TD Bank

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 04:58 pm
@gollum,
Are you familiar with the 2019 ad the new one is based on?

This is the work at home update with the same actor. Friend of a neighbour who has been in other TD ads.

Not sure what the racial stereotype is supposed to be. Bank managers can be any gender or race. Bank managers can dance at work and at home. Nothing unusual there.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 04:59 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:
no one is complaining about racial stereotypes as people did when certain white persons dressed in dark-face.

is it inappropriate for a bank manager to be black?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 05:03 pm

engineer

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 06:45 pm
@gollum,
What is the racial stereotype you think you see here?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 07:29 am
@ehBeth,
I don’t remember seeing the new version but it is actually pretty clever but only if you were to connect it with the first one.
Linkat

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 07:34 am
@gollum,
The first one is basically showing the guy after hours the bank just closed everyone is gone so he does something silly like dance as if no one is looking ... we are human we all do crap like that... customer ran late and got to the bank just a little late.

Commercial point is this employee is human got caught doing something silly ... pulled himself together and unlike other banks he also treats customers in a human like way recognizing this poor person had something preventing him from getting him there on time so let him in to do his transaction. Trying to show the people or human side of things not that the customer is a number.
Linkat

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 07:37 am
@Linkat,
The second is obviously a play off the first but trying to encourage banking from home under the current circumstances and showing how easy it is.

The dancing is fun, upbeat and happy and shows a playful human side.
engineer

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 08:30 am
@Linkat,
The article I posted earlier was from an advertising industry magazine talking about how successful the ads were. I'm not sure what the OP is concerned about.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 10:01 am
@Linkat,
I think the second one stands on its own but does even better when you see the riff off of the first.

Chill banker staying late to take care of customers in the original.
Chill banker still taking care of you while he/they are working from home.

I really like both of those ads. They've got a good ad team.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 10:05 am
@engineer,
yup. I'm having a hard time figuring out what racial stereotype they are on about.
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 04:00 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth-

Thank you

Yes, bank managers can dance at work or home. However, I think that it is unusual particularly at work.

I believe there was a racist stereotype, (which I do not approve of) connecting African Americans with dancing via Minstrel shows.
Linkat

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 09:49 am
@gollum,
That’s a stretch ... not like he was dressed or was music from a minstrel show.

Now maybe I could see you saying something like African Americans have more rhythm than white guys bit minstrel show really it is nothing like that
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 07:17 pm
@gollum,
what?

where are you getting any minstrel show connection here?

only POC dance?
<shaking head>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 07:18 pm
Awkward dad dancing is awkward dad dancing regardless of ethnicity.
0 Replies