Downvoting to knock over the game board

Linkat

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 01:56 pm
@livinglava,
Yep and I understand the meaning behind each one - the meaning and why certain words are called buzz words are because people use them to sound smarter than they are. They use these words in place of facts.

So for example - instead of saying oppressed by patriarchy --- give a fact that shows it. You can say words - but it only gets you so far - you need to support your words with facts.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 01:58 pm
But that is enough fun for now - so enjoy!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 04:22 pm
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
So now you're accusing people...

Her evil twin maxdancona threw up a a similar moan thread a few days ago. He declared that he will be upthumbing more often than a gnome on steroids in a rock garden as his solution.

When will these dweebs grow up and stop whining about essentially meaningless thumbings?
Linkat

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 04:30 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Quote:
So now you're accusing people...

Her evil twin maxdancona threw up a a similar moan thread a few days ago. He declared that he will be upthumbing more often than a gnome on steroids in a rock garden as his solution.

When will these dweebs grow up and stop whining about essentially meaningless thumbings?

For the h*ll of it I just upthumbed you.

Tomorrow I will be in a different mood and down thumb you - just for the h*ll of it.

So go ahead world and tell me I am childish!
Sturgis

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 04:34 pm
@Linkat,
As long as I don't see it, I can confidently pretend the down thumb never happened.

On a happier note, finally got paper products again....

...shop online at 1 in the morning from my local supermarket.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 04:35 pm
@Sturgis,
Let's be honest here. The game is to collapse posts.

The is a little group of 5 or 6 of them that seem to downthumb in lockstep. And it is personal, I got Izzy and Sturgis' little crew to downthumb equal pay for women (which is kind of funny. I think).

It makes perfect sense, if the outsiders stand up to the bullies, then the game no longer works.

I believe enough in free speech that I have no problem sticking up for someone here even if I disagree with them.

maxdancona

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 04:38 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat, it isn't us versus them.

I have no problem thumbing up Sturgis. Sometimes I disagree with him. Sometimes I agree with him. Either way I will thumb him up whenever he needs it.

I am against the nasty behavior, not against the person behind it.

Linkat

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 04:39 pm
@maxdancona,
To be honest I had no idea that if someone gets a down thumb from many people - it collapses. I guess I just plain old did not notice.

So what happens if someone gets over 6 ups - does it magically get even bigger!
maxdancona

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 04:42 pm
@Linkat,
It would be cool if you could save up the up thumbs on one post and use them on the other post. The current system encourages thumb wars.
neptuneblue

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 04:42 pm
@maxdancona,
So now thumbing down is "nasty" behavior...

Great....
Linkat

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 04:43 pm
@maxdancona,
But what happened to sturgis - I just up thumbed him and now he is back down to 1 again. I am sad for you sturgis!

I honestly find the whole thing funny - I upthumb someone typically if they say something that I wanted to say - usually they say it better than I would so it is sort of an agreement - yes this person is as smart as I am and now I do not need to say anything just my up thumb of approval.

We should really have names on these. So we know that they got smarter people agreeing with them and conversely it would make all my negatives seems so much better as we all know only idiots down thumb me so that just solidifies my superior knowledge.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 04:45 pm
@Linkat,
Don't worry Linkat.

I've got Sturgis' back. I put him back up.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 04:45 pm
@maxdancona,
Oh was that thumb wars post? I did not open it because I just figured it was about the actual thumb war where you try to pin down someone's elses thumbs - something we can no longer do as we cannot touch.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 04:47 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

So now thumbing down is "nasty" behavior...

Great....

Yes, actually it is.

When I piss off Izzy/Sturgis, I notice that every post on every thread gets a -6 for a little while. I can post the most innocuous post about music on a music thread and get a -6 just for being me.

That feels like nasty behavior.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 04:49 pm
@maxdancona,
Is it nasty if someone posts something really dumb. Not a disagreement but it is really dumb like it actually could cause someone harm. Like someone suggesting to drink anti freeze or like when I was supporting kitten bonsai (now granted this was a hoax but some people were really pissed at me that I even posted this ) .

I just need to be clear on the rules

Actually I found this in the official A2K rules:
so my guess is this thread is against the rules
"...or complaining at length about voting)"

10) No voting abuse, begging for (down)votes, vote brigading
No voting abuse, begging for (down)votes, vote brigading or using fake accounts to add extra (down)votes.

Vote drama is not welcome either (e.g. mass downvoting a user you're feuding with, or complaining at length about voting). Voting abuse will periodically be reviewed and users guilty of it will either be suspended or will have their votes stop counting.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 04:54 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Is it nasty if someone posts something really dumb. Not a disagreement but it is really dumb like it actually could cause someone harm. Like someone suggesting to drink anti freeze or like when I was supporting kitten bonsai (now granted this was a hoax but some people were really pissed at me that I even posted this ) .

1. If someone posts something that offends me, I will respond. I take responsibility for what I say. Everyone knows my opinion. It is me.

2. I don't carry grudges from thread to thread. If I have a strong disagreement with someone on one thread, even if I think what they said was offensive, I have no problem being civil on another thread. I have have both strong disagreements and civil discussion with many people on Able2know.

3. The problem with the down thumbs are anonymous.

4. The bigger problem with the down thumbs is that they are used for grudge matches. People are being followed from thread to thread.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 04:55 pm
@Linkat,
This rule is very clearly not being enforced.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 04:58 pm
@maxdancona,
Max, the same 30 odd + post regularly. Why would you not think it's the same people in each thread?
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 04:59 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Well one would have thought they would google ACL (a very common but serious sports injury) if they wanted to intelligently discuss it. But you just want to argue without having any facts. Again proving my point that you have little or no facts to support what you say. And do you know how many times a poster has posted something that uses common acronyms and I have no idea what it means? I either ask - or I look it up - I do not comment and say they should do yoga when I have no idea what it is that is ailing them.

I told you that when I read your post, I don't know whether it's a real person telling the truth about their real family life or someone making up a hypothetical scenario to see what trumps COVID19 shutdown.

If I looked up ACL and somehow reasoned that it was a justification for re-opening sports, then that would basically allow everyone to choose to do sports because 'some kids need it.' So my primary concern is how to give kids other ways to stay healthy and sane without interacting with other kids, because I don't want COVID19 to spread any more than necessary.

Now, if you don't like my perspective about prioritizing COVID19 avoidance, then I'm not the person whose opinion you are looking for.

Quote:
If you were sharing a realistic POV then yes I would not have any problem. But it is for lack of a better term stupid at best - harmful at worst. Giving medical advice can be harmful so unless you know what you are doing

I never told you I was a doctor giving medical advice. I told you what I would do if it was me or my kid, and I never told you that I understand your situation from your perspective and experience because only you can do that. Sorry if you don't find my perspective 'realistic,' but that is your subjective realism that you are applying, not mine.

Quote:
- which you did not by your own admission even know what a tore ACL was - but you did know it was serious as I expressed it was a two year recovery. Common sense would then tell you - well this must be a serious injury even if I don't know what it is - since it takes so long to recover - maybe just maybe it isn't a good idea to do yoga or suggest any sort of exercise if it takes two years to fully recover and the poster says they cannot do much exercise for a year.

You assume that I took your post to be true and not something someone makes up to post on the internet. This is the internet. People lie and make things up. People do it face to face too, so you know they are doing it on the internet.

Quote:
Hmm quite likely in this case, they have a PT or they would need a doctor as they are saying it is a TWO YEAR recovery so likely the doctor is letting them know what is proper care. Hmm - at least that is what a reasonable person would think.

What I think is that there are people around the world who don't even go to doctors and therapists so I have no idea what your social class is or why you have access to doctors and therapy and thus what your norms and expectations are.

All I am concerned about is keeping kids isolated from each other so they don't spread COVID19. Can you understand that POV?

Quote:
But know I should think in a different way and see another POV rather than a trusted doctor which a reasonable person would believe as the poster stated their child had a TWO YEAR recovery.

It's not an either-or choice. You can look at things from all kinds of different POVs and ultimately you have to form your own based on your own thought process, values, ethics, morality, etc.

Quote:
So most of what you are arguing or rather stating a different POV is stuff around the medical field which you seem to feel is that showing a different POV from someone who has no experience is the field is what one should do. To me that is not what reasonable person does -

My POV is simple: COVID19 spreads through contact so how much can people avoid contact and what can they do to stay healthy and happy while avoiding contact. Is that a POV that requires a medical degree, in your opinion?

Quote:
You still are not humble enough to admit you are wrong so be it. You again twist the humble to make it appears as if I am provoking and am the bad guy sorry lady keep living on your high horse and feel you are above others - that is not humble.

You wouldn't know if I was because I would not trust you or anyone else over the internet to show humility to, when I already see that you are in battle-mode trying to win by accusing me of failing at humility, lacking medical credentials, etc. etc.

Quote:
And there is no positive discussion when someone with NO experience in the medical field wants to give you another POV rather than a licensed and experienced doctor or therapists. Not only is not positive it can be very harmful if the person receiving it is ignorant enough to believe your POV and follows it. Please explain how that is a positive discussion?

You don't have to be a doctor to understand how viruses spread through social contact. Just think of it in terms of second-hand smoke, perfumes, etc. If you can smell someone's perfume, body odor, etc., you could be catching their airborne virus.

You might contract a light viral load that is easy to develop antibodies or you might get a worse infection. Different people have different symptoms (you can get this from reading the news). You also know that people gestate and transmit viruses before coming down with symptoms.

Quote:
I am not attacking you - I am attacking your lame claims - and the fact that you cannot admit that your facts are screwed up and instead of admitting you made a mistake you are twisting things and using big buzz words in an effort to make the other person seem unintelligent.

Attacking me is exactly what you are doing when you generalize about all my claims being 'lame' or my facts 'screwed up.' If you were attacking my claims or facts, you would mention them specifically.

Quote:
I actually have no expectations of you - other than to use facts if you expect anyone to even listen to your POV or argument. I gave this post as an example of why you get voted down - and it may not be just because someone is childish - it could be because of how you handle things and act as though you know more than others.

The facts are that COVID19 infection/death rates are in the headlines all the time so you don't need me to quote them to you. The virus is very small and light, much smaller than pollen. I don't want to keep listing all the facts because you have just as much access to them as I do. I share my perspective while yours is clearly that you are looking for allies to corroborate your POV that your daughter's 'need' for sports trumps the need to stop COVID19 from spreading. Sorry, but I won't corroborate that.

Quote:
Be humble and read through your posts - you start arguments. You pulled almost each of my sentences and provided an ill filled POV on each of these which in many cases were medically related. It is not something that required a POV - yes anyone can comment and provide their opinion - I am giving my opinion of why your opinion s*cks. And why others may feel that way as well and thus downvote you.

You can't downvote COVID19 when your kid's sports team contracts it and passes it on to everyone they come in contact with.

Quote:
You were the one who asked why people down vote you - I am proving you my POV, argument, or opinion on why that is the case. In your own words - "just realizing I am sharing my POV for in the event that it helps YOU think in ways you haven't yet."

True, that is what you're doing; but you are actually biased against me because I didn't corroborate what you wanted to hear, which is that some kids 'need' sports badly enough to justify exposing people unnecessarily to COVID19. If kids 'needed' sports so badly, than wouldn't every kid have a right to play sports instead of only the kids who qualify during try-outs?
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 05:06 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Let's be honest here. The game is to collapse posts.

The is a little group of 5 or 6 of them that seem to downthumb in lockstep. And it is personal, I got Izzy and Sturgis' little crew to downthumb equal pay for women (which is kind of funny. I think).

It makes perfect sense, if the outsiders stand up to the bullies, then the game no longer works.

I believe enough in free speech that I have no problem sticking up for someone here even if I disagree with them.

Bingo, they are abusing the downvote as a way of censoring anything/anyone they disagree with instead of posts that are actually offensive beyond the mere fact that they disagree and/or dislike the poster.

I would upvote your post as well as responding to it, but it irritates me to have to click the upvote button so much because all these other people are voting in lockstep.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 12:28:02