Downvoting to knock over the game board

Linkat

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 12:22 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

as i illustrated the other day, posts can be set to visible, regardless of vote tally ...

region - who would vote you down? There isn't a nicer fella - just had to up you
neptuneblue

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 12:28 pm
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:
Well, I probably won't actually downvote posts to try to get them below viewing threshold, but I say so to get people to realize that they don't want it to happen to their posts.

So, threatening an idle threat is laughable. Just do it or don't. Quit the complaining though.

livinglava wrote:
If I just wanted to 'increase my audience share," I would say whatever I thought would make more people read my posts.

What do you do now, post other people's opinions and facts as your own?

livinglava wrote:
Of course I want more people to read my posts and read them more thoroughly/deeply, but that is because I am trying to reach out with information that not too many people get, like, or receive well.

Who really cares? You? Do you really stay up late at night worrying who has read your posts and who hasn't?

livinglava wrote:
You could teach a class and only a few students would understand or care what you're talking about, let alone like it. So with the internet you have the ability to cast material over a much broader audience, only a small fraction of whom might benefit from reading what have to say.

This is just plain silly. You are NOT a teacher here, regardless how you see yourself. Get over yourself.

livinglava wrote:
So it matters when some censorial people down vote your posts "below viewing threshold" to prevent others who might benefit from reading something you posted from ever noticing it to begin with.

No, Lava, it does not matter to any one but you.
Linkat

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 12:31 pm
@neptuneblue,
Don't you know by now LL is all-knowing. She was put on this earth to educate us heathens.
neptuneblue

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 12:41 pm
@Linkat,
I'm glad it's free then. If I had to pay for that crap I'd ask for a refund plus interest on my idled time.
livinglava

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 12:42 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

livinglava wrote:
Well, I probably won't actually downvote posts to try to get them below viewing threshold, but I say so to get people to realize that they don't want it to happen to their posts.

So, threatening an idle threat is laughable. Just do it or don't. Quit the complaining though.

You are a person who craves conflict and violence. You use vulgarities without restraint. You can't just see that I am right to threaten people with downvoting their posts so they see what it's like, but that it is wrong to downvote "below viewing threshold" unless the post is utterly offensive, like some of yours that contain vulgarities, personal attacks, etc.

livinglava wrote:
If I just wanted to 'increase my audience share," I would say whatever I thought would make more people read my posts.

What do you do now, post other people's opinions and facts as your own?[/quote]
I post what I truly think, not what I think others want to hear/read.

Quote:
livinglava wrote:
Of course I want more people to read my posts and read them more thoroughly/deeply, but that is because I am trying to reach out with information that not too many people get, like, or receive well.

Who really cares? You? Do you really stay up late at night worrying who has read your posts and who hasn't?

I don't have to. I know how the world works and what each of us are doing to contribute to it intellectually.

Quote:
livinglava wrote:
You could teach a class and only a few students would understand or care what you're talking about, let alone like it. So with the internet you have the ability to cast material over a much broader audience, only a small fraction of whom might benefit from reading what have to say.

This is just plain silly. You are NOT a teacher here, regardless how you see yourself. Get over yourself.

Everyone teaches when they speak. You may not be aware of what you're teaching, but people who are paying attention to you are learning something, if nothing else from responding to what they dislike in what you say.

But fyi when I said, "you could teach a class and . . ." that was an example to illustrate a point, not a claim about whether I am a teacher or not. You have trouble reading things in context, like examples and analogies. Maybe you need a teacher.

Quote:
livinglava wrote:
So it matters when some censorial people down vote your posts "below viewing threshold" to prevent others who might benefit from reading something you posted from ever noticing it to begin with.

No, Lava, it does not matter to any one but you.

I really don't know if you fail to understand context or just spin it. I said it matters because it closes posts "below viewing threshold." That means as readers scroll through a thread, they are not going to be able to scan the content of downvoted posts.

Like I said, I should just start downvoting those of yours that you seem to be most invested in, so you can see that it matters. If it doesn't matter to you, stop arguing with me about it.
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 12:44 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Don't you know by now LL is all-knowing. She was put on this earth to educate us heathens.

What are you, a dark angel of sarcasm seeking to unleash the plague on the people of the Earth via sport?
Linkat

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 01:22 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

I'm glad it's free then. If I had to pay for that crap I'd ask for a refund plus interest on my idled time.

Its all fun - just don't take it seriously -
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 01:25 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

as i illustrated the other day, posts can be set to visible, regardless of vote tally ...

As I responded the other day. That doesn't fix the problem.

Imagine if any post suggesting that two men could love each other was hidden... but that anyone could click a link to see it. Would you make the same argument... that anyone who wanted to see posts suggesting that there was nothing wrong with same-sex relationships could find an option to see them. Or would you consider the automatic hiding of these posts to be discriminatory?

Do you see the problem?

I think it is hypocritical. You are OK with unpopular ideas being hidden in this way as long as they aren't your unpopular opinions.
Linkat

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 01:27 pm
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:

Linkat wrote:

What are you, a dark angel of sarcasm seeking to unleash the plague on the people of the Earth via sport?

Yes exactly !
Sturgis

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 01:34 pm
@maxdancona,
You never did well on those reading comprehension tests, did you?
There have been thread topics of interest to me and possibly others which have been heavily downthumbed. Innocuous topics even. It never dawned on me that the magical solution would be to go all weepy about it (as you have now, in several threads). So, how's your magic working maximillius?
Linkat

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 01:35 pm
@Linkat,
I might need to update my profile from below:

Quote:
Gluten Intolerant Chick (GIC) – I am a 42-year old women who has lived a hard life, now looking for revenge on the world. The best way to do so is to remove all the flour and wheat from the earth. Using my epic strength and ability to see what a child is doing behind my back (aka having eyes on the back of my head), I aim to eliminate my arch nemesis -- the Pillsbury Dough Boy and Chef Boyardee.

To:
dark angel of sarcasm seeking to unleash the plague on the people of the Earth via sport\

What do you think?
Sturgis

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 01:39 pm
@Linkat,
You might have noticed, this thread has been inundated with thumbs crushing the usually pleasant and hoisting the whiners to new heights.

If they have nothing better to do or say or any other way to salve their beings, then let 'em have their moment in the spotlight.

*the above opinion and statement are made by me and may just r may not agree with the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 01:41 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
There have been thread topics of interest to me and possibly others which have been heavily downthumbed. Innocuous topics even.

I doubt that. Can you give an example?
livinglava

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 01:42 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I might need to update my profile from below:

Quote:
Gluten Intolerant Chick (GIC) – I am a 42-year old women who has lived a hard life, now looking for revenge on the world. The best way to do so is to remove all the flour and wheat from the earth. Using my epic strength and ability to see what a child is doing behind my back (aka having eyes on the back of my head), I aim to eliminate my arch nemesis -- the Pillsbury Dough Boy and Chef Boyardee.

To:
dark angel of sarcasm seeking to unleash the plague on the people of the Earth via sport\

What do you think?

It depends on if you want your profile to be a sincere statement or something sarcastic.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 01:43 pm
@Linkat,
You will need to have a Sarcastic Dark Angel avatar.
I say, Go for it!
maxdancona

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 01:44 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis, whining about people he is calling "the whiners". I love irony!

I regret that I only have one up thumb to give.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 01:46 pm
@maxdancona,
I could but similar to a couple of others on the board, you'd think it was fake or intentionally thumbed down moments ago by that crew of members you have alleged follow me, izzy and glitter around.

(For the record maximillius, I have no crew)
Linkat

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 03:15 pm
@Sturgis,
Now isn't that ironic - a thread about downvoting has probably more thumbs going crazy than any other thread!

I just upped you - don't know why you have a negative - you pissed someone off.
Linkat

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 03:16 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

You will need to have a Sarcastic Dark Angel avatar.
I say, Go for it!

That would be really cool - I gotta look for one. I could re-invent my self!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 03:17 pm
@Sturgis,
Its odd I have been called part of a gang - strangely with someone I have disagreed with in the past.

I have no crew members - other than my dogs - they are the only ones that listen to me.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 08:16:31