What happens Post-Trump; Can we win the peace?

Olivier5

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 03:18 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Have you proposed "the Abomination" as an entry in bobsal's thread on nicknames for Trump?
Olivier5

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 03:20 pm
@maxdancona,
How do you feel now about that bout of Hillary hatred? Better? Able to put things in some perspective perhaps?
maxdancona

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 03:24 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

How do you feel now about that bout of Hillary hatred? Better? Able to put things in some perspective perhaps?

I don't know exactly what you are asking, in hindsight I still think it was justified.

She is the only person in history to have lost a general election to Donald Trump. She was an awful candidate who never should have been jammed down our throats.

I say that as someone who voted for her.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 03:37 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
She is the only person in history to have lost a general election to Trump.

That is the kind of absurdity that makes taking you seriously on anything, tough.

First, she was not the only person . There were other candidates on the ballot. Third party candidates; yet, they were there and also lost!

Second, it was the first time Trump ever participated in a general election. If Clinton (or anybody) had won, would you then say they were the only person who ever bested Trump in a general election?

0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 03:59 pm
@maxdancona,
Just because she was no very good qs a candidate, doesn't mean one needs to hate her.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 04:17 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Just because she was no very good qs a candidate, doesn't mean one needs to hate her.

Who we hate is subjective. I voted for her anyway.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 04:24 pm
@maxdancona,
And largely irrational. The problem with that is that it makes hatred easy to manipulate. A relentless stream of negative press coverage, injected in the media long enough, will make you hate anybody. It's a neat trick.

I know you voted for her and that's fair and nice. Just saying: beware not to hate a convenient skapegoat.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 10:14 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
It’s hard to think of anyone worse than Trump.

AOC scares a lot of grown up men, apparently...

Constitutionally, she's too young to even run for the Presidency, and currently she is on her first term of a two year stint as Congresswoman for an area in New York. She's up for re-election in Nov 2020. She gets a lot of attention because she's fiery and I think Republicans would like to paint her as the poster child of crazed Democrats who are anxious to destroy the country.

Maybe those men aren't all as grown up as they think they are.

Olivier5

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 12:39 am
@glitterbag,
How can one be equally afraid of AOC and Trump remains a mystery to me.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 12:59 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
A relentless stream of negative press coverage, injected in the media long enough, will make you hate anybody. It's a neat trick.

Come to think of it, that’s probably what happened to Sanders, too. The intensity of some centrists’s hatred for him is just not logical. It makes no sense, and when you ask them about it, they find themselves unable to explain it... They must have been groomed (by MSNBC, WaPo and co) to hate him, like FOX News groomed others to hate Hillary Clinton.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 01:17 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Have you proposed "the Abomination" as an entry in bobsal's thread on nicknames for Trump?

That thread was started by Real Music..........and I doubt Frank is interested in nicknames....just my humble opinion.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 01:22 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
A relentless stream of negative press coverage, injected in the media long enough, will make you hate anybody. It's a neat trick.

Come to think of it, that’s probably what happened to Sanders, too. The intensity of some centrists’s hatred for him is just not logical. It makes no sense, and when you ask them about it, they find themselves unable to explain it... They must have been groomed (by MSNBC, WaPo and co) to hate him, like FOX News groomed others to hate Hillary Clinton.

Perhaps, but Bernie has been a Senator for a long time and does not belong to the Democrat party.....the people who you think are Centrists may not have believed Bernie could win.....I love Bernie but he doesn't play well with others and doesn't really know how to build a consensus. I doubt anyone hates Bernie.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 01:22 am
@glitterbag,
Apologies to RM.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 02:29 am
@glitterbag,
I believe the term “centrist” is appropriate, but could settle for any term that’s equally precise. Tony Blair called it the “third way”. From wiki:

Quote:
The Third Way is a political philosophy and political position akin to centrism that attempts to reconcile right-wing and left-wing politics by advocating a varying synthesis of centre-right and centrist economic platforms with some centre-left social policies.

I believe that the Third Way has lost its way, that while Tony Blair and Bill Clinton (and nearest to me Macron) have tried to maintain a centrist position, they in fact veered right, influenced by the “forces of money” that are so much more powerful than the people. To stay on the “Third Way”, you need to be prepared to turn left once in a while, to compensate for this natural tendency of centrists to veer right.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 04:13 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
The intensity of some centrists’s hatred for him is just not logical. It makes no sense, and when you ask them about it, they find themselves unable to explain it...

We discussed this before, but I really didn't see any of this hatred for Sanders you mention. Yes, a majority of voters in the Democratic primaries voted for other candidates but that doesn't translate into hatred. The press coverage of him wasn't particularly hostile either. In fact, the biggest complaint from the Sanders people was that the media wasn't giving him enough coverage so it's difficult to see how they "groomed" voters to hate the guy by not mentioning him.

He was easy to caricature, a lot of people had a difficult time seeing him on the world stage as the president of the USA, and legitimate questions were raised as to whether he could win or whether he could bring a Democratic House and Senate in with him, but again I saw no overt hatred for him.

(Interestingly, in the past few months conditions in this country have changed and his candidacy might have been given a boost if everything that's happened had taken place a few months earlier. And, as I predicted, the Iowa caucuses — touted as a "debacle" — are no longer even mentioned.)
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 05:42 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

No...thought it not clever enough.

In another forum where I post, I never refer to him in any other way.

If ever there truly was a breathing abomination of a human...Trump is that person!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 05:53 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Good question. I've asked it of MANY people...and never got an answer I thought to be real.

Gallup showed her voted "World's most admired women" more times than any woman since the rankings started. (From Wikipedia) She ranked first 22 times out of 25 during the years 1993–2017, including 16 in a row from 2002–2017. Then, lost the 2916 election...although she won the popular vote by almost 3,000,000 votes.

That hatred will remain one of the great mysteries of my lifetime when I shed this mortal coil.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 06:01 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:

Ummm...I do not see a great deal of hatred for Sanders as a person at all. Many centrists I know actually like him and like the ideas he champions...but just feel he was wrong for the head of the ticket. He seemed to me to be the Barry Goldwater of the left. The right wanted someone like Goldwater to lead their ticket...and got cremated. I feel that is what would have happened with Sanders for the left. The Sanders people who helped hold down the vote for Hillary Clinton can all go to Hell as far as I am concerned, but I doubt that truly impacted on the Electoral College vote.

The Electoral College vote seems destined always to be skewed to the conservative side, despite what the moron-in-chief suggested early in his administration. Jesus H. Christ, that man is so stupid, even stupid people consider it an insult to themselves when he is charged with stupidity.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 06:01 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
The fact that the radical left is so ugly is the reason that lots of people in the middle voted for Trump.

I don't think so. Hillary was the left's candidate and she is not radical at all...

She’s a Republican—just like Biden. And all of the people on this thread.
These lukewarm incrementalists are responsible for the racial situation and the policing situation and the healthcare situation.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 06:02 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Olivier5 wrote:

That thread was started by Real Music..........and I doubt Frank is interested in nicknames....just my humble opinion.

I'm not...although I always refer to him as The Abomination in my other forum. The moron-in-chief I use occasionally also. But that is thanks to Rex Tillerson's evaluation of Trump.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 01:25:55