Defense Secretary Mark Esper Publicly Opposes Use of Troops on Protesters

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 02:06 pm
Wow. This is pretty much a resignation letter in this administration and I think Esper knows it, but I think his reasoning is pretty much right on the money.

Quote:
Defense Secretary Mark Esper declared on Wednesday his opposition to sending active-duty troops into U.S. cities to deal with violent protesters, two days after President Donald Trump threatened to do so if governors don't call up National Guard troops.

White House officials are unhappy with Esper's comments to reporters, a White House aide and two people close to the White House tell POLITICO.

Sec Defense Mark Esper wrote:
"The option to use active-duty forces in a law enforcement role should only be used as a matter of last resort and only in the most urgent and dire situations. We are not in one of those situations right now," Esper said Wednesday in his first public comments since the protests erupted.

"I do not support invoking the Insurrection Act," Esper said, referring to the president's authority to deploy active-duty troops to respond to protests.

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 02:18 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Wow. This is pretty much a resignation letter in this administration and I think Esper knows it, but I think his reasoning is pretty much right on the money.

Quote:
Defense Secretary Mark Esper declared on Wednesday his opposition to sending active-duty troops into U.S. cities to deal with violent protesters, two days after President Donald Trump threatened to do so if governors don't call up National Guard troops.

White House officials are unhappy with Esper's comments to reporters, a White House aide and two people close to the White House tell POLITICO.

Not sure why he did it, but I am happy that he did it. And I wish him well in his job search.

Sec Defense Mark Esper wrote:
"The option to use active-duty forces in a law enforcement role should only be used as a matter of last resort and only in the most urgent and dire situations. We are not in one of those situations right now," Esper said Wednesday in his first public comments since the protests erupted.

"I do not support invoking the Insurrection Act," Esper said, referring to the president's authority to deploy active-duty troops to respond to protests.

engineer

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 02:23 pm
Senator Romney has come out in support of Esper; he is definitely a goner now.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 04:22 pm
@Frank Apisa,
would hope the JC'soS would have the backbones to follow Esper and refuse his "orders". They would all go down in righteous flames like Douglas MacArthur. I see a whole lotta books coming out because a firing by a president does not remove your pension unless you are convicted of a felony.

I wonder when the GOP will regain it group backbone?? Surely theyve gotta feel that this clown has usurped the means to destroy our democratic republic.

RABEL222

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 04:38 pm
@farmerman,
One good aspect of Trumps election is the on going destruction of the republican party.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 04:56 pm
2 days ago

https://www.businessinsider.com/esper-pushes-states-to-dominate-the-battlespace-to-end-unrest-2020-6

what's going on there?
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 05:00 pm
@ehBeth,

mebbe his better half read him the riot act...
ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 05:03 pm
@Region Philbis,
Interesting chappie. Heritage Foundation guy who has no issue with trans folx serving in military.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 06:10 am
Former Defense Secretary Mattis speaks out.

Quote:
Retired Marine Gen. Jim Mattis, who resigned as President Trump's defense secretary nearly a year-and-a-half ago over policy differences, has issued an extraordinary critique of the White House's handling of nationwide unrest, saying Trump has sought to divide Americans, and warning against "militarizing our response" to the protests.

"When I joined the military, some 50 years ago, I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution," Mattis said in a statement published in The Atlantic.

"Never did I dream that troops taking that same oath would be ordered under any circumstance to violate the Constitutional rights of their fellow citizens—much less to provide a bizarre photo op for the elected commander-in-chief, with military leadership standing alongside," Mattis wrote, referring to a series of events on Monday in which peaceful protesters were cleared from around the White House to make way for an impromptu appearance by the president, Bible in hand, outside a historic church.

Quote:
"We must reject any thinking of our cities as a 'battlespace' that our uniformed military is called upon to 'dominate,' " Mattis wrote. "At home, we should use our military only when requested to do so, on very rare occasions, by state governors."
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 07:22 am
I agree that regular soldiers should not be used.

But Mr. Trump should absolutely take control of the National Guard and order them to put an immediate end to the looting and burning.
engineer

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 08:54 am
@oralloy,
The national guard reports to the governors or territorial representatives. The President only has authority over the Guard in Washington DC.
oralloy

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 08:55 am
@engineer,
That is incorrect. The President has the authority to take control of the National Guard.
farmerman

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 10:00 am
@oralloy,
Only with the full agreements of the governors involved. THEN , the US govt foots the entire bill from pre-activation to stand down. Only done twice in my lifetime and both were cluster fucks.

I used to train (sapper) teams on chemically breaking up TNT, dynamite, RDX etc IEDs, and many of my guys at Belvoir were pre training for possible assignment. They were always more lerted by "crazy governors" than what we have now ,which is a "wacked out President"
Ya think hes on drugs?? or is his irascibility just the onset of Alzheimers??

Lets see what pans out bfore you start taking book
farmerman

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 10:02 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
When you start looting, we start shooting.

He always prove my point, when you talk like that, youre not operating at anything higher than low normal intellect.

The ppresident is supposed to bring peace using peaceful mean. Not stoking up the fire to give massive erections to his moronic "base"
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 10:08 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

would hope the JC'soS would have the backbones to follow Esper and refuse his "orders". They would all go down in righteous flames like Douglas MacArthur. I see a whole lotta books coming out because a firing by a president does not remove your pension unless you are convicted of a felony.

I wonder when the GOP will regain it group backbone?? Surely theyve gotta feel that this clown has usurped the means to destroy our democratic republic.

I worry about the military refusing orders of the Commander in Chief, even if the guy is actually the Buffoon in Chief.

If Trump manages to get the military refusing to follow instructions...he may well be carrying out his mission to fatally fracture the Republic.

I think the biggest wigs in the GOP are well beyond growing any spine or backbone, Farmer. They've sold their souls to this miscreant.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 10:10 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

One good aspect of Trumps election is the on going destruction of the republican party.

Yeah. Unfortunately it is being accompanied by the on-going destruction of the Republic.

Trump may well go down in history as the worst thing ever to happen to America.
farmerman

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 10:13 am
@Frank Apisa,
next to the Confederacy, the Civil War and REconstruction. All part of one picnic). Trump is acting more like Il Duce.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 10:15 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Only with the full agreements of the governors involved.

That is incorrect. Agreement is not required.
neptuneblue

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 10:27 am
@oralloy,
State your source.
farmerman

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2020 10:33 am
@neptuneblue,
The reason governors want to have certain areas in their states as "Disaster areas" is so the US govt picks up the tab , When Eisenhower used the State Guard to help desegregate Arkansas it was because ARkansas' governor wanted to KEEP segregation as the law of his state.Ike was dealing with a felonious act of civil rights abuse. Trump has no basis to eclare anything as a "national Emergencey" I think thatd wake up a sleeping giant.

We are NOT in such a national emergency."Mattis had said as much in his note separating his views from TRUMP's. Ollie's just continually politicizing this and that. Barr had already shown us what that fat ass is made of when Plump wanted his photo op by tear gassing and rubber bulleting peaceful protesters on Lafayette Park. Theres a photo op of il Duce.

PS, since the governor has already called out the guard to act as "Blue Helmets" , Trump really has no business butting in to a clearly state issue.

The real "experts" have almost universally stated such.
Were not being attacked by Canada or nobody has asked for disaster area designation.
Trump can just keep playing with himself.
0 Replies