Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 03:57 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 736 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 04:05 am
I would say that 'bellybutton' is used to show that the writer is actually on the water - not just flying over it or travelling in a speedboat.

It would be that either you're up to your navel in the water or lying in the canoe you're navel would be very close to the level of the akes.

'Accessible by liquid' is just like you say, 'by water'. The writer is just too enthusiastic.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 12:37 pm
Your "bellybutton" is your navel. When you are sitting in a canoe your eyes would be about waist-level to someone standing on the surface of the water (as if that were possible). Hence, he is seeing the surface of the lake from the level of someone's bellybutton.

I infer "canoe" from "paddling" -- you paddle a canoe, you row a rowboat.

In larger, power boats one is often higher from the surface of the lake.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 02:40 pm
If i had a wife
The plague of me life
I'll tell ya what i would do
I'd buy her boat
And put her afloat
And paddle me own canoe . . .
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 12:42 am
to understand from the bellybutton level: From your explanation, I think the author means his experience of dropping into the water and get drown. I don't know if this understanding is right.

akes: I can't find this work in my dictionary, can you explain?

depart thinking: And another question: What does "depart thinking" mean? Do the sentense mean to come to play, and go back home with the thought of knowing the Tahoe Lake?

Thank you.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 04:16 am
translatorcz wrote:
akes: I can't find this work in my dictionary, can you explain? Thank you.

I cannot apologise enough. The word should have been 'Lakes', a large body of fresh water - I did not spell it correctly, my fault entirely.
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 05:23 am
translatorcz wrote:
to understand from the bellybutton level: From your explanation, I think the author means his experience of dropping into the water and get drown. I don't know if this understanding is right.

akes: I can't find this work in my dictionary, can you explain?

depart thinking: And another question: What does "depart thinking" mean? Do the sentense mean to come to play, and go back home with the thought of knowing the Tahoe Lake?

Thank you.

Ok, Wy and Setanta, I don't quite understand you in the beginning. As I know what you mean, I realize your information is too very helpful. So I know the meaning of "bellybutton level" here. Thank you.

And do you know the meaning of "depart thinking" as I mentioned above?
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 09:16 am
translatorcz wrote:
And do you know the meaning of "depart thinking" as I mentioned above?

"Thinking" begins the present participle phrase, "thinking they know the lake. In context, "depart thinking" means that they leave with the belief (that they know the lake).
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 01:09 pm
Sorry, translatorcz, what don't you understand? That "bellybutton" is slang for a person's navel?

In no way did the author get into the water, get wet, or drown. He paddled a canoe around the lake, with his eyes about as high above the water as a person's bellybutton, or navel, or waist.

It was a silly (and apparently confusing) way for him to say that he saw the lake from a perspective others do not -- if they come to gamble, or ski, or camp they do not get as close to the shore of the lake as he did.

And Setanta was being wonderfully silly himself. Those are the words to an old Irish song.
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 09:57 pm
Ok, I get it. Thank all of you.
0 Replies