What happens Post-Trump; Can we win the peace?

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 11:03 am
I am pretty sure that Donald Trump will lose this election. I could be wrong (I was wrong once before), but for this thread... let's assume I am right and Donald Trump loses this election by a comfortable margin. I also assume that Trump will leave office and any short emotional messiness in the aftermath will end quickly enough.

So that leaves us with a rather weak establishment president with no clear platform and a deeply divided country with anger on both sides.

I want real police reforms and a discussion about racial justice. I don't want an unchecked progressive left looking for unquestioned social change. I believe middle America should have a voice in a screaming match dominated by the two extremes.

My fear is that the two extremes solidify their gains and losses, dig into the new reality and continue this destructive partisanship.

For the country to heal, Biden is going to have to push back on the progressive left. Winning the peace to me means stepping back a bit, listening to the other side, and charting a course forward away from the extremism of the past 4 years.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 2,123 • Replies: 118

maxdancona

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 11:11 am
My question is this...

What do you hope for after Trump loses the election? How does the next president bring the country back together?
izzythepush

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 12:46 pm
Who’s “we” Max? Your white supremacist buddies you’ve been cosying up with of late?

Yes I know you’ve been going through the motions of disagreeing with some of them, but when push comes to shove they all come rushing to your defence.

This isn’t a discussion topic at all. It’s you telling everyone else what they should be thinking. And with your typical narcissistic disingenuity you’re trying to paint yourself as centrist.

All of a sudden the left has become your bogeyman with “extreme demands” of affordable healthcare and fair treatment by the police. I don’t recall you being concerned about Nazis marching on the streets, but the idea of treating people with respect has you shitting your pants.

What you’re pushing is do as little as you can get away with as possible. Say you’ll do something about police reform form a committee or something, kick it into the long grass, and then when it’s time to do something about it hopefully another white supremacist will be in power.

The change you’re suggesting amounts to not grabbing them by the pussy but grabbing them by the tits instead.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 12:52 pm
@izzythepush,
I am talking about "we" as in the American people. You don't really a stake in this Izzy, sorry.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 01:04 pm
Extremism demands an "either-or" mentality. Either you support Black Lives Matter completely, or you support police completely.

Brandon and Oralloy want to tell me that if I support the Black Lives Matter movement, then I am supporting "violence, looting and murder". Izzy want to tell me that if I support the need for police I am supporting "my White Supremacist buddies".

In truth I can do both. I can support the reality of the Black Lives movement, while condemning violence committed by the left, while agreeing that police officers need to feel supported when they do their job professionally. These can all be true.

Healing America after this difficult time is going to mean just that. We need to to find a set of policies that moves us forward while meeting the needs of all parts of the American public.

- I want to see police reforms. Of course, this is ultimately going to be solved in the legislature and local governments. But, I basically agree that police should be demilitarized and that investments in communities outside of law enforcement pay big dividends.

- As we reform the police, people in law enforcement need to be treated fairly. They will be accountable and required to follow procedure and serve their communities (details to be decided in government). Still, someone working as a police officer needs to feel confident they are safe and respected as they do their job professionally.

These two things actually go together... you can't have one without the other. But instead of this discussion, what we get is two camps shouting insults at each other.

I am hoping that after Trump, we can get beyond this. By this I mean that we actually create policy that makes real improvements rather than the angry shouting we see now.
Olivier5

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 01:09 pm
@maxdancona,
If elected president, Biden should try and rebuild the Dem party from the ground up, using some of Obama's and Sanders political organisation skills. Make it a party more strongly in synch with the people. Then take state houses and senate seats away from the lunatics on the right.

Because the lunacy is not over. The republican electorate and politicians are now living on a different planet altogether. Meaning they are vulnerable to a series of fantasy bubble bursts, one citizen at a time.

So, if Biden is elected he needs to build a strong, effective, united party to make more electoral gains. That's one.

Two, demonstrate the effectiveness of government action, eg in healthcare, by adding the public option to Obamacare. Ie Medicare for All Who Want It. If this is done properly, economic theory predicts it should help decrease the cost of healthcare.

The economy needs reinventing. Let's not rebuild it the way it was before Covid.

Ensure police forces respond to certain minimum criteria eg through mandated quotas of blacks/latinos (?), and some federal certification process for all cops (eg law test, behavior test, etc.).
maxdancona

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 01:17 pm
@Olivier5,
I think I am saying is different that what you said, Olivier.

I am arguing for a focus on sound, politically possible policy. This will include a progressive platform, but it will also include pushing back against the far left. And, it will mean passing legislation with bipartisan support.

I don't think the current state of things, where politics is dominated by the extremes shouting at each other, is good for us as a country going forward.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 01:24 pm
@maxdancona,
What piffle. Sanctimonious grandstanding. You’re not fooling anyone Max. There’s no crowd to play to and if I hadn’t dropped by it would have gone the way of most of your threads and remained unanswered.

You don’t invite debate, this isn’t an open ended discussion thread like what should the priorities of a Biden presidency be, and inviting responses. It’s you telling everyone what they should be thinking. And people don’t like it. They don’t like your superior tone and know it all attitude that even extends to telling people how they should address you.

When you’re not telling people how they should behave you’re either playing the Poor Max card, which has just got a thread locked down btw, or you’re doing what you're doing here, trying to position yourself in the centre. Just like your buddy Web, he claims to be centrist too, and you're every bit as centrist as he is.

Your biggest problem isn’t some imaginary in crowd that’s out to get you. It’s because you’re dishonest. You don’t even tell clever lies, ones that can easily be checked up. You lied about Glitterbag following you on A2K when anyone can click on her profile.

It’s the sort of lie a kid would tell. Seriously get a grip.

maxdancona

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 01:27 pm
@izzythepush,
Hi Izzy.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 01:29 pm
@maxdancona,
Reading Trump’s tweets again?

It’s probably for the best, stick to what you know best.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 01:36 pm
@maxdancona,
Bipartisan politics is a pipe dream under the circumstances. Republicans are now certified crazy.
hightor

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 01:38 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
And, it will mean passing legislation with bipartisan support.

That was Obama's plan as well. We know how well it worked out.

I'd be very surprised if any sound, politically possible policies even get drawn up, let alone passed.

We'll likely be in a recession for quite some time. This will involve lots of public spending and little in the way of new revenues. There will be a continued divide between the Koch and Trump factions on one side and the moderate and progressive factions on the other side. The newly empowered progressives won't think twice about sandbagging Biden. If by some chance Dems win the House and Senate in November 2020, if they don't get their act together, they're sure to lose one or both of them in the midterms. Climate change will continue to roil parts of the world causing economic hardship and increased migration — Trump's wall will be tested, for sure. Hell, covid-19 could still be spreading or its successor covid-20.
Quote:
I don't think the current state of things, where politics is dominated by the extremes shouting at each other, is good for us as a country going forward.

It's a little bit better than extremes shooting at each other, though.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 01:53 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Bipartisan politics is a pipe dream under the circumstances. Republicans are now certified crazy.

I am hoping for a political realignment after Trump. I think that there is a space for moderate Republicans to reemerge.

Is is possible that Trump falls hard enough and is disgraced-- and that this provides a space for sane Republicans to reappear? That would be the best case. We are already seeing Republican statesmen and military leaders finding a voice.

izzythepush

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 01:53 pm
@hightor,
The money hasn’t disappeared, it’s in the hands of the rich. It always rushes back there during a recession.

It all about taxing the mega rich, cracking down on their tax havens.

Of course that will never happen. In the meantime any modest attempts to boost the economy could be aimed at everyone, not just white unemployed.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 01:59 pm
@hightor,
You are quite an optimist Hightor!

I think the recession will end fairly quickly (there are already signs). I also think the economic realignment progressives hope for will not materialize. We will go back to a typical period of growth. Izzy is right about money going to the wealthy... that could be something that the Democrats could address.

I also think that there is a fair chance of a true Blue Wave election this year in which the Democrats will win both the House and the Senate. I am not sure if this is a good thing. Maybe divided government would be better for us as a country.

Olivier5

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 02:01 pm
@maxdancona,
Let them feel the pain first. Biden would do well to make room for your hoped-for new bread of republicans, by decimating the old bread.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 02:49 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I think the recession will end fairly quickly (there are already signs).

Could be. But that's not what J. Powell thinks. What signs have you noticed, max?

I'm very concerned about a big increase in the homeless population. Many renters won't be able to make their rent payments and a significant number of landlords won't be able to make their mortgage payments.

I'm also concerned about municipal and state workers as states are forced to cut their budgets.

These wouldn't be concerns in other countries — Germany, for instance — but in the good old USA, home of the rugged individual, people are left to fend for themselves. It's their fault for not saving, etc.

maxdancona

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 02:54 pm
@hightor,
When we talk about recession, we should probably specify what that means. Are we talking about the economy in general, or just specific parts of the economy.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 06:31 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I also think that there is a fair chance of a true Blue Wave election this year in which the Democrats will win both the House and the Senate. I am not sure if this is a good thing. Maybe divided government would be better for us as a country.

That is another one of my concerns: executive and both houses of congress being of the same party. Good grief, they might actually get something.
farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 06:45 pm
@roger,
theres a numbr of Trumpp's exec orders that hes done and probably a few "exit exec orders" that will need redacting . I feel there will be some USSC decisions that could be based on the power of the presidency in general. exec orders included.

I think Trump will be prosecuted in the NY District. There are actuall civil suits in the wings and some felony cases, like fraud, mail fraud, and self dealing while president. Also, I dont think his presidential misdemeanors in judgement will be dismissed . Unlike Hillary, theres substantial evidence against him already.

He needs to stand as a bad example and even a joke of history.

1. Forums
  2. » What happens Post-Trump; Can we win the peace?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 08:47:35