TD Bank

gollum

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 06:32 pm
I often see a TV commercial for TD Bank showing an employee dancing around the bank branch and around his home.

What is the point of that commercial?

jespah

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 06:33 pm
@gollum,
The point of every single commercial since the beginning of time is to get you to buy something.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 06:36 pm
@gollum,
what is TD Bank?? Is it like Joseph A Banks?
Sturgis

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 09:47 pm
@farmerman,
Nothing as enjoyable as the Joe Banks stores. No nice sweaters or shirts or those horrid things known as neckties.
TD Bank is filled with happy folks who might work there. It's a bank of some sort and in some way a subsidiary of a Canadian bank - their name comes from Toronto Dominion.. They used to have coin counting machines that spit out a receipt which was taken to a teller who gave you cash. The machines disappeared, as it seems they were at times not counting all the coins.

I have never been in a TD Bank, however I did get my paws on a few cheap plastic TD Bank pens. Cannot recall when, where or how. They dispensed black ink. Good thing too, because blue ink hurts my eyes. (To look at it, that is)

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 04:10 am
They're open on weekends.
gollum

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 04:26 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis-

Thank you

The bank was sued in 2016 for allegations that their coin counting machines, "Penny Arcades," were inaccurately counting coins. The lawsuit estimates that 26 cents out of every $100 was not counted, totaling to $9 million.

In the commercial, an African American man was dancing in a way that I thought might be considered racist.
farmerman

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 05:14 am
@gollum,
I have several cooki jars full of coins of the realm. I would love to cash em in without having to wrap em. I bought a pwered coin counter and wrapper machine and it just crapped out after a week or so.
I have a supermarket chain that extorts a10 per cent fee, and you hve to stand around like some street person in front of the machine shoving coinage down som rathole and hoping that at least the count is honst. I dont know.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 05:52 am
@farmerman,
While TD had the machines, people could wander in and pour the coins in all on their own. From what I heard, there wasn't a Greed Fee either.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 08:10 am
TD stands for Toronto Dominion, although the bank no longer uses that moniker--now it's just TD Bank. When that disgusting capitalist scam of sub-prime mortgage paper collapsed in 2007, the banks in Canada didn't suffer much because they've always been very conservative investors. Nevertheless, the top execs at the Canadian banks voluntarily took no bonuses that year, because they couldn't produce the dividend that share-holders would normally have gotten. TD Bank is expanding into the United States because they are financially sound and can compete against American banking enterprises.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 09:33 am
@Brandon9000,
aren't all banks?
Linkat

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 09:47 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I have several cooki jars full of coins of the realm. I would love to cash em in without having to wrap em. I bought a pwered coin counter and wrapper machine and it just crapped out after a week or so.
I have a supermarket chain that extorts a10 per cent fee, and you hve to stand around like some street person in front of the machine shoving coinage down som rathole and hoping that at least the count is honst. I dont know.

Check with your bank. Some banks (or certain branches of these banks) have coin counting machines and if you have an account with them you can use it free of charge. I know the one we use has them at certain branches - you can use it if you do not have an account for a fee - not sure what that fee is.
farmerman

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 09:50 am
@Linkat,
none of the banks we use have change counters anymore . They all want us to wrap the coins and bring em in.
Linkat

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 10:09 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

none of the banks we use have change counters anymore . They all want us to wrap the coins and bring em in.

That;s why I like the small local banks they still offer stuff like that - well probably not right now - but prior covid, but you could check some small local ones and see what the charge is.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 10:14 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Some banks (or certain branches of these banks) have coin counting machines and if you have an account with them you can use it free of charge. I know the one we use has them at certain branches - you can use it if you do not have an account for a fee - not sure what that fee is.

pre-covid , one of the most common questions in our neighbourhood group was where are the coin machines!?!?!?!?! I found it was just best to ask a panhandler -they knew, even though they usually rolled their own
Linkat

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 10:26 am
@ehBeth,
I just put this in google:

"which banks have coin counting machines near me"

and they popped up!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 11:02 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

aren't all banks?

No. Most banks in the US aren't open on Sundays. Some have very limited hours for Saturday.
farmerman

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 11:50 am
@tsarstepan,
I found several TD banks in Lancaster and Chester Counties, Im going to mosey over one day with a bucket of quarters. Of course Ive already measured a 5 lb metal (bean) can with a mark and weight for 50$ worth of quarters.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 12:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
Odd-ish. Pre-covid, most branches had regular Saturday hours and some branches have partial Sundays. Most adjustments have been to branches inside malls as they are not open at all.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 12:41 pm
@gollum,
Is the commercial you are talking about referenced in this article?
gollum

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 03:47 pm
@engineer,
engineer-

Yes it is.

Though I have no objection to the ad, I am surprised that no one is complaining about racial stereotypes as people did when certain white persons dressed in dark-face.