Downvoting to knock over the game board

neptuneblue

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 09:50 pm
@maxdancona,
Or...

You can start believing you don't get to tell people what to post on a discussion board.

You know, the 1st Amendment and all that jazz. Maybe you could could join us.

Again, maybe this isn't the place for you.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 09:55 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

Or...

You can start believing you don't get to tell people what to post on a discussion board.

You know, the 1st Amendment and all that jazz. Maybe you could could join us.

Again, maybe this isn't the place for you.

You are not getting rid of me, sweetheart. I have never said that you don't have the right to post here. I have never thumbed you down. I like interacting with you. You will not find a stronger defender of the First Amendment here than me.

But, I am not stepping into your narrow ideological bubble. And I suppose you won't step out of it either. But I had to try.

neptuneblue

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 09:58 pm
@maxdancona,
Step into whatever **** you want to. But quit ******* complaining that you smell bad.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 10:00 pm
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
Don't argue with Max.
You will both get dirty, but Max enjoys it.
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 01:55 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I agree with Lava on this one.

Having your posts collapsed by the angry mob doesn't just effect the angry mob, it means your posts will be collapsed for everyone. Maybe if this preference was "off" by default, then the angry mob could choose to opt in.

The intent of mass downthumbing isn't to disappear posts for this group. It is to make these posts disappear for everyone.

Reading through this thread, it would seem the only way to let political post-closers feel what they do to others is to downvote their posts in return, maybe just the ones that seem to take the most effort to write.

I hate to propose such a negative strategy, and I really don't want to waste my time voting posts down just to retaliate for being treated that way myself, but if people want to make it difficult for me to discuss my thoughts openly on the internet, then maybe all that's left for me to do is try to get others censored as well.

Is this where freedom of speech ends? In a war of competitive censorship?
Linkat

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 05:54 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I wish down thumbs were public so we could see if there were any posts where you disagree politically without thumbing it down.

I agree - I see no reason that you should not see who hits the down or up button. I do think though there are different reasons people use the thumbs - if someone clearly is writing something harmful you should vote it down just in case there is someone that is simply naivee and would follow these instructions.

And the up thumbs I like because it validates what a poster may be saying as in hey yeah I agree this is a good idea and can help someone else - instead of responding yeah good idea.
mark noble

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 06:00 am
@livinglava,
No - I 'downvote' Everything' I have no interest in.
It clears the foyer of clutter.

Calling it 'petty' - Means - IT PISSES YOU OFF!

Frustration is Ego-bound Arrogance. As you know.

Do 'Numbers/Views' = Ego-got-dopamine... Happy now?

Awesome hurdles ahead - Keep journeying, Sir.

Have a Lovely Day
Linkat

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 06:43 am
@mark noble,
Ah and here is another use - but isn't that for thread titles? That is how I use it. I think he is referring to actual comments people write.
mark noble

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 07:47 am
@Linkat,
If you log-in, go to 'New Topics' - You will, likely, Read the 'Newest' (Top of screen, Thread-Title) 1st.

Let's say it Reads 'How can I grow greener cucumbers?' And your interest in both the colour green, and the production of cucumbers is not very much.

If you 'thumb it down' you Don't have to read it EVER again.
It goes away.

A quality of a2k's. I conclude.

Have a Lovely Day
maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 07:50 am
@livinglava,
Quote:
Reading through this thread, it would seem the only way to let political post-closers feel what they do to others is to downvote their posts in return,

You really aren't paying attention (or reading the Bible).

The solution is to up-thumb them. Up-thumbs for everyone. This is very similar the solution Jesus suggests in the Sermon on the Mount; "Bless those who curse you".

The best strategy is to give everyone a thumb up whether we agree with them or not. It is a positive strategy. And it will work if people do it.
Linkat

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 07:53 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

If you log-in, go to 'New Topics' - You will, likely, Read the 'Newest' (Top of screen, Thread-Title) 1st.

Let's say it Reads 'How can I grow greener cucumbers?' And your interest in both the colour green, and the production of cucumbers is not very much.

If you 'thumb it down' you Don't have to read it EVER again.
It goes away.

A quality of a2k's. I conclude.

Have a Lovely Day

Yes that is what I am referring to - what max and some others are referring to is click on a particular answer to a post so there is a little up and down thumb right next below your name and next to reply - so you can up or down something that someone wrote in response.

Some people take this as a personal attack on what they wrote. That is what the complaining on the down thumbs what referencing - what you are referring to is the entire subject - which I agree can be very helpful you do not have any interest in a subject it "cleans" things up.
mark noble

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 07:59 am
@mark noble,
What I've also found is, once a thread has enlamed (Gone lame) itself, to the observers merit, whether by derailment or 'twilight zonification', ... 'Alt-derailment' - Thumbing-Down - Makes it Vanish. Kinda, end of, done with that.. so to say.

Views only feed the Ego (Self-importance)(PRIDE!).

LivingLava knows this - And his journey hence is amazing.
Have a Lovely Day
mark noble

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 08:12 am
@maxdancona,
Thumbing-down doesn't mean "I've read your Thread, and do not like it, or disagree.

It means - I DON'T HAVE ANY INTEREST IN YOUR FKNG CUCUMBERS!
Thumb-down=GONE........ Forever!

I grow cucumbers, btw - But have no interest in overgreening them - So would thumb-down.

Only Ego gives a **** about how firmly its self-reverence is attached to its reverers' (Worshippers) approval.

Have a Lovely Day
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 08:13 am
@Linkat,
There should be another rule...

You shouldn't be allowed to both down-thumb a thread, and down-thumb posts in the same thread. As soon as you down-thumb the thread, the down-thumbs you made of posts in the thread should be rescinded.

The patterns we see suggest that people are downthumbing threads, and then opening the thread back up to down thumb individual posts.... and that is kind of pathetic.
mark noble

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 08:20 am
@maxdancona,
I've Only just Noticed the 'IN-THREAD' Thumb-thingy. Wow!
Never used that function.

Never will either. It's Egofuel.

Have a Lovely Day
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 08:36 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
if someone clearly is writing something harmful you should vote it down just in case there is someone that is simply naivee and would follow these instructions.

You think that recommending yoga is dangerous medical advice.

Did you know anyone can do and/or recommend yoga without a prescription or a medical license?

Recommending yoga is thus not harmful. If someone knows not to try yoga because of their condition, they won't.

Now what is harmful is trying to justify sending kids to sports practices and events to transmit COVID19. That is harmful, but that doesn't justify downvoting your posts about it, i.e. because it is helpful for people to be able to read your question and the responses to it, including those that tell you it will cause transmission of COVID19 and thus harm.
livinglava

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 08:43 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
Reading through this thread, it would seem the only way to let political post-closers feel what they do to others is to downvote their posts in return,

You really aren't paying attention (or reading the Bible).

The solution is to up-thumb them. Up-thumbs for everyone. This is very similar the solution Jesus suggests in the Sermon on the Mount; "Bless those who curse you".

Rebuke is a blessing when it makes you aware of sin so you can change your ways.

There are many ways to rebuke. The question is what's in your heart. Do you rebuke people because you hate them and want to drive them into the ground; or do you want to help them see the light and change their ways?

Now, some people will claim they don't hate you, only your sin; or that they are rebuking you to help you change; but they are just saying that to justify hating you and attacking you as such. People aren't necessarily honest.

Quote:
The best strategy is to give everyone a thumb up whether we agree with them or not. It is a positive strategy. And it will work if people do it.

I've been upvoting things if I open them only to find something totally non-offensive has been voted down; but I don't really have time for all that; so it's probably easier to just figure out who the negative people are who do all the politically-motivated downvoting and just vote down their posts that seem to have taken the most effort. I know it's negative to retaliation in that way, but maybe they will stop downvoting others' good posts after it happens to them.
livinglava

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 08:46 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Views only feed the Ego (Self-importance)(PRIDE!).

LivingLava knows this - And his journey hence is amazing.
Have a Lovely Day

Thanks, but views are not about feeding ego unless you look at it that way.

You also need your posts open so people will read them as they scroll casually through a thread.

I wouldn't say I'm trying to propagate information the way someone like bobsal is with those totally ad-like images and cartoons he posts, but the reason I post thoughts on internet is to make them publicly available, not to have them hidden away in a drawer you have click to open.
neptuneblue

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 08:48 am
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:
You think that recommending yoga is dangerous medical advice.

What a mean spirited thing to say.

You admitted you didn't read Linkat's post yet decided you could give "advise" without even bothering to care about your response being applicable. It IS harmful to suggest yoga for a torn ACL.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 08:52 am
@livinglava,
Quote:
Rebuke is a blessing when it makes you aware of sin so you can change your ways.

I have given you rebukes on this forum (for example pointing out when you are being ridiculous).

Can you point out a time that you considered it a blessing?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 10:46:15