getting from to friends to strangers to friends to romance?

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 01:25 am
Hello, everyone. I've been lurking on these boards for awhile now and hope that this forum might work out as a home for me; you guys are great. I feel a little selfish having one of my first posts be my own story but I promise that I will be a contributor those people to whom I feel that I may have something to offer.

In my sophomore year of college, I met an incredible woman. We both were involved in the music program and were just casual aquaintances. One day in my junior year (her sophomore), after a year of just "hi there" and "hello," she noticed me having a rough day and in distress; a few days later, she emailed me offering her comforts. I emailed back, and a deep friendship was formed. I respect her kindness, compassion, thoughtfulness, intelligence, and talent; I had told her this and she has said similar thoughts to me.

After our friendship really blossomed, I found out that she was engaged. It was a foolish thing not to know, but I was a little inexperienced with women at the time (since that day I stare at the fingers of every woman I meet!). I was really devastated. Our friendship continued, but through the year I found myself falling for her more deeply with each day that passed. I don't know if she felt that way about me or if she knew I felt that way about her. I certainly have never said anything to that effect; probably the most I've said in that direction was "I think of you often." Did she know how I felt about her?

Anyhow, I knew that I shouldn't develop these feelings for an engaged woman, so I decided to stop all of my communication with her. I no longer wrote, called, or stopped by; it was agonizing, and while during our friendship our communications were mutual, I found that as I stopped, she made no effort either.

I rarely saw her during my final year at the university; I graduated, worked for two years, and then decided to begin graduate school full time, all without seeing or hearing of her, but I thought about her nearly every day. About a month into grad school, I couldn't bear it anymore and emailed her, after three years; someone I knew was a married woman by now, but I hoped that reaching out to her would bring closure so that I could finally move on with all my heart. I didn't expect a reply.

She did reply, and in this message she told me that she never did marry her then-fiance; they had broken up after graduation. Though unrelated to this news, she also mentioned that she had sent me some well wishes a while back to one of my old email accounts which I had not checked for years. As we came into contact again, I couldn't bring myself to tell her that I wanted to pursue a relationship with her; I had just spent three years of my life trying to get over a potential wonderful relationship that never had a chance, and contacting her was my final step in getting over it...I know she's single now, but I had spent so long brainwashing myself into seeing her as unavailable that it feels strange to know that she is no longer so; I haven't grasped this yet.

After our initial contact, we have exchanged emails about once every month or two, and we met in town over christmas. We currently live about a two hour drive apart. I'm crazy about her, but I don't want to mess up a beautiful, though somewhat infrequent, friendship. I'm afraid that if I tell her about my romantic feelings, she might turn away. I did a relationship no-no: during our friendship that year in college, she learned just about everything about me, the good, the bad, etc. I often wish that I hadn't bared my soul to her the way I did.

Does she see that I have fallen for her? Would she be receptive to me knowing me the way she does? Would I wreck our friendship by expressing romantic interest? I think about these things alot. I wonder if I can handle just having her as a friend who will be constantly drifting in and out of my life.

If you read all this, you have my sincere thanks.

I feel a little better just getting it out there.

-m
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 689 • Replies: 3
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 08:30 am
If she's single, I don't think you have to worry about too much. I can't tell from your account whether she is interested in you or not -- it sounds like it is a real possibility.

I think what I'd suggest is when you get together with her next, broach the subject in a general way. Something about how you felt about her then, maybe... leave things a little open ended, see how she reacts. Sometimes an outright declaration of attraction can kill a friendship if it's not mutual, it's true, but there are ways to handle it where there is some question left, if the response you're getting to the earliest overtures are not encouraging.

Don't worry in the least about baring your soul to her -- why would you? You know that there was nothing bad enough to cause her to stop being your friend, and it just means that you have a head start if you do become romantically involved. It's kind of the best of both worlds because she knows a ton about you already, but since it's three years ago you have plausible deniability. ;-) ("I've matured since then!")

My main caution is that three years of being crazy about a person who is not actually in your life is a recipe for creating an idealized creature who the real person may not live up to.

Good luck.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 05:24 pm
..oh for gods sake, just tell her or you will miss out again!
she wont stay available forever ..while you dilly dally with the 'Should I or should I not'.....tell her and put yourself out of this misery.
Its obvious you are head over heels in love with this woman, so stop stuffing around and get busy!
0 Replies

subtleone

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 12:40 am
thank you
Thanks for your well-thought-out as well as knee-jerk feedback. I appreciate it.
0 Replies