straight from one man to another makes me think that you could maybe use some time to yourself, not in a sexual relationship. (I started to say "not in a relationship", but I don't mean monastic seclusion, and everyone has lots of relationships; friends, family, etc.)

Good luck!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:05 am
I have to say that I am glad you have decided to end this. It isn't right and will cause you and others nothing but pain.

Soz is right. Occupy yourself. Don't sit around and mope. If you must mope (sometimes we can't help it), at least make yourself leave the house.

And good luck. You've made a wise (albeit tough) decision.
0 Replies

jadeblossom

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 07:17 pm
The 2nd day of my resolution
It's really not easy. I feel so depressed. I feel like I've lost my dad all over again. He was like a dad to me. I know I shouldn't mope. It's just so hard to pick myself up again. I feel so empty.

Incidentally, I'm 26 and he's 31. He's been married 4 years and has a kid.
I have been the other woman for 6 months. I don't want to be the other woman anymore. I just yearn for someone to love me openly, care for me openly, be able to marry me when the time is right.

I've stopped kidding myself into believing that it could be him, even though he's said things like he envisions the both of us having a home together and settling down to a new beginning. I realise now that all that was pure crap. And I was a fool to believe it.

But I feel so empty.
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 07:20 pm
I'm sorry you gotta go through the pain.

My advise to you: Sleep with as many men as you can.

Just kidding.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 07:23 pm
Good job for realizing that. He's proven himself the type of person who will cheat on a spouse, so what would stop him from cheating on you?

Anyway, I don't know what support we can offer, other than a listening ear. Come around and tell us how things are going as often as you want.

And remember, sitting around trying not to think about him is the worst way of thinking about him. Get what I mean? In other words, if you don't want to think about him (and you don't), you need to get yourself thinking about something else. Get involved. Excersize, get a hobby... anything to focus on something else for a while.

Good luck.
0 Replies

jadeblossom

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 10:25 pm
Actually a lot of people have told me that. Not the sleeping around, haha, but that if he could cheat on his wife, he could cheat on me too. Well.... is it true? Once a cheater always a cheater? What if he didn't intend to cheat in the first place?

In my case, we had been good friends for a long time. I knew he was married, he knew I had a boyfriend. There was a clear line drawn between us for 2 years. Then after 2 years, I guess we had a strong base for our friendship and there was a void in both of us that only each other could fill. It was a subconscious thing. We didn't willfully go out to seek it. It's just like, for example, if you see an old friend hurting and you know you can offer some comfort and a listening ear as a friend, and if you yourself are hurting, and he offers you comfort. After awhile, you both depend on each other and that's where the feelings grow. I'm not trying to make excuses or justify my actions because I knew it was wrong, and I wanted to stop it everyday for 6 months but it was very hard. We both clung to each other because only each other could fill the other's void.

But the fact that he fills an emotional void in me doesn't justify an affair at all. SCoates, thanks for the support and listening ear. I will try to not sit around trying not to think about him. Smile Just need to think of what hobby to pick up. Smile Hmm, any suggestions?
0 Replies

Vixen

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 10:50 pm
Dear Jadeblossom,

I am hearing myself in your words... I came to this board for the EXACT same reason - looking for some help to get over a married man.

I posted my story on one of the "having an affair with a married man" threads (I do not want to take up bandwidth here again, but you can find it by clicking on the link that shows all of my posts, if you are interested). I am not having an affair, I don't think you could call it an affair - it was only one night (in March) after 10 years of friendship (albeit, some of those years were very passive - not much contact between us).

I miss him, I want him, I search for him everywhere... it is harder than I could have imagined... but keeping yourself busy is a very good idea. Noddy also gave me some good advice about shaping my own perceptions of the whole thing (just making it a sweet memory that I can return to, but not try to repeat, etc.).

I find that the more I talk about him and the more often I speak of how I feel about him - the more it hurts. So, in the beginning of this message I was tempted to write about why and how I fell for him, but had to pull myself back and be more rational - and it really helps.

Also, the whole "sleeping with other men" idea should not be dismissed entirely. Wink I do not suggest that you run around and sleep with every upright animal who has 5 appendages, but I have found that relieving some of your physical needs and fulfilling some desires is very helpful too.

If I figure out anything else that helps, I will definitely post here...

Good luck to both of us! Smile
0 Replies

jadeblossom

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 12:00 am
Dear Vixen,

Likewise, I hear myself in your words too. I search for him everywhere, in every guy that I meet now, I use him as a yardstick and everyone else falls short. Hopefully this is just temporary! Otherwise I would never be in a relationship anymore! Smile

I hope we'll both be able to get over this and remember it as a sweet memory, a great learning experience and nothing more. Secretly I still harbour the hope that one day we could be together but now I realise that it's a foolish thing to want. Like you, I am learning to be more rational now, but it's very tough because I see him everyday. I can see him as I type now. It's a mental challenge to wake up everyday and steel myself to keep my feelings in check.

Good luck!! I wish for you and myself happy and blissful days ahead knowing that we've come out of tough situations and grown stronger! Smile
0 Replies

Locasarai80

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 07:49 pm
i know how you feel
I too was in a relationship with a married man as well. It's so hard to let go of someone you cared about so much. I can only wish you well....and hope that it will be easy for you to forget about him. I am trying to do the same
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 12:37 pm
Jadeblossom--

You're an old-fashioned girl dreaming about Prince Charming who is going to appear with a glass slipper (which will fit your foot). Then the two of you will ride off into the sunset together.

Twenty-six years old, or not, you are a child of your times. You want to solve your problems with a man.

If you want Prince Charming, better start re-making yourself as a Complete, Fascinating and Independent Woman. Prince Charming isn't going to be looking for just anyone who wears a 7 /1/2 (or whatever) shoe size. He's going to want someone who shares his interests and passions.

Start developing some interests and passions and you just might find Prince Charming at the political rally or backstage at the little theater or on the soccer stands or....

Congratulations for ditching the Married Man. That wasn't easy.

Soz has some good advice.

Good luck.
0 Replies