Voting abuse fix being worked on

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 03:16 pm
Someone has been using different IPs and a lot of time to abuse voting here, these votes will be removed and this will be made harder to do.

I wish we had time for a more comprehensive solution but that will have to wait.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 20 • Views: 5,061 • Replies: 99

jespah

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 03:45 pm
Thank you very much.
Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 03:55 pm
I second that--thank you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 05:28 pm
@Robert Gentel,
thank you
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 05:34 pm
How about abuse where a group of liberals vote down all posts by a conservative no matter what they say (even in non-political threads)?

It wouldn't matter so much if posts with a -5 rating were hidden by default.
dlowan

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 08:39 pm
@jespah,
What an amazing thing to spend so much time and energy on! It’s almost impressive in a weird way.....like making pictures out of flyspeck.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 10:18 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Greatly appreciated, as is all the time you and others invest in this site.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 10:34 pm
@Sturgis,
I would also like to thank you for the effort you put into this site and the opportunity to connect with old cyber pals.....Some of these folks I've known for 20 years....We mourn our pals that aren't with us anymore and a few have thankfully remained from site to site and settled in here.

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 05:34 am
That is such an odd and deluded behavior. And, damn, what a waste of the individual's time. It's not merely silly, it verges on the disturbed. I almost never utilize the thumb up/down feature and when I do, it is usually as a corrective for vote manipulation. My computer time is valuable. I want to read, to attend to musical performances, to listen to smart people speaking, to pull out the bottle of baby oil and study photographs of chubby Welsh milkmaids dancing naked but for the bells on their ankles and wrists. There's time more wisely spent.

PS... Billy Connelly has a related question and answer.
Q - "Why do Morris dancers wear bells on their ankles?"
A - "So they can bore blind people too"
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 05:50 am
@Robert Gentel,
Can we make votes public? For example, if you click the number, you can see a list of all the people who down voted the post.

There are sites that do this (e.g. DailyKos), it works pretty well.
Ragman

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 08:39 am
@Robert Gentel,
When I look back at 20 years of participation history here (and counting), I look fwd hopefully to improvement (like disabling down-thumbing) and the possibility of the continuation of the forum's community.

Here's a thought: Why not eliminate all negative voting or down-thumbing and only have positive or up-thumbing?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 09:18 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

How about abuse where a group of liberals vote down all posts by a conservative no matter what they say (even in non-political threads)?

It wouldn't matter so much if posts with a -5 rating were hidden by default.

Please don't be disingenuous. I upvote your movie related posts. I suspect you don't upvote nonpolitical posts of other members when you come across them (despite they might be liberal or conservative or outright Martian).

1. You can't assume that singular OCD psycho thumbing your posts in these liberals or conservative. Whomever they are? They literally never post in these threads. And yes. They're frakking asshole hypocrites who need to address their own personal mental health issues.
2. There's a difference between this and voting nonpolitical posts 4 or more times.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 09:20 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Can we make votes public? For example, if you click the number, you can see a list of all the people who down voted the post.

There are sites that do this (e.g. DailyKos), it works pretty well.

You can make them public ... but what then? Most of them will likely be fake accounts. They're making fake accounts so they can shamelessly continue with this trolling massacre of the forum.
oralloy

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 09:36 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Please don't be disingenuous.
How it is disingenuous to complain about being the target of mass downvotes?

tsarstepan wrote:
I upvote your movie related posts.
Many thanks.

tsarstepan wrote:
I suspect you don't upvote nonpolitical posts of other members when you come across them (despite they might be liberal or conservative or outright Martian).
I upvote both political and non-political posts from most people who have been downvoted, including people and posts that I strongly disagree with. The only exceptions are if that person has been a massive creep towards me. Many times I first upvote a post, and then post a strong disagreement with the post that I just upvoted.

I don't go patrolling threads just to vote on posts though. Only as I read along. So if there is a thread that I never post in, chances are good that I haven't upvoted anything in that thread.

tsarstepan wrote:
1. You can't assume that singular OCD psycho thumbing your posts in these liberals or conservative. Whomever they are? They literally never post in these threads.
I concur that most of the mass downvoters are not regular posters. I don't actually know, but my instincts tell me that.

However most of the downvote abuse is targeted directly at conservatives. I think it is a reasonable assumption that the downvotes come from liberals who dislike conservatives.
oralloy

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 09:41 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
You can make them public ... but what then? Most of them will likely be fake accounts. They're making fake accounts so they can shamelessly continue with this trolling massacre of the forum.
"Oralloy likes this post" and "oralloy dislikes this post" might carry more meaning than "unknown name #6098374 dislikes this post".

Of course, if there are still vote tallies, the unknown voters could still influence the count. But does there have to be vote tallies? Just a list of the names of who likes and dislikes a given post will allow people to express their approval and disapproval.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 09:44 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

However most of the downvote abuse is targeted directly at conservatives. I think it is a reasonable assumption that the downvotes come from liberals who dislike conservatives.

I see no such obvious trend. Perhaps that is your own paranoid projection?I just did a brief a random poke into threads that are voted down and observed several down-thumbs affecting members such as Region P. and Walter H, who are hardly viewed as conservatives.

In fact, based on my observations, I see quite the opposite...especially the 5-vote-disappearing-post dynamics.

No matter what the case, it is the misguided attempt or implied pressure to make this forum a far less desirable community for those who frequent it -mainly because they're of some sort of loony tunes anti-social. They may be trying to influence removal of voting capability or shrink the community by shitting all over it.

No matter what, they've gotten the negative attention they desperately seek.Thinking that they can get away with it for as long as they want. Hopefully Robert will soon work out a fix.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 10:10 am
@Ragman,
I second Oralloy. You might not notice it, Ragman, because you don't annoy the correct people.

There is a group here (Setanta, Glitterbag, Izzy, Chai et. al.) who like to think they run things. When they get upset with a user, that user will get down thumbed on even non-controversial posts. Anyone who has been targeted by them definitely notices it.

My suggestion of public thumbs will help with this type of thumb abuse.
Ragman

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 10:33 am
@maxdancona,
sniff...sniff and I always thought I was annoying to all sorts of persuasions of the political spectrum. I need to work harder on that.

Seriously, IMHO, I don't think it is a focused effort on targeting conservatives ... or perhaps there's more than one campaign and by more than one loony tunes. Gawd knows we have more than our share of them. The effort to thumb down non-controversial threads seems directed to making the whole Forum a less than desirable place to hang out. This behavior is not necessarily one of a political junkie...just a junkie.
oralloy

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 10:33 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
There is a group here (Setanta, Glitterbag, Izzy, Chai et. al.) who like to think they run things. When they get upset with a user, that user will get down thumbed on even non-controversial posts. Anyone who has been targeted by them definitely notices it.
I strongly believe that Setanta and Chai do not participate in any votedown abuse.

I would guess that Glitterbag does not participate in votedown abuse either, although I don't have strong feelings on that.

I believe that izzythepush (note that there are other izzys here on a2k, so it is better to be specific) used to participate in votedown abuse. However, I am unsure if he still does this.

I believe that most of the votedown abusers are not people who post actively.

I of course have no evidence for any of this. But I claim higher than average skill at drawing conclusions.

It is certainly reasonable to conclude however that the same things that irritate the "in crowd" as you call them, also irritate the downvoters whoever they are.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 10:34 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
Seriously, IMHO, I don't think it is a focused effort on targeting conservatives ...
Well, there is.