New York City, Boston travel info ;)

Lash

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 08:37 pm
Hi ya. Will be in Boston in a few days, and we want to take a day trip to Manhattan. My daughter would like to see Rocky Center...I may try to work in a trip to Greenwich Village. I hear that driving (and parking) is fraught with peril... Would you 1) drive, 2) take a train or 3) utilize some tour transport?? Thanks in advance for anyone who will share inside info. Wink
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 6,608 • Replies: 52

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 09:05 pm
@Lash,
As a former resident at both venues, lemme see if I can help you out. Driving will take about 4 1/2 hours. It's an easy trip except that, as you've already said, the nightmare begins once you're on the island of Manhattan. Off-street parking is exorbitantly expensive and on-street parking next to non-existent. Taking the bus is a good bet. About the same travel time, give or take 10 or 15 minutes and you're dropped off in the virtual dead center of town, at the Port Authority Terminal on 34th St on the West Side. It's within walking distance of Times Square and,if you want to stroll liesurely, to Rockefeller Centeras well. There was a time -- eons ago, before anyone had ever hijacked a plane and flight fares were actually reasonably -- when Delta and Eastern ran hourly shuttle service between Logan Int'l Airport (boston) and Laguardia (NYC). Didn't need reservations. Buy a ticket and board the plane. But that was in the good old days. Today I wouldn't recommend flying unless you're on an unlimited expense account. There's a fast train now, the Acela, run by Amtrak but I don't know any details on that, never having taken it. Call Amtrak; could be your best bet.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 09:13 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I went to nyc to boston and back with my mother on the greyhound centuries ago. I figure buses available now vary - lot online about that. Train - me, I'd be doing the train. I think. I've read about too many bus crashes.
George

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 09:27 pm
When we go to NYC (from Massachusetts) we drive to Stamford CT and
stay at the Marriott. It's an easy walk (or shuttle ride) from the hotel
to the commuter rail (MTA Metro-North). If you get an express, it's a 45
minute ride to Grand Central. No way I'm dealing with a car in New York
City.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 09:41 pm
@Lash,
A day trip to New York from Boston seems to involve somewhere around 9 - 10 hours of driving in total, so you don't have a lot of time in the middle - so train or bus if you can - you'll want to sleep during the travel part of the trip.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 09:42 pm
@Lash,
If you really only have the day, take one of those bus tour things in the city unless you already know the city fairly well.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 09:52 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
A day trip to New York from Boston seems to involve somewhere
around 9 - 10 hours of driving in total, so you don't have a lot of
time in the middle - so train or bus if you can - you'll want to sleep
during the travel part of the trip.
Yeah, it's about a 3 and a half hour drive from Boston to Stamford,
then another 45 minutes on the train. We've never day-tripped it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 10:24 pm
Thank you so much. Considering all opinions. I'm very appreciative!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 10:38 pm
@Lash,
A Day in Manhattan among many years? Go directly to where you want to go - Rockefeller Center, sure.
And you, Lash? There's a not too far famous library.. or whatever interests you.

On my one day in 1969, I went to the Met, with my mother that I didn't know had Alzheimer's. Left her on the bench in the lobby, being strange and alone, and ran around for not more than fifteen minutes, in the vicinity. Didn't get back for 34 years.
By then I was an art sucking ghoul.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 06:19 am
@Lash,

you can catch the acela from south station.
it's about 3 hours 30 minutes, and takes you to 34th street & 7th avenue -- not far from rockefeller center...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 06:21 am
Oh the Acela is lovely. It's a few hundred (comparable to the plane, much of the time, unless you don't mind taking it at ungodly hours). I think they now have free Wifi on the entire route, all cars. We pack a meal, never buy their stuff when NYC or Boston food is better (and cheaper). Penn Station is 34th St and 7th Ave. In Boston, if you don't mind it, take the train from Back Bay (which is near the Orange Line and not too far from the Green Line Copley stop) instead of South Station, as it's less crowded, but I warn you (I am not kidding here), the Back Bay station has no heat and it is mondo cold in the winter, even inside.
Lash

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 07:42 am
@jespah,
Good grief - thanks for that. We are considering spending a night in Times Square. I didn't realize how much driving is required for day trip...and that reasonable buses are so incredibly uncomfortable. Looked in to Bolt and considered, but...since we are from the rural South - and so conditioned to having our own cars, I think the amenity of a free parking garage at our hotel...and waking up fresh in Manhattan are worth a couple of hundred to stay the night. The Acela literature was a great sell. Just really pricey for the four of us. (I'm so cheap)

So, while I have you peeps here... Wink Would you give an opinion:
Best Irish Pub (most authentic seeming):
Most dangerous neighborhood:
Most Boston-y sight, building, thing to do:
Why the **** are Bruins tickets so much: (fume)
Best seafood or Italian restaurant
Funkycool Bostonian experience?

Thanks so much. It has been so awesome to be able to ask locals questions and get really valuable answers. I also saw a similar thread by Margo last night and checked it out.
Lash

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 07:53 am
@Lash,
The Roosevelt Hotel looks FAB. Actually considering staying Christmas Eve and Christmas... wonder if enough of Manhattan is open for business.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 07:55 am
@George,
I may still try to sell this, George. Thanks. I'm at my kid's mercy. Appreciate your thought.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 07:56 am
@ossobuco,
Horror story, osso. So sorry for that experience.
jespah

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 08:22 am
@Lash,
Reasonable minds differ - my ideas -

Lash wrote:

So, while I have you peeps here... Wink Would you give an opinion:
Best Irish Pub (most authentic seeming): Green Briar?
Most dangerous neighborhood: used to be the Combat Zone, dunno anymore
Most Boston-y sight, building, thing to do: Faneuil Hall
Why the **** are Bruins tickets so much: (fume) Lord Stanley's Cup
Best seafood or Italian restaurant Seafood - No Name's; dunno re Italian, try the North End (that's an area, not a resto)
Funkycool Bostonian experience? unsure

Thanks so much. It has been so awesome to be able to ask locals questions and get really valuable answers. I also saw a similar thread by Margo last night and checked it out.

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 11:44 am
I've got to figure out a way to let people use my apartment while I'm away.
I haven't been in the city on Christmas Eve or Day in twelve years and I won't here this year either.
I have a huge bed and there's a couch in the living that could sleep two adults and a child.
The apartment is on the A line (you can hit the subway station with a baseball from the building's front sidewalk)
Since the city (and my co-op) has started to crack down on unlawful sub-lets, the folks would not be paying for the space, rather they would be watching the place for me while I was away and maybe they just forget to take those two one hundred bills off the top of the dresser when they left.

Joe(one for each night they watched)Nation
ehBeth

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 11:53 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
..since we are from the rural South - and so conditioned to having our own cars, I think the amenity of a free parking garage at our hotel...and waking up fresh in Manhattan are worth a couple of hundred to stay the night.

the trick is being able to figure out how to get to the parking for your hotel (the parking isn't necessarily at the hotel, and driving in Manhattan is a big gak if you're not used to it - only thing worse (I think) is trying to get to the airport in D.C.

The Acela is a really good option - then stay inexpensively (but cleanly) at the SIHNYC on 13th in Manhattan.

Do NOT spend a night near Times Square. Not not not a good option.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 11:54 am
@Joe Nation,
I hope that u will remember to properly secure your chattel
from access by your watchmen, because even tho u r generous
in their wages . . . u never know.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 04:31 pm
I wouldn't advise a tour bus. Traffic is horrendous at this time of year. Tour buses are not immune.

The best place to see the Rock Ctr tree is from Fifth Avenue. You get to see the angels and the tree all in one eyeful.

I don't know of any affordable seafood restaurants in Manhattan, unless you go to a chain, like Red Lobster. I wouldn't recommend this.

Trying to remember the names of some Italian restaurants I used to know. If I remember, I'll come back.

BTW, I think the train would be preferable to a bus from Boston.
0 Replies