New York City Public District Schools

gollum

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2023 02:47 pm
I have read that many New York City Public District Schools operate inefficiently and ineffectively. Specifically, many graduating students are poorly educated; many schools can function only with metal detectors; there are many violent incidents, etc.

I have also read that these schools cost more to operate than schools elsewhere. I think they cost about $37,000 per student per year versus a national average of $13,494.

Might moving a kid from a public school to home tutoring assisted by a tutor have a lower cost and result in a better-educated student?

jespah

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2023 02:59 pm
@gollum,
Well, you've certainly decided that none of those kids' parents need to work. Or take care of other kids or relatives. Or aren't very well educated themselves and would make lousy teachers. Or that there's room in all those apartments for this kind of thing—when there are buildings actually designed for this purpose, and people who are properly trained to instruct.

In Tennessee, for example (a former coworker home schooled her kids in Memphis), the parent has to follow a curriculum and the kids have to be tested. I would imagine NY has some kind of similar requirements. Or would you prefer that kids be told that the earth is flat, or 2 + 2 is 5?
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2023 03:45 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

I think they cost about $37,000 per student per year versus a national average of $13,494.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Tell the world that you watch nothing but Fox News, Breitbart, and Infowars.

Why do you hate search engines?

Your numbers are wildly off. But I expect that from you.
https://imgur.com/0gBYLsy.jpg
Quote:
Response: Total expenditures for public elementary and secondary schools in the United States were $870 billion in 2019–20 (in constant 2021–22 dollars). This amounts to an average of $17,013 per public school pupil enrolled in the fall of that school year.

And do you understand the concept of averages? And that terrible, shitty states like Alabama ( $10,108 per pupil) and Mississippi (FY2021, the per-student base amount was $5,829) murder the national average? And do you think that we need to COSTCO education and that cheaper means better?

Quote:
Might moving a kid from a public school to home tutoring assisted by a tutor have a lower cost and result in a better-educated student?

While forgetting that schooling provides more than academic education but socialization for students?
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2023 04:27 pm
@jespah,
jespah-

Thank you for your kind reply.

I admit that there are difficulties to be worked and that my idea may not be practicable for some parents.

I accept that the students should be tested at the end of each school year. I suspect that the kids may perform better than the public school students.

I would not tell the parent what curriculum to follow. I suspect these students would perform better the public school students (e.g., learn Calculus instead of arithmetic).

I do not prefer that kids be told that the earth is flat, or that 2 + 2 is 5.
0 Replies