Psychology and Emotion?

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 03:07 pm
Do they (subject) correlate with one another?

I noticed this thread 99.999% of it is based on marriage issues. So I was just wondering are there any professionals who deal with the area of emotions and psychology (mostly emotionally disfunctional problems)?

It doesn't have to be professionals heck if you can convey your opinions under this "subject" please be my guest.

Hmmmm...

I just need input on how to "develop the skills" on not to take things personally (or "taking it to heart").
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 652 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:12 am
An emotion is visceral reaction to a stimulus. A particular emotion is based on what a person has thought about the type of situation. For instance, take an automobile accident. A number of people have gathered around a collision, where people have been killed.

One person feels faint. Another can't take his eyes off the accident. He looked at it with morbid fascination. Another feels like he is going to throw up. Yet another becomes energized in finding a way that he can be helpful in this situation.

So the stimulus is the same, but the reactions of each person is different, based on his perceptions, and thoughts about these sorts of situations.

Rational emotive therapy challenges negative, dysfunctional emotions, and enables people to change their way of thinking that will become more productive.

Here is a nice explanation:

Quote:
Challenging irrational ideas (Rational-Emotive therapy)
Our thoughts influence our feelings. If you think people won't like you, you feel disappointed and withdraw socially. If you think nothing will work out well for you, you feel sad or passive and won't try. If you think you must have help to do something, you may feel inadequate and be dependent. If you think you are stupid and incompetent, you may feel worthless and be indecisive and self-critical. No doubt there are connections between thoughts and feelings and/or actions.

Rational-Emotional therapy is built on the belief that how we emotionally respond at any moment depends on our interpretations--our views, our beliefs, our thoughts--of the situation. In other words, the things we think and say to ourselves, not what actually happens to us, cause our positive or negative emotions. Thus, as Albert Ellis (1987) would say, "Humans largely disturb themselves... your own unreasonable, irrational ideas make you severely anxious, depressed, self-hating, enraged, and self-pitying about virtually anything--yes, virtually anything." This is a very old idea.

http://mentalhelp.net/psyhelp/chap14/chap14g.htm
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:59 pm
Thanks Phoenix, a flawless explanation towards how I feel.....

Yeah the only bad thing about it is that I need online mentalhelp (from the URL you gave me). No, I don't mean that literally, and thanks for your help.
0 Replies