49th boundary between US and Canada

tintin

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:23 am
what is 49th boundary between US and Canada ? what is that ? is that a wall or jungle or volcano or what it is ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,518 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:25 am
A line on a map.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:26 am
It is an unarmed, peaceful, invisible line of latitude that separates two great countries.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:43 am
Well . . . one anyway . . .

(Alright, quick Intrepid, exploit the opening . . . )
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:54 am
ohh, thats why i did not find any image in google's image search . i also did not get any info from google's web search too.

BTW, why it is 49 th ? why this peculiar name ? is there any history behind it ?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:54 am
No need Setanta. The world can be the decider.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:56 am
tintin wrote:
ohh, thats why i did not find any image in google's image search . i also did not get any info from google's web search too.

BTW, why it is 49 th ? why this peculiar name ? is there any history behind it ?

The 49th parallel of north latitude forms part of the international boundary between Canada and the United States from Manitoba to British Columbia on the Canadian side and from Minnesota to Washington on the U.S. side. Its use as a border is a result of the Anglo-American Convention of 1818 and the Oregon Treaty of 1846.

After the United States acquired the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, it was generally agreed that the boundary between it and British Rupert's Land was along the watershed between the Missouri River and Mississippi River basins on one side and the Hudson Bay basin on the other. However, it is difficult to precisely determine the location of a watershed in a region of level plains, such as in central North America. The British and American committees that met after the War of 1812 to resolve boundary disputes recognized there would be much animosity in surveying the watershed boundary, and agreed on a simpler solution in 1818: the 49th parallel. Both sides gained and lost some territory by this convention, but the United States gained more than it lost, in particular securing title to the Red River Basin. This convention established the boundary only between the Lake of the Woods and the Rocky Mountains; west of the Rockies, the convention established joint occupation of the Oregon Country by both parties. A geographical oversight resulted in the creation of the Northwest Angle.

Although the Convention of 1818 settled the boundary from the point of view of the non-Aboriginal powers, neither the United Kingdom nor the United States was immediately sovereign over the territories on its side of the line: effective control still rested with the local nations, mainly the Métis, Assiniboine, Lakota and Blackfoot. Their sovereignty was gradually ceded by conquest and treaty during the several decades that followed.

In 1844, part of James K. Polk's platform in his presidential run was that the northern border of the Oregon Territory should be 54°40′; he even had a campaign slogan of "Fifty-Four Forty or Fight". However, with the Mexican-American war starting in 1846, the military was needed elsewhere and this goal was not achieved.

In 1846 the Oregon Treaty divided the Oregon Country between British North America and the United States by extending the 49th parallel boundary to the west coast, ending at the Strait of Georgia; it then circumvents Vancouver Island through the Strait of Juan de Fuca. This had the side-effect of isolating Point Roberts, Washington.

Although parts of Vancouver Island and much of Eastern Canada are located south of the 49th parallel, and parts of the United States (Alaska, Northwest Angle) are located north of it, the term 49th parallel is sometimes used as a nickname for the entire Canada-U.S. border. This can be misleading, since many of Canada's most populated regions are well south of the 49th parallel, including the two largest cities Toronto (44° north) and Montreal (46° north) and the capital Ottawa (45° north) -- as are the three Maritime provinces.
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:57 am
its peculiar to me about this name 49th. why not 50 th, why not 60 th or like that ? sorry, i dont know why this peculiar name ......there must be some reason...do you know ?
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:58 am
ohh, you are too fast ! let me read your content . thank you
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 06:02 am
Hand them over right now. Well, maybe not Toronto, you can have that, but all the rest are ours. Oh, and take Stevens and Alaska for all I care, okay?

By close of business tomorrow or we come get McGill University.

Joe(mad for land)Nation
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 06:04 am
We will be waiting with sling shots and strong beer
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 06:11 am
You can keep Montréal with its mealy-mouthed Anglais, but i want Tarrana . . .
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 06:14 am
my god , you have unravelled the whole history. beautiful!

i have one more question

i want to know what is "olympic gold order" ? i have heard of "olympic gold medal" but never heard of "olymic gold order" . i have read many political personalities has been the recipient of this award.

i just want to know, why this award is given ? is it for social affairs ? is it for best political achievements or what ? (becoz those political people have not participated in olymic games but they got it !!)
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 07:30 am
The Olympic order is associated with athletics. The Olympic Gold Medal is for placing first.

The Olympic order is given to those who have achieved remarkable merit in the sports world, or have rendered outstanding services to the Olympic cause, either through personal achievement or to the development of sport.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 09:04 am
tintin,
Are we doing your homework for you?
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 09:40 am
mysteryman wrote:
tintin,
Are we doing your homework for you?

i dont understand what prompted you to think like this.No, this is not a homework question. i am a voracious reader and a working man. i like to read quiz books , GK, current events and newspapers. i have very limited knowledge. of course, i am strong in my field. Nobody can learn everything but if he/she wishes can enlarge his domain of knowledge. i am asking you frankly, do you know everything ? do you wish to know unknown things ?

i did not find any answer to this question so i posted here. i did not find any web search result which could give some answer . and i was exhausted and felt uncomfortable. i specifically mentioed that in my post .i found this forum at last. i am happy that i have got some answer. thats beautiful to me and its a good experience talking with you people.

have a look at my question. does it look like a homework ? even if you feel anybody is posting some homework question there are ways to answer. How ? here are the ways.....

1) providing a link which would be relevant to the poster and tell him/her to study the link.

2) Giving some hints to the question.

thank you guys for taking time to answer my question.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 09:45 am
Personally, tintin, I consider the day lost if I do not learn something new. Knowledge is a beautiful thing and something to be shared. By sharing, we all get to know a bit more. Take no nevermind of mysteryman. Post your questions and we will attempt to answer them.
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 10:07 am
Intrepid wrote:
Personally, tintin, I consider the day lost if I do not learn something new. Knowledge is a beautiful thing and something to be shared. By sharing, we all get to know a bit more. Take no nevermind of mysteryman. Post your questions and we will attempt to answer them.

believe me sir, this is not homework. i want to improve myself. there are many many things i dont know. i buy GK books, current affairs,magazines and read those things. i have a computer background, i am comfortable with that ........how can i understand those economics, market policy, or crucial political or legal system ? those are also books. people have written volumnous books on those subjects . they too have some importance in our society. if i can grasp a little that would be my pleasure. very nice talking to you. i am glad that i am in a good company.

thank you
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 10:10 am
Tintin, what are GK books?

In fairness to Mysteryman, we do often get school children here who just want someone to write their papers for them. I'm sure he meant no harm.

Welcome to our monkey house, i hope you will stay and become one of the family.

Get a picture of Tin-Tin to use as your avatar picture, then we'll all see you right away.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 10:14 am
Welcome to Able2Know, tintin.

It's great to find someone asking questions about Canada occasionally. There aren't a lot of Canadians on the site, but those of us here love to talk about our beautiful country.
0 Replies