Could someone help me explain this sentense? Thanks!

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:00 pm
I'm an English learner...

Teaching faculty should be rated by students at least once a year, on a form that is controlled for student motivation and other possible bias.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 575 • Replies: 6
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:03 pm
Sounds like a phrase explaining techer evaluation forms. Those are the forms handed out at the end of a course where the students evaluate their teacher. The form should be worded so that students can't be seen as manipulating the techer for a better grade. Usually, these forms are filled out without the student's signature..
0 Replies

chitterfisho0

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:14 pm
Thanks, littlek. but what do student motivation and other possible bias refer to?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:17 pm
My guess is that students may try to be more positive on their reviews of teachers in hopes that those teachers may give them a better grade than they deserve. Having the reviews be anonomous makes that bias less likely.

Does that help?
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:44 pm
littlek wrote:
My guess is that students may try to be more positive on their reviews of teachers in hopes that those teachers may give them a better grade than they deserve.

My goodness, Littlek! Did you sit at the front of the class or what? It is just as likely to prevent students who dislike their teacher (because they failed a class, for example) from getting revenge.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:45 pm
Val - either way, we're both cynics.
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:49 pm
Oops. I didn't carefully read the "to get a better grade" part. Ahhh, the world is rightside up again.
0 Replies