Mental Health & Spirituality

Jasper10

Fri 10 Jul, 2020 08:06 am
@izzythepush,
Do the commandments in the book of the dead make reference to monotheism?
izzythepush

Fri 10 Jul, 2020 09:19 am
@Jasper10,
You’re the one claiming the commands are different.

The Book Of The Dead is about how to make it through the afterlife.

There are gods that help the departed.

How is polytheism with one supreme god and lesser subservient ones different from a supreme god with a horde of subservient angels?

I can’t see it.

You’ve not included a citation to support your claim that the Ten Commandments are different.

You’ve not said how they’re different either, just a vague comment about how the Egyptians were polytheistic.
Frank Apisa

Fri 10 Jul, 2020 09:54 am
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

It does make mention of them yes.My understanding is that Moses brought a new teaching.

Huh?

Moses "taught" that there were other gods...and that only the one later known as "the god of Abraham" should be worshiped by the people he was teaching.

It is obvious from the writings attributed to Moses (who may be mythical) that he thought there WERE other gods...but that the people to whom he was speaking should not worship them or even speak their name.

The Old Testament, Jasper...is NOT monotheistic. It is polytheistic.
maxdancona

Fri 10 Jul, 2020 10:41 am
You guys should realize...

The story of Moses is certainly a myth. It never happened.

Israeli archeologists have studied this extensively looking for evidence. The Jews were never actually enslaved in Egypt. This did not happen historically.
Jasper10

Fri 10 Jul, 2020 11:04 am
@izzythepush,
My understanding is the commandments given to Moses are different i.e One God with angels.Angels are not Gods.This is my understanding.
Jasper10

Fri 10 Jul, 2020 11:07 am
@maxdancona,
If you want to believe that then I respect your opinion.
0 Replies

Jasper10

Fri 10 Jul, 2020 11:13 am
@Frank Apisa,
My understanding is that Moses clearly recognised that other people believed that there were other Gods.
izzythepush

Fri 10 Jul, 2020 11:39 am
@Jasper10,
What is your understanding based on?
You sound like you’re talking off the hip, you’ve not considered it at all.
You’re making assumptions.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Fri 10 Jul, 2020 12:00 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

You guys should realize...

The story of Moses is certainly a myth. It never happened.

Israeli archeologists have studied this extensively looking for evidence. The Jews were never actually enslaved in Egypt. This did not happen historically.

The Moses thing was always very questionable. Interesting myth...and a good one. But best guess is that the story is mythology.

As for the "captivity" and "escape" of the ancient Hebrews from Egypt, from what I have read the chances are much greater that the ancient Hebrews were expelled from Egypt than that they escaped. The notion of a massive "captivity" seems remote. Not the way the vanquished were handled back then.
Frank Apisa

Fri 10 Jul, 2020 12:02 pm
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

My understanding is that Moses clearly recognised that other people believed that there were other Gods.

My understanding is that Moses "believed" there were other gods.

That seems an inherent part of the story.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Fri 10 Jul, 2020 01:28 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
ncient Hebrews were expelled from Egypt than that they escaped.

Expert archeologists will tell you that the Hebrews were neither expelled from Egypt, nor did the escape.

Because the ancient Hebrews were never in Egypt (in any number). There is no archeological evidence that any large number of Hebrews were ever in Egypt.
izzythepush

Fri 10 Jul, 2020 01:32 pm
@maxdancona,
So what?

The 10 commandments appeared in the Egyptian Book Of The Dead hundreds of years before being written down in the Bible.

What you’re saying is irrelevant.
Frank Apisa

Fri 10 Jul, 2020 01:58 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
ncient Hebrews were expelled from Egypt than that they escaped.

Expert archeologists will tell you that the Hebrews were neither expelled from Egypt, nor did the escape.

Because the ancient Hebrews were never in Egypt (in any number). There is no archeological evidence that any large number of Hebrews were ever in Egypt.

Yup.

And that is pretty much what I said, Max.
0 Replies

Jasper10

Fri 10 Jul, 2020 02:24 pm
@izzythepush,
The full biblical 10 commandments did not appear in the Egyptian book of the dead.
Jasper10

Fri 10 Jul, 2020 02:26 pm
@Jasper10,
That is why it is called the book of the dead and history has recorded as such.
izzythepush

Fri 10 Jul, 2020 02:27 pm
@Jasper10,
Citation.
maxdancona

Fri 10 Jul, 2020 02:32 pm
I am highly skeptical of the claim that the 10 commandments come from the "Book of the Dead". This seems like atheist retconning to me.

I just looked it up. The Book of the Dead has 42 things, not 10, and it includes not stealing the bread of the gods.

The Bible Story of Moses is about a relationship, a promise, between a God and his people. The Book of the Dead is about Magic tricks allowing you to have an afterlife.

I think the claim that one comes from the other is similar to claims that Nostradamus predicted 9/11.
0 Replies

Jasper10

Fri 10 Jul, 2020 02:33 pm
@izzythepush,
The bible is the living word.Prove that it isn’t.
izzythepush

Fri 10 Jul, 2020 03:44 pm
@Jasper10,
I don’t need to. It’s been proven it was written by man and what was included was decided by political considerations.

You ‘re reduced to empty sloganeering.
Jasper10

Fri 10 Jul, 2020 03:55 pm
@izzythepush,
Was it???.It was written by men who clearly had insider information that you are not privy to.I wonder why?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/08/2024 at 05:55:49