What exactly is a "Benchmark"?

Noddy24

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 01:18 pm
I'm lazy today--my personal Independence Day celebration.

Can anyone tell me--with or without the aid of a dictionary--what a "Benchmark" is?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,638 • Replies: 57
No top replies

Letty

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 01:24 pm
Noddy, I always thought it to be the perfect prototype--state of the art--as the water mark in to fine paper.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 01:25 pm
er, make that "is". I'm lazy as well.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 01:26 pm
To my knowledge, when a surveyor had determined the exact position and elevation of any particular point, that point may be used thereafter as a bench mark from which to determine the position and elevation of any other point.

Were the surveyor to stand on a certain stone at the top of a hill, and using a theodolite and an accurate clock, determine the lattitude and longitude of the position to within a certain tolerance, and then accurately determine the elevation above mean sea level, that stone could be used thereafter in sitings as a bench mark from which to determine the position of any other point within site of that stone.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 01:27 pm
Well, I know a 'bench mark', which is a surveyor's mark (which I know from the term "tidal bench mark").
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 01:31 pm
I found 57 BENCH, Mark, in the United States...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 01:35 pm
I rercall seeing benchmarks when, as a kid wandering through the mountains of Virginia, I would stumble upon one. It would be a post, a short post, and it would as I recall have the elevation and perhaps, me thinks, the latitude and longitude for that place. I'm not sure why anyone would care. But there it was.

(edit: setenta is quick and accurate)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 01:36 pm
a bench mark is a surveyed
"standard reference point" that is is placed every few thousand square meters around the Us and other countries. Its a concrete monument with a bronze shield that contains a point which has an ascendent order of accuracy based on the agency surveying. Today we use them to correct GPS readings by stationing a transmitter on the benchmark and then correcting the readings we get from the satellites by differential correction. Similar to WAAS except more accurate. BAck in the day when all they had were EDMs and transits , you always needed a benchmark toaccurately "tie" your survey to the real world.
BFD

For english usage,Its the standard reference to which we compare other similar things."The benchmark for lathes is the Conover brand" sez I
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 01:37 pm
yeh, it was my favorite Bourbon when I drank Bourbon. Itd make a julep thatd make you cry
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 01:38 pm
how about a landmark of jurisprudence.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 02:00 pm
Many thanks, all. The surveying angle would account for the authority I associate with a "benchmark".

But why a "bench"?

Does "bench" mean something besides a seat without a back?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 02:05 pm
It's a "level elevation of land along a shore or coast, especially one marking a former shoreline".

(And it' a thwart in a boat.)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 02:07 pm
bench
O.E. benc "long seat," from P.Gmc. *bankiz (cf. Da. bænk, M.Du. banc, O.H.G. banch). Used for "office of a judge" since 1292. Sporting sense (in baseball, N.Amer. football, etc.) is from 1912; the verb meaning "to take out of the game" is from 1917. Hence, also, bench-warmer (1892). Benchmark "surveyor's point of reference" is from 1842; fig. sense is from 1884.
"The days for 'bench-warmers' with salaries are also past." ["New York Sporting News," Jan. 9, 1892]

Farmer, what does Grant know about Southern drinks.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 02:29 pm
p.s. Noddy. Park benches have backs.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 02:43 pm
I suspect them ol' boys back in the day, hot and tired from traipsin' aroun' and gettin' everything just so, hadda have a bit of a sit down, so they put up a rude bench on which to relax before foldin' up that damned heavy theodolite and traipsin' off again . . .
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 02:52 pm
Laughing okay, okay. Setanta. I yield!
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 03:22 pm
Luscious Lips Letty,

You never say that to me...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 03:30 pm
Well, Mathos, if you'd quit flirting with that Brit, I might just sit on a bench in the park with you some delightful night.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 03:35 pm
Letty--

Many thanks. English teachers are the best people.

Odd, isn't it that surveyors would think of a long, level line as a bench rather than as a table?

Park benches are creations of an effete age. The original benches were backless--probably logs that you had to fell yourself with your bare hands and burnished bodkins.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 03:41 pm
Right, Noddy. and of course there are the cobbler's benches.
0 Replies