Downvoting to knock over the game board

Linkat

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 06:56 am
@oralloy,
Just for some meanings board - where people express their thoughts?

I don't know - but it seems weird to me even if it does not take that much energy - but just the thought that one feels the need to do this - on a board that quite honestly is unlikely to have an impact as a whole. Maybe impact the few people it reaches but it really it does not impact politics as a whole.

If just is not logical.
livinglava

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 07:31 am
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

livinglava wrote:
[Not mean, true.

Nope, just mean spirited.

Is it mean-spirited when someone accuses you of giving bad medical advice when you just suggest yoga as indoor exercise because you didn't tell them what they wanted to hear about sport being a 'need?'

Quote:

A specific instance was given. You ignored it.

It doesn't matter. You are looking for reasons to demonize me, because you are a scapegoater/witch-hunter. It's the same reason you and several other people post as much anti-Trump propaganda as you can. You think if you pump enough poison onto the internet, people will swallow it and erupt in hateful negative reactions.

Quote:

You get demonized because you won't read a post, give awful advice and then complain you're the victim. Which, you're not a victim, you're just wrong but won't admit your own fallacy.

Look at the big picture of what I posted: Someone talked about the 'need' to have sports without considering how that opens up a hub for pathogen-transmission and spread. My response was to think of some other way to get exercise without interacting with other people/kids, e.g. yoga. That's all I said and you and others turn it into an opportunity to demonize me.

The bottom line is that sports are an opportunity to transmit pathogens, so you shouldn't discount that because kids/people like their sports to the point of seeing them as a 'need.' We all need exercise, but there are ways to get it without creating a pathogen-transfer hub.
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 07:34 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
I'll bet that, were downvotes a feature of real life, people who didn't wish to be thumbed down by others would either 1) grow a thicker skin, or 2) choose to hang out with different people. This is an opinion forum, folks. Knowing that people find your views objectionable — or more likely, the way you state them — is just as telling and as useful as finding that people agree with you. You probably wouldn't like the people who thumb you down so why show them that you care what they think by whining about it?

Hell, you can always post pictures of puppies.

It's not about the negative opinions but about the posts getting closed to where readers have to click them open.

If casual readers have to open loads of closed posts to get to yours, there's a good chance they'll just scroll past all the closed posts and read the ones that are open.

That is why the only solution is to choose posts that look like a lot of effort went into them and downvote them until they close as well. That way more people will understand why it's annoying to have posts closed by downvoting.
0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 07:56 am
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 08:03 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Just for some meanings board - where people express their thoughts?

Progressives are Stalinists at heart.

If they had the power, people who told the truth would simply disappear and never be heard from again.
Linkat

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 08:05 am
@Linkat,
Oops should be meaningless board
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 08:22 am
@oralloy,
Give me a break.

You're one of the most active posters here. And you're claiming you're being silenced?

Get a grip.
oralloy

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 08:25 am
@neptuneblue,
It is unlikely that I am one of the most active posters here.

And yes, I am among those who are targeted for downvote abuse.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 08:33 am
@neptuneblue,
Yeah I think he does - I saw on here - all he commented was that there is an abuse where people have multiple accounts and will down vote the same person. It was negative in the votes - I upvote so he is at 0. Probably max is it? that upvotes everyone did as well.
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 08:42 am
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

Give me a break.

You're one of the most active posters here. And you're claiming you're being silenced?

Get a grip.

How will you feel when some posts that you put a lot of effort into get downvoted to the point of readers having to click to open them, if they don't just scroll past them, that is?

Will you be fine with that since you are an active poster?
oralloy

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 08:45 am
@livinglava,
Actually someone (I don't know who) has gotten fed up with it and retaliated before.

The squawking and caterwauling from the progressives was deafening when they were subjected to their own medicine.

https://able2know.org/topic/468668-1
hightor

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 11:01 am
@livinglava,
Quote:

How will you feel when some posts that you put a lot of effort into get downvoted to the point of readers having to click to open them...

Why would that concern me? At all? It doesn't stop me from saying what I think. It just indicates that the idea wasn't well-received. Big ******* deal. Maybe you should put less effort into your posts and you wouldn't feel so frustrated. Now, as a matter of fact, when I see that a post has been downvoted to oblivion I often open it to see if it's really that bad. And, more times than not, it is.
Quote:
Will you be fine with that since you are an active poster?

I really don't care what Trump supporters think of my posts.
livinglava

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 11:10 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Why would that concern me? At all? It doesn't stop me from saying what I think. It just indicates that the idea wasn't well-received.

As readers scroll through thread with multiple, "below viewing threshold" links, they are probably only click some of them, but they will scan through the text of open posts to see if they are interested in reading them.

So it is a way of censoring posts at a practical level, but if it doesn't bother you, I will just look for posts of yours that seem like real gems and downvote them until they are "below viewing threshold."

Quote:
Maybe you should put less effort into your posts and you wouldn't feel so frustrated.

So your solution for being censored is to self-censor. Noted.

maxdancona

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 11:15 am
@hightor,
I think you are being a bit hypocritical Hightor. It is easy to ignore when it isn't happening to your posts.

hightor

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 11:23 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
It is easy to ignore when it isn't happening to your posts.

It's happened on other forums. And if I posted some of my more unpopular opinions it would, no doubt, happen here. I don't post on the gun threads, for instance, because people's minds are already made up and no one wants to hear what I think. Fine. I'm not missing anything, and either are they.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 11:25 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
It is easy to ignore when it isn't happening to your posts.

It's happened on other forums. And if I posted some of my more unpopular opinions it would, no doubt, happen here. I don't post on the gun threads, for instance, because people's minds are already made up and no one wants to hear what I think. Fine. I'm not missing anything, and either are they.

And on these "other forums" you had no problem with your posts being hidden?
hightor

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 11:28 am
@livinglava,
Quote:
I will just look for posts of yours that seem like real gems and downvote them until they are "below viewing threshold."

How christian of you!

Good luck finding any "gems" in the garbage I usually spew. But if you have the power to downvote posts below the viewing threshold that would suggest you are gaming the system and are somehow able to thumb multiple times. Hmm...maybe I should report you to the forensic experts on the site.
Quote:
So your solution for being censored is to self-censor.

No, just don't invest so much of your identity and effort into trying to increase your audience share.
hightor

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 11:32 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
And on these "other forums" you had no problem with your posts being hidden?

Why would I care if gun nuts and Trump supporters indicate their displeasure?

Edit: Here, I've upvoted posts by you and the lava character. Have a nice day!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 12:02 pm
@maxdancona,

as i illustrated the other day, posts can be set to visible, regardless of vote tally ...
livinglava

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 12:11 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
I will just look for posts of yours that seem like real gems and downvote them until they are "below viewing threshold."

How christian of you!

Good luck finding any "gems" in the garbage I usually spew. But if you have the power to downvote posts below the viewing threshold that would suggest you are gaming the system and are somehow able to thumb multiple times. Hmm...maybe I should report you to the forensic experts on the site.

Well, I probably won't actually downvote posts to try to get them below viewing threshold, but I say so to get people to realize that they don't want it to happen to their posts. Some people will still not realize it from me saying it, however, so then I have to actually do it for them realize it.

You're right, in Christianity we are supposed to turn the other cheek; but of course there is a way to downvote to rebuke instead of doing it to spite. The difference is just in your attitude/spirit when doing it. You might say that doesn't matter, but if you think about it, it does matter.

Quote:
Quote:
So your solution for being censored is to self-censor.

No, just don't invest so much of your identity and effort into trying to increase your audience share.

If I just wanted to 'increase my audience share," I would say whatever I thought would make more people read my posts.

Of course I want more people to read my posts and read them more thoroughly/deeply, but that is because I am trying to reach out with information that not too many people get, like, or receive well.

You could teach a class and only a few students would understand or care what you're talking about, let alone like it. So with the internet you have the ability to cast material over a much broader audience, only a small fraction of whom might benefit from reading what have to say.

So it matters when some censorial people downvote your posts "below viewing threshold" to prevent others who might benefit from reading something you posted from ever noticing it to begin with.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 09:35:40