True?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,357 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:31 pm
Ma Chao was a member of Ma Teng's clan, no?

Huang Zhou? I'm not good on the names--was a different warrior, no?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:37 pm
You left out Lu Bu, that's a major omission . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:42 pm
I just checked it out to be sure, and after Dong Zhuo was driven from Luoyang to Chang'an, his foster son, Lü Bu, murdered him. Lü Bu was i believe, considered the greatest warrior of his age, which corresponds to the fall of the Later Han, at the very beginning of the Three Kingdoms period.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 10:42 pm
Setanta wrote:
Ma Chao was a member of Ma Teng's clan, no?

Huang Zhou? I'm not good on the names--was a different warrior, no?

Ma Chao member of Ma Teng, yes.... I was told that Cao Cao murdered Chao's father so Chao joined Liu Bei to avenge his father.

Huang Zhou/Zhong was also part of a different clan... and it was possible that he some how winded up under the rule of Liu Bei.

Lu Bu... yes true I believe he was the most powerful warrior during that era.

He was his own ruler and I don't believe he ever served under Liu Bei.
Yes, I guess that would explain how Lu Bu became independent.

I know Zhang Fei, Zhao Yun and Guan Yu were "sworn brothers." The others are a little iffy to me since they were in different clans.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 01:28 pm
Five warriors of Kingdom Shu (with Liu Bei as the monarch) are these five:

Guan Yu
Zhuang Fei
Huang Zhong
Mao Chao
Zhao Yun

Guan and Zhuang are "brothers" of Liu, Huang and Mao are both generals who surrendered to Liu.

About Zhao, really a great case with fantastic action details. He is a figure really worth reading.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 01:38 pm
I think when we talk about "five warriors", we are just talking about five great military generals of Liu's side.
(another inferior version about five warriors of Cao's side)

So, Lu Bu is out. he was a special case. Didn't belong to any of the three kingdoms even though he once succumed to liu for a short time (later betrayed him, indeed at that time Liu didn't have a "kingdom" yet)

In confusianial culture people tend to praise the loyalty of Liu and the hypocrisy of Cao. So they made that list.
But nowadays, especially in the market economy, more and more people adored Cao's way of dealing with things, with pragmatics and efficiency. So, another version was born.
This is my own opinion.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 01:59 pm
Yeah I heard that Liu was good and Cao was evil....

I guess that's too general of a statement then.

What do you mean by the pragmatics of the way Cao dealt with things?
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 06:51 pm
In Pinyin, it should be:

Guan Yu
Zhang Fei
Zhao Yun
Ma Chao
Huang Zhong

And is called Guan, Zhang, Zhao, Ma, Huang in general.

What you said about Ma Chao is right.

And Huang Zhong is surrendered from the Liu Zhang's Clan, whose territory is Yizhou.

And Huang Zhong's archery skill is very good. Guan Yu fight with him, Guan pretends to be defeated, Huang chases after him. Guan use a plot known as "TuodaoJi". When Huang's horse collaped( is that word right? I'm not sure. The horse lie on the ground) Guan never kills a general when he is not able to fight. So he released him.

And the second day, Huang Zhong pretends to be defeated, and Guan chases after him. Huang pluck his bow two times to warn Guan, but Guan misunderstands, he thinks Huang doesn't know archery. So he contines to chase. And Huang really shoots. The arrow hit Guan's hat.

When Guan returns the his camp, he knows from others that Huang has the ability to shoot him. But doesn't.

When Huang returns his castle, he is considered by his master Han Xuan to be a spy and orders to kill him. Wei Yan saves him. And they both surrenders to Liu Bei.

Lu(I can't type this correctly) Bu? Yes, he is the most powerful. But he surrenders each time. And he murders his two foster fathers, so who dares to use him again?

I'm not good at English, so some words maybe not accurate. Sorry.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 01:08 pm
translatorcz wrote:
In Pinyin, it should be:

Guan Yu
Zhang Fei
Zhao Yun
Ma Chao
Huang Zhong

And is called Guan, Zhang, Zhao, Ma, Huang in general.

What you said about Ma Chao is right.

And Huang Zhong is surrendered from the Liu Zhang's Clan, whose territory is Yizhou.

And Huang Zhong's archery skill is very good. Guan Yu fight with him, Guan pretends to be defeated, Huang chases after him. Guan use a plot known as "TuodaoJi". When Huang's horse collaped( is that word right? I'm not sure. The horse lie on the ground) Guan never kills a general when he is not able to fight. So he released him.

And the second day, Huang Zhong pretends to be defeated, and Guan chases after him. Huang pluck his bow two times to warn Guan, but Guan misunderstands, he thinks Huang doesn't know archery. So he contines to chase. And Huang really shoots. The arrow hit Guan's hat.

When Guan returns the his camp, he knows from others that Huang has the ability to shoot him. But doesn't.

When Huang returns his castle, he is considered by his master Han Xuan to be a spy and orders to kill him. Wei Yan saves him. And they both surrenders to Liu Bei.

Lu(I can't type this correctly) Bu? Yes, he is the most powerful. But he surrenders each time. And he murders his two foster fathers, so who dares to use him again?

I'm not good at English, so some words maybe not accurate. Sorry.

Oh, okay that's cool I didn't know that the generals were listed in any particular order. I'm not too familiar with the specifics of the history I just know the jitz of it. Pretty good stuff, thanks translator.
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:02 pm
It may not necessarily be an order of martial arts ability. But we do refer to them as this.(Guan, Zhang, Zhao, Ma, Huang) I'm glad if I could help.
0 Replies