Play Ball? 2020 and the MLB Season

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2020 05:37 pm

starting tomorrow, double-headers will be seven innings long...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2020 06:07 am

Commissioner warns of shutdown if virus isn't better managed

Rob Manfred told MLB Players Association executive director Tony Clark on Friday that if the
sport doesn't do a better job of managing the coronavirus, it could shut down for the season,
sources familiar with the conversation told ESPN.

Should another outbreak materialize, Manfred, who has the power to shut down the season,
could move in that direction. Multiple players briefed on the call fear the season could be
shut down as soon as Monday...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2020 10:27 am

Cards-Brewers game postponed after at least four Cardinals have tested positive...
Ragman

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2020 03:01 pm
@Region Philbis,
No one but me (I think) remember That Was the WeekThat Was,a satirical comedic news send-up show that brought us David Frost. However, the connect here is this season of MLB will be The Season That Never Was.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2020 03:24 pm
Red Sox ace Eduardo Rodriguez shut down for the season
Quote:
Red Sox pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez will not pitch this season, Chief Baseball Officer Chaim Bloom announced Saturday.

While Rodriguez hasn’t tested positive for COVID-19 since early July, he said last week that he’s battling myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscle. The team said the condition stemmed from his battle with coronavirus and that the situation hasn’t improved since.
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2020 03:32 pm
@tsarstepan,

yeah, smart move shutting him down...
Ragman

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2020 07:25 pm
@Region Philbis,
Jeez. This is a nightmare. I hope he recovers well. That’s no small thing.
0 Replies

Region Philbis
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2020 05:42 pm

https://i.imgur.com/Gss7Pue.jpg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2020 07:39 am

from today's Globe...

https://i.imgur.com/AVO3PD2.jpg
Ragman

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2020 08:01 am
@Region Philbis,
Is this a case of Closing the barn door after the horses have escaped? How successful can this be? Cardboard cutouts may go on strike. Why didn’t they think doing the bubble wouldn’t work for them? Not enough Profits?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 11:33 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

https://imgur.com/soQv2e6.jpg

I'm really confused. I keep seeing that the Minor League season has been cancelled while subsequently still seeing Minor League teams post live videos of game play and such on Twitter.

I guess with the Pawtucket Red Sox, they're playing themselves? Is that the deal going on with the Minor Leagues?
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 11:57 am
@tsarstepan,

major league teams are using their minor league sites to keep extra players not currently
on the roster in game shape, should they be needed...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2020 07:09 pm

this is getting re-goddamn-diculous in St. Louis...

https://i.imgur.com/wgepsND.jpg
Ragman

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2020 03:49 am
@Region Philbis,
I fear that it’s just a matter of days or a few weeks at best before the MLB season is cancelled. I’m sure there’ll be more teams in this situation (or are there 2 or 3?) now. This is not good!

Having baseball injects normalcy in our culture. Same with NFL. Somehow we all need to get through this safely and sanely.

On a different note, in Sturgis, SD there 200k+ jammed all together and very few are wearing masks. We won’t even comment why the SD governor didn’t force a cancellation. Right now this is huge mess waiting to be unleashed once this motorcycle rally ends if they all aren’t Quarantine them somewhere. It’s a huge state. Spread them out and kepp them there.

Oops, I digress. This is baseball topic. My bad!
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2020 04:24 am
@Ragman,

the Marlins missed eight games, but they are back to playing.

i think the more likely scenario is MLB shuts down the Cards.

there's too much $$ at stake to cancel the whole she-bang...
Ragman

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2020 10:53 am
@Region Philbis,
I hope MLB won't be put in a no-win scenario where they have no choice. How can there be beisbol without the Cards participating.

It's just not in the Cards, so to speak.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2020 11:22 am
@Ragman,

how are they going to squeeze in all those games missed?

there aren't enough off days in the schedule.

a ton of double-headers, maybe.

a schedule maker's nightmare...
Ragman

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2020 12:42 pm
@Region Philbis,
I don’t think they can. Furthermore, we can’t assume that there won’t be another outbreak on a team or teams. Statistical possibilities being what they are.its not like they are adopting a different COVID 19 protocol, right?!
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2020 04:30 am
@Ragman,

MLB adds seven more doubleheaders to Cards schedule

Starting today, the team will try to play 53 games in 44 days...

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2020 07:22 am
Quote:
M.L.B. Set to Hold Postseason at Neutral Sites

Major League Baseball will play most of its postseason at neutral sites for the first time, with the World Series to be held this October at the Texas Rangers’ new ballpark in Arlington, Texas. While the league is still working out details of the plan with the players’ union, the concept and location of postseason bubbles have been decided.

It would become the first stadium to host the entire World Series since 1944, when Sportsman’s Park in St. Louis hosted both the Cardinals and the Browns. The Polo Grounds also hosted both of its tenants — the Yankees and the New York Giants — for each game of the 1921 and 1922 World Series.
(nyt)
0 Replies