Afghanistan - are we safer?

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 10:29 am
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/04/international/asia/04afghan.html?th&emc=th

Check out the above article. Here are some excerpts:

"Taliban members have joined forces with insurgents loyal to other anti-American commanders and with members of Al Qaeda, and have redoubled their efforts in recent months to attack Americans and government forces in Afghanistan, according to an assessment by the Afghan defense minister, Gen. Abdur Rahim Wardak.

In a telephone interview on Sunday, General Wardak said the sudden growth of the insurgency since the snow melted and the mountain passes opened had been greater than the traditional spring increase.

"Based on intelligence, there is a regrouping of Al Qaeda, and it seems they are going to pay more attention to Afghanistan," he said. "We are running into more foreign fighters here and there."

Afghan and American forces have picked up foreign fighters and foreigners who were involved in attacks or have admitted to plotting them. Most of them have been Pakistanis, but there have also been Arabs, possibly including two dead suicide bombers, and fighters from former Soviet republics.

Insurgents appear to have more money, better weapons and more advanced technology this year, he said, including remote-controlled bombs, high explosives, and possibly even shoulder-held antiaircraft missiles, one of which may have been used against the helicopter that crashed Tuesday, General Wardak said."

My thoughts:

1) Seals are still the baddest asses around. (Did you know most of them are Marines - Semper Fi you swabbies. Wink )

2) I thought we had this sewed up?
3) Where is all the money coming from?
4) Where are the 'final throughs' that Cheney mentioned?
5) Why a counter build?
6) Will we ever get the hell out of there?

Just thoughts...

TTF
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 561 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 06:04 pm
Well I will let you know how things are over there after the begining of the next year. I will be one of those people who are dropping our troops in the mountains to hunt for these people.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 07:30 pm
Keep you ass low and your powder dry.

TF
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 07:34 pm
thethinkfactory wrote:
Keep you ass low and your powder dry.

TF

Hard to keep my ass low when I have to look out for those guys shooting RPG's at my Chinook. If they do I have to shoot back at them before they get a chance to fire. Work to do, no time to keep low.
0 Replies