Downvoting to knock over the game board

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 05:24 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
if someone gets a down thumb from many people - it collapses.

you can keep topics and posts visible, regardless of voting...

https://i.imgur.com/bqxJOOj.jpg

if you log out, topics and posts that are -5 or lower remain collapsed...
livinglava

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 05:36 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

you can keep topics and posts visible, regardless of voting...

https://i.imgur.com/bqxJOOj.jpg

if you log out, topics and posts that are -5 or lower remain collapsed...

That would be fine if you just wanted to have a private discussion group among all the people who get downvoted for political reasons, but if new users don't understand or bother opening posts/threads that close due to downvoting, it blocks us from communicating with new users.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 06:46 pm
@Region Philbis,
I agree with Lava on this one.

Having your posts collapsed by the angry mob doesn't just effect the angry mob, it means your posts will be collapsed for everyone. Maybe if this preference was "off" by default, then the angry mob could choose to opt in.

The intent of mass downthumbing isn't to disappear posts for this group. It is to make these posts disappear for everyone.

neptuneblue

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 08:00 pm
@maxdancona,
You make it seem down voted posts go to Post Hell. That's some melodramatic stuff right there. Posts get collapsed, not removed from a thread. Anybody and everybody can see that post just by clicking on it. It's not rocket science nor is it censorship as you're trying to claim.

I've got an idea. Don't post inflammatory **** and that won't happen. Or, better yet, if you DO post inflammatory ****, expect it to be negatively viewed.

maxdancona

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 08:28 pm
@neptuneblue,
The posts are "inflammatory" if you say they are inflammatory. There a small group of people who have taken it upon themselves to judge what is inflammatory and what is not. If the rest of us stand up to this thumb abuse, you won't be able to collapse threads.

Whether you any posts negatively is your business. When you try to get the posts of anyone who disagrees with you to be collapsed... that is the definition of censorship. Instead of having a reasonable discussion, you try to hide any views that challenge your own.

You don't like it when people disagree with you. That's your problem, not mine.
Real Music

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 08:34 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
Children sometimes lose their temper when playing a game and knock over the board.
You must be describing Donald (Temper Tantrum) Trump.

Quote:
Internet discussions are not a game, and posters are presumably not children in age, but yet they still 'knock over the board
It sounds like you are describing how Donald Trump acts and behaves like a spoil brat every single day.

Quote:
Petty, isn't it?
Just when you think Donald Trump can't get any more petty or any more despicable, he then becomes more petty and more despicable.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 08:39 pm
@maxdancona,
I don't believe people intentionally gang up to collapse a post though. I think that if a post is so egregious that a normal person would vote it down then chances are there's even MORE normal people that disagree and vote a post down.

Again, you're making "hiding" a post seem like it's a conspiracy against YOU. If you truly feel that way, go find another forum that reacts better and agrees with your point of view.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 08:45 pm
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
I think that if a post is so egregious that a normal person would vote it down then chances are there's even MORE normal people that disagree and vote a post down.

I disagree. There is a political bubble here. If you disagree with it, you get thumbed down en masse. Some of the posts that get thumbed into oblivion are fairly standard ideas that are held by respected academics.

I wish down thumbs were public so we could see if there were any posts where you disagree politically without thumbing it down.

And how do you justify people going from thread to thread to post down innocuous posts based on nothing except who posted it?
neptuneblue

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 08:52 pm
@maxdancona,
I don't have to justify any thing. Neither do you. Only only difference is you whine about it and I don't.

Look, this is a fairly liberal site. It tends to support liberal views, You DON'T have to be here. If you'd like to be the contrarian, be the guest of honor. Wear the badge conspicuously and proudly, just like the others do.

But you don't want that. You want to make sure to be seen as an outlier, neither in, or out. Well then, you get what you get then.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 08:55 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

Again, you're making "hiding" a post seem like it's a conspiracy against YOU. If you truly feel that way, go find another forum that reacts better and agrees with your point of view.

It is partisan bullshit from people inside of an ideological bubble.

What is happening here is pretty much what is happening in general. No one wants to think outside their own bubbles... they sit in their comfortable groups and through mud at the other side. This must be fun for you.

I don't mind being the "fly in the ointment" (as bobsal so aptly said). If didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't be here.

maxdancona

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 08:59 pm
@neptuneblue,
I don't see me whining. I LIKE it here. You are the one is getting "inflamed". Yes, I am wearing the badge conspicuously and proudly.

If you CHOOSE to be here... a place where people are able to express opinions, then why do want them to disappear. Your posts are hypocritical.

You are absolutely right. I am here. I am queer (at least in the original sense of the word). I am rocking the cart. And I am calling you out for your hypocritical positions.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 09:02 pm
@maxdancona,

I only thumb down posts because of what was posted, not who posted it.
neptuneblue

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 09:04 pm
@maxdancona,
So what if it is?

You said yourself not to take things seriously or personally. But here you are, thinking you're going to change the world by whining about being down voted.

Wanna change the world?

Be proactive. Get off the damn computer, volunteer at your local election board, Seek election in local, regional, state or national politics. Drum up a political action committee fund to put a candidate of YOUR choice on the ballot.

Be for God's ******* sake, QUIT whining about a ******* thumb!!
maxdancona

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 09:04 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

I appreciate that, Real Music. That is the way it should be.

maxdancona

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 09:06 pm
@neptuneblue,
Neptune,

Are you enjoying this discussion with me? I am always happy talking to you. If you are upset as you seem, then you shouldn't be responding.

If you are just flirting with me... I love it. I want to make sure that you really want this before we jump into bed again.

0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 09:07 pm
@maxdancona,
Yes, and you are rewarded with rainbows and unicorns.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 09:14 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

The real hypocrisy is that the most off-topic, insulting, childish posts come from Izzy, Stugis and Glitterbag and friends. They often rate double digit up-thumbs.

People eat that **** up as long it is from the right political side. If you look at the top-rated posts, they are all personal attacks, and they are all from a narrow left-wing bubble.

Many people are cheering for their side, the nastier the better.
neptuneblue

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 09:22 pm
@maxdancona,
That's the 2nd time you've called something nasty, yet you don't look at your own behavior as such.

Maybe some inward reflection would do you some good.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 09:41 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

That's the 2nd time you've called something nasty, yet you don't look at your own behavior as such.

You are right. I don't see my behavior as such.

I have no problem disagreeing with someone on a topic without attacking them personally. There are people I can disagree with on one thread and still treat well on other threads.

I am saying that people should step out of their ideological bubbles, stop throwing partisan mud, and start trying to understand things from more than one perspective rather than trying to attack anyone who doesn't completely agree.

You could join me.

maxdancona

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 09:49 pm
Ugh.

I went back several pages of Coldjoint's posts thinking there must be some post that you could thumb-up. I failed. I am pretty sure that in the past I remember Coldjoint pointing on non-political threads. Now they seem pretty obsessed with Trump.

At least I tried.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 06:36:44