Trump (threatens) to move Republican convention if North Carolina won't allow packed arena.

roger

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2020 11:09 pm
@glitterbag,
Smile
glitterbag

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2020 11:12 pm
@roger,
Cool
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 09:37 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Time for North Carolina to tell Trump that they will not agree to his demands...and ask them to move their convention to a state that will.

Yeah, the state will lose some bucks. But sometimes, that is the better alternative.

Ohio won't take it...

Gov. Mike DeWine: Republican National Convention couldn't be held in Ohio today

Jackie Borchardt, Cincinnati EnquirerPublished 12:52 p.m. ET May 28, 2020 | Updated 4:28 p.m. ET May 28, 2020

COLUMBUS – Ohio hosted the Republican National Convention four years ago in Cleveland.

Could that convention happen today in the middle of the coronavirus pandemic?

Gov. Mike DeWine said no, not at this moment.

“We couldn’t have that kind of a mass gathering and have it be considered safe,” DeWine said Thursday.

But he also said the situation could improve in the coming months.

"The world is going to fundamentally change between now and then," DeWine said. "We just don’t know how it’s going to change. We don’t know where this virus Is going to be. We continue to learn things about this virus every single day."

The RNC is set for Aug. 24-27 in Charlotte, North Carolina. DeWine said whether he and his wife Fran, both delegates, attend the convention will depend on the situation at that point.

Ohio banned gatherings of more than 100 people on March 12 and later limited gatherings to 10 people. That limit is still in place.

Testing expanded
Ohio has one of the worst testing rates in the country and is testing far fewer people than the state's capacity.

DeWine announced two new steps Thursday to increase access to testing.

First, state health officials are expanding the criteria to get a coronavirus test. Testing has been prioritized for people who were sick, health care workers and people in congregate living facilities such as nursing homes.

DeWine said that criteria will be expanded to people in the general public who have symptoms who do not meet the other criteria.

Second, the Ohio Board of Pharmacy has clarified that pharmacists can recommend and administer coronavirus tests. Previously, people needed a doctor's order to get tested.

The state's coronavirus website, coronavirus.ohio.gov, now has a map of testing sites statewide. The sites include pharmacies such as CVS and community health centers.

Outdoor visitation for some congregate settings
DeWine said the state plans to lift prohibitions on visitors in congregate settings in phases. First up: outdoor visits at assisted living facilities and intermediate care facilities for developmentally disabled Ohioans starting June 8.

DeWine said he's not ready to allow visitation at nursing homes.

Visitors have been prohibited at long-term care facilities since March 17. That prohibition makes exceptions for end-of-life situations.

There have been 5,324 COVID-19 cases and 1,073 deaths among residents in nusring homes and other long-term care facilities since April 15, according to the state's Wednesday update. That's 195 newly reported deaths since the previous week. The Ohio Department of Health has said 369 residents died before April 15.

That brings the total to 1,442 – about 71% of the state's total confirmed and probable deaths.

Widespread testing of all nursing home staff members is expected to begin next week, DeWine said.

Local fair guidelines
The Ohio State Fair has been canceled, but decisions for county and independent fairs will be made by local authorities.

DeWine said safety rules and recommendations for fairs will be released Thursday. The rules will allow fairs to hold limited livestock shows and competitions.

“I certainly hope that every fair will be able to find a way, maybe unique to their particular fair, to allow 4-H, FFH and their junior fair,” DeWine said.

More: Butler County Fair cancels over COVID-19: Here's what other Ohio and NKY fairs are planning

Case counts
As of Thursday, there have been 33,915 total cases of COVID-19, including 2,290 probable cases diagnosed without a positive viral test. That’s 476 more cases than Wednesday.

Cumulatively, 5,811 people have been hospitalized at one point. An estimated 812 were currently hospitalized on Thursday, according to the Ohio Hospital Association.

A total of 2,098 deaths, including 210 probable deaths, have been reported. Of those, 54 were newly reported since Wednesday.

Thursday’s newly reported cases were below the 21-day average daily increase, while zations, intensive care unit admissions and deaths were above the 21-day averages.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 10:10 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

You're right, Rev is good people, I withdraw Kentucky and volunteer Mississippi.

As long as Mitch McConnell, Trump, Pompeo, Barr, and Lindsey Graham attend, they could hold it in Hell...and it would be okay with me.

But I would prefer that it be held in as small a venue as can accommodate them...as long as it is dusty.
engineer

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 01:11 pm
Saw an article today saying the state Republican Party is looking to do the admin work in Charlotte and schedule a big coronation event somewhere else.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 01:16 pm
@engineer,
Could they squeeze them all in the bunker?
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 01:19 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Trump, Pompeo, Barr,

Do not belong with those two Rinos.
revelette1

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 01:28 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I started to react to Kentucky - then I remembered that it's revelette that's from Kentucky. Don't let her get hold of your throat.

Hey, I never thought I was so fierce. Thanks. I puffed up for a minute there.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 01:34 pm
@glitterbag,
Ky seems to be on an encouraging track, we elected a democrat Governor, Amy McGrath seems to be holding her own ok, will be surprised if she gets it though. Also, for KY, there seems to be a few protest planned for KY in my surrounding area for George Floyd. Proof will be pudding. I am hoping all turns out well with no opposing side coming to the protest armed to the teeth.
roger

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 01:49 pm
@revelette1,
Mitch. You forgot to mention Mitch.
revelette1

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 01:53 pm
@roger,
If Amy McGrath beats Mitch McConnell, even if somehow Trump wins again, by fair or foul means, I would jump for joy. I just don't hold my breath. I remember I was real hopeful last time, it looked encouraging, but she lost. She must be better funded, she is giving more commercials.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 10:19 am
Why Republicans aren't likely to move their convention out of Charlotte.

Published June 6, 2020

Quote:
President Trump's threat to move this year's Republican National Convention out of Charlotte, N.C., in the midst of a global pandemic has those who organized previous conventions scratching their heads over just how the GOP would overcome the almost insurmountable logistical hurdles of throwing together one of the biggest events on the quadrennial calendar in just two months.

In a tweet Tuesday, Trump said North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper's (D) restrictions on the number of people who could participate in the convention meant Republicans "are now forced to seek another State to host the 2020 Republican National Convention."

Trump and the Republican National Committee (RNC) have deployed site selection teams to several cities that might serve as alternate sites for the president's renomination, including Jacksonville, Fla., Nashville, Tenn., Dallas, Phoenix, New Orleans and Savannah, Ga.

But veterans of conventions past say it is almost certain that Republicans will have to keep the bulk of their convention activities in the Queen City. Even before the logistical nightmare that would be setting up an entirely new convention in just two months, the party has already sunk millions of dollars into building the infrastructure necessary to run a modern convention and committed to spending millions more through contracts that cannot be broken.

"The RNC's Executive Committee has voted unanimously to allow the official business of the national convention to continue in Charlotte. Many other cities are eager to host the president's acceptance of the nomination, and we are currently in talks with several of them to host that celebration," Michael Ahrens, the RNC's communications director, said in a statement.

An RNC spokesperson said the party is confident it could set up a convention in just two months.

"We have a highly skilled team and many states are eager for the revenue and economic advantages that this celebration will bring," the spokesperson said in an email.

But organizing a political convention is a massive undertaking, one that takes two years or more and costs tens of millions of dollars. The logistics range from the mundane task of assigning delegations to specific hotels and then organizing bus routes that can deliver them to an arena to the physical design and construction of platforms, stages and sight lines that will deliver the best optics for what is in effect a four-day infomercial for a political party's nominee and its rising stars.

"All of these just take an enormous amount of planning and community bandwidth. It is every bit of the full two years of planning," said David Gilbert, who ran Cleveland's host committee in the run-up to the 2016 convention where Trump was nominated. "It's one of the largest events that takes place every four years in the country in terms of numbers of people, and it probably is the most intricate when it comes to security planning."

Behind the scenes, the Secret Service long ago deployed a special team to a host site to coordinate with local and state law enforcement, and Congress appropriates tens of millions of dollars to ensure the safety of delegates, party leaders, volunteers and the protesters who are sure to show up.

"Let's be clear: It is simply not feasible to replicate the efforts needed, in a new city and in just two months' time, to put on a convention that would look or feel in any way similar to today's modern nominating meetings," said Clark Jennings, who directed operations at the 2012 Democratic convention.

"Producing these complex events requires an enormous scale of sophisticated planning and intergovernmental coordination, the buildout of niche infrastructure within the convention hall and across the host city, and the negotiation of hundreds, if not thousands, of contracts to provide housing and transportation, alone, for the tens of thousands of delegates, elected officials, media, supporting staff and volunteers that descend on a convention city," he added.

Then there is the matter of the 15,000 members of the media who descend on a convention city. Those reporters, producers and anchors require the space to report and file their stories, the camera angles to capture the action and, in some cases, the VIP facilities, some custom-built, to woo potential advertisers and elected officials coming in for interviews.

A senior staffer at the 2012 Republican convention recalled having to move a television network's camera two days before the convention began, a seemingly simple task that became a substantial headache.

"The retrofitting of the arena, alone, to turn it into the equivalent of a custom-designed combination movie set, media and communications studio, [and] political rally takes many months. The amount of fiber-optic cabling that gets installed into a convention arena is extraordinary and takes significant time," Jennings said. "Rome wasn't built in a day; neither can a convention hall in 2020."

Several veterans of recent conventions said organizers now have to factor in a significant new challenge: accommodating the monumental internet bandwidth required not just to allow the media to broadcast the speeches and hoopla but also to let delegates and visitors broadcast through their own social media channels.

While no one was tweeting or Instagramming the 2000 or 2004 convention, every moment of this year's events will be captured and broadcast on smartphones and tablets.

"The amount of news that came out through social channels compared to four years before was significantly exponential, and I'm sure now in 2020 it's exponentially ahead of what it was in 2016," Gilbert said. "You can't afford [Wi-Fi networks] to go down."

A Republican familiar with the Trump campaign said they have trouble with bandwidth at the Make America Great Again rallies that have become Trump's signature.

Organizing committees in Charlotte as well as Milwaukee, which plans to host the Democratic National Convention in mid-August, have spent two years or more raising money from the local business community and recruiting volunteers who will make the buses run on time. Duplicating those efforts in the space of a few months seems equally difficult.

The benefits to a host city are substantial, both in economic activity and in the coverage they get from reporters looking for stories outside the arena where the festivities take place. Gilbert said Cleveland estimated it received $180 million in economic activity during the convention week in 2016 and from a residual glow of positive news coverage for the city itself.

"We benefited from hundreds and hundreds of articles about Cleveland, a city that has battled perception issues for several decades," he said.

But Charlotte and Milwaukee face substantially new challenges in the age of the coronavirus. Case counts are rising in both North Carolina and Wisconsin; North Carolina recorded 1,200 new confirmed cases on a single day this week, its worst day during the outbreak so far.

Most agree that Republicans will conduct the actual business of the convention in Charlotte as planned. If Trump remains unhappy with Cooper's limited capacity requirements, he may decide instead to hold the equivalent of a MAGA rally on the day when he is expected to deliver the traditional address accepting his party's nomination.

It is not yet clear what would happen to the delegates who have arrived in Charlotte to conduct their party's business, those most dedicated party activists who want to cheer on the president. The RNC spokesperson declined to address how or whether delegates would be moved to a new city to hear Trump speak.

But so late in the game, few believe starting anew is a viable option.

"You really can't put two years of detailed planning in two months. And not just the planning, the execution," Gilbert said. "The time it takes to transform a regular sports arena into what typically is done in the staging and platform for what has been a typical political convention really can't be done in two months, the change to the physical space."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/why-republicans-arent-likely-to-move-their-convention-out-of-charlotte/ar-BB159v8U?ocid=UE13DHP
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 10:25 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
Trump, Pompeo, Barr,

Do not belong with those two Rinos.

Trump, Pompeo, and Barr belong in the lowest circle of Hell with all the other human monsters who have dishonored humankind. But I was not talking about where or with whom they belong.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 10:29 am
@Frank Apisa,

Quote:
Trump, Pompeo, and Barr belong in the lowest circle of Hell with all the other human monsters who have dishonored humankind.

That is where Muhammad is. They do not belong with Muhammad, Obama does. All of this drama attached to your irrational hatred cannot be good for you.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 11:09 am
I hate to say what I am about to say, you might very well think, why say it if you hate it? But, I think it needs admitting.

I am 100% in favor of the protestors of Floyd's death and racial injustice and our country does need a kick in pants to actually do something big nation wide to fix it however we can.

Having said, watching all those protestors during this Pandemic which is still raging despite the whole world opening back up, I think to myself, isn't there a more safe way to protest which would get as much attention? I am not sure what that way would be, but all of them are running a huge risk to themselves and their very communities most of which has suffered the most deaths in this Pandemic.

So now car races and other controversial crowd packed activities are using the crowds at the protests to justify their own crowds. What kind of answer is there in return, such as the one this thread is about?
engineer

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 11:26 am
@revelette1,
I think it comes down to risk vs benefit. The protesters are saying the benefit of speaking out outweighs the health risk and the government seems to agree. The RNC says the benefits of a giant convention outweigh the health risk. The NC government disagrees but other governments are going along.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2020 11:45 am
@engineer,
Quote:
The protesters are saying the benefit of speaking out outweighs the health risk and the government seems to agree.

You mean the government of these cities are letting people burn and loot and murder. There are no benefits from any of those actions. Unless you are a Communist and need to control the streets when it is law enforcement's job.
0 Replies