8
   

News Analysis: Trump's (obsession) with Obama turns two-way race into a three-way tangle.

 
 
Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 07:23 pm
News Analysis:
Trump's obsession with Obama turns two-way race into a three-way tangle.


Published May 21, 2020


Quote:
Not within its living quarters but, rather, inside President Donald Trump’s head.

In a barrage remarkable even by Trump’s norm-demolishing standards, the nation’s 45th chief executive has spent a good deal of time lately savaging the 44th.

Suddenly, a two-way race has turned into a three-way tangle.

That may have been somewhat inevitable, seeing as how Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic nominee, spent eight years in the White House as Obama’s vice president; an attack on Obama is, by extension, a blow struck against his good friend and former workmate.

But political calculation aside, the volume of attacks from the president and the level of personal vitriol are of a wholly different order, transcending the usual partisan sniping. Among Obama’s trespasses, Trump has accused him — without substantiation or much clarity — of committing “the biggest political crime and scandal in the history of the USA, by FAR.”

Trump backers might argue that Obama started the latest round of vituperation.

In a conference call this month with alumni of his administration, the former president described Trump’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic as “an absolute chaotic disaster” and criticized the Justice Department for saying it would drop its criminal case against former national security advisor Michael Flynn.

“That’s the kind of stuff where you begin to get worried that basic — not just institutional norms — but our basic understanding of rule of law is at risk,” Obama said. With 3,000 people dialing in, he must have known his remarks were bound to leak.

Trump’s eruption soon followed and his molten rage has scarcely let up. In a barrage of Tweets and television appearances, he accused Obama of abusing his office and operating the most inept and corrupt administration ever. “OBAMAGATE makes Watergate look small time!” he wrote, offering a hazy theory implicating the former president in Flynn’s prosecution.

Obama, for his part, has not hidden the contempt he feels toward his successor, though people within his orbit say he does not exhibit the same consuming animus that Trump apparently harbors.

Obama was almost clinically detached in a recent address to graduating students, telling them the pandemic “has fully, finally torn back the curtain on the idea that so many of the folks in charge know what they’re doing.” He never spoke Trump’s name and apparently shows the same equanimity in private.

“In my conversations with him, he is surprisingly unbothered by Trump’s persistent attacks,” said David Axelrod, one of the architects of Obama’s rise to the White House. The former president understands Trump’s political motivations, Axelrod said — riling his base, drawing attention from the pandemic — and has never resorted to name-calling. “He’s just not that thin-skinned.”

Axelrod and others said Obama’s public restraint should not be mistaken, however, for a reluctance to engage. “All in,” were the words they used to describe his commitment to the fall campaign.

Throughout his time in office, Trump has harbored a raw and unbridled contempt for his predecessor, seeking to undermine or undo just about anything he, or former First Lady Michelle Obama, touched.

In the popular telling, Trump’s hostility goes back to 2011 and the annual White House Correspondents’ Association dinner.

For years, Trump had actively promoted the canard that Obama was born in Africa and, thus, ineligible to be president. Obama responded with a scathing comedic monologue, painting “The Donald” as a kooky peddler of conspiracy theories and a buffoon whose only leadership experience was axing B-list personalities from his reality show, “Celebrity Apprentice.”

“These are the kind of decisions that would keep me up at night,” Obama said dryly. “Well handled, sir, well handled.”

Trump, a guest of the Washington Post, smiled tight-lipped as a ballroom’s worth of Beltway grandees laughed uproariously at his expense.

In fact, said biographer Michael D’Antonio, “Trump was predisposed to hate a guy like Obama” — a sentiment that has only deepened since his election to the presidency placed them side-by-side for comparison.

“There’s a physical grace that Obama has that Trump has never had,” D’Antonio said. “There’s an ease in every situation that Trump must envy.”

Moreover, because Trump is someone who “values enemies more than friends,” D’Antonio went on, Obama serves a particularly useful function.

Trump’s reelection strategy is based almost entirely on energizing and motivating his supporters to turn out in November, rather than winning converts. Few offer a greater spur to the polls than the president’s predecessor.

The same could be said for many Democrats, who continue to revere Obama.

With his party’s nominating fight over, Obama is in regular touch with Biden and members of his political team and said to be eager to campaign not just for his former vice president but Democrats seeking to win control of the Senate and keep their majority in the House.

People familiar with the former president’s plans cited his performance during the 2018 midterm elections as a template for Obama’s intended approach.

He was scathing at times. “How hard can that be? Saying that Nazis are bad?” Obama gibed in his first campaign speech as a former president, referring to Trump’s good-people-on-both-sides response to violence at a 2017 white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Va.

But Obama did not personalize their differences, or offer a tit-for-tat response to Trump’s taunts.

Even recently, after the president repeatedly inveighed against Obama, accusing him of criminal conspiracy and operating “the most corrupt administration in U.S. history!” the response was measured and notably succinct.

Obama waited several days, then tweeted a single word: “VOTE.”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/elections-2020/news-analysis-trumps-obsession-with-obama-turns-two-way-race-into-a-three-way-tangle/ar-BB14q2h8?ocid=UE13DHP
 
coldjoint
 
  -3  
Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 08:32 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:
Trump's obsession with Obama turns two-way race into a three-way tangle.

Projection at its best. Obama's obsession with destroying the Trump presidency is what caused this crap. The facts are all on Trump's side.

Nice try.
0 Replies
 
Frank Apisa
 
  7  
Reply Fri 22 May, 2020 04:20 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

News Analysis:
Trump's obsession with Obama turns two-way race into a three-way tangle.


Published May 21, 2020


Quote:
Not within its living quarters but, rather, inside President Donald Trump’s head.

In a barrage remarkable even by Trump’s norm-demolishing standards, the nation’s 45th chief executive has spent a good deal of time lately savaging the 44th.

Suddenly, a two-way race has turned into a three-way tangle.

That may have been somewhat inevitable, seeing as how Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic nominee, spent eight years in the White House as Obama’s vice president; an attack on Obama is, by extension, a blow struck against his good friend and former workmate.

But political calculation aside, the volume of attacks from the president and the level of personal vitriol are of a wholly different order, transcending the usual partisan sniping. Among Obama’s trespasses, Trump has accused him — without substantiation or much clarity — of committing “the biggest political crime and scandal in the history of the USA, by FAR.”

Trump backers might argue that Obama started the latest round of vituperation.

In a conference call this month with alumni of his administration, the former president described Trump’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic as “an absolute chaotic disaster” and criticized the Justice Department for saying it would drop its criminal case against former national security advisor Michael Flynn.

“That’s the kind of stuff where you begin to get worried that basic — not just institutional norms — but our basic understanding of rule of law is at risk,” Obama said. With 3,000 people dialing in, he must have known his remarks were bound to leak.

Trump’s eruption soon followed and his molten rage has scarcely let up. In a barrage of Tweets and television appearances, he accused Obama of abusing his office and operating the most inept and corrupt administration ever. “OBAMAGATE makes Watergate look small time!” he wrote, offering a hazy theory implicating the former president in Flynn’s prosecution.

Obama, for his part, has not hidden the contempt he feels toward his successor, though people within his orbit say he does not exhibit the same consuming animus that Trump apparently harbors.

Obama was almost clinically detached in a recent address to graduating students, telling them the pandemic “has fully, finally torn back the curtain on the idea that so many of the folks in charge know what they’re doing.” He never spoke Trump’s name and apparently shows the same equanimity in private.

“In my conversations with him, he is surprisingly unbothered by Trump’s persistent attacks,” said David Axelrod, one of the architects of Obama’s rise to the White House. The former president understands Trump’s political motivations, Axelrod said — riling his base, drawing attention from the pandemic — and has never resorted to name-calling. “He’s just not that thin-skinned.”

Axelrod and others said Obama’s public restraint should not be mistaken, however, for a reluctance to engage. “All in,” were the words they used to describe his commitment to the fall campaign.

Throughout his time in office, Trump has harbored a raw and unbridled contempt for his predecessor, seeking to undermine or undo just about anything he, or former First Lady Michelle Obama, touched.

In the popular telling, Trump’s hostility goes back to 2011 and the annual White House Correspondents’ Association dinner.

For years, Trump had actively promoted the canard that Obama was born in Africa and, thus, ineligible to be president. Obama responded with a scathing comedic monologue, painting “The Donald” as a kooky peddler of conspiracy theories and a buffoon whose only leadership experience was axing B-list personalities from his reality show, “Celebrity Apprentice.”

“These are the kind of decisions that would keep me up at night,” Obama said dryly. “Well handled, sir, well handled.”

Trump, a guest of the Washington Post, smiled tight-lipped as a ballroom’s worth of Beltway grandees laughed uproariously at his expense.

In fact, said biographer Michael D’Antonio, “Trump was predisposed to hate a guy like Obama” — a sentiment that has only deepened since his election to the presidency placed them side-by-side for comparison.

“There’s a physical grace that Obama has that Trump has never had,” D’Antonio said. “There’s an ease in every situation that Trump must envy.”

Moreover, because Trump is someone who “values enemies more than friends,” D’Antonio went on, Obama serves a particularly useful function.

Trump’s reelection strategy is based almost entirely on energizing and motivating his supporters to turn out in November, rather than winning converts. Few offer a greater spur to the polls than the president’s predecessor.

The same could be said for many Democrats, who continue to revere Obama.

With his party’s nominating fight over, Obama is in regular touch with Biden and members of his political team and said to be eager to campaign not just for his former vice president but Democrats seeking to win control of the Senate and keep their majority in the House.

People familiar with the former president’s plans cited his performance during the 2018 midterm elections as a template for Obama’s intended approach.

He was scathing at times. “How hard can that be? Saying that Nazis are bad?” Obama gibed in his first campaign speech as a former president, referring to Trump’s good-people-on-both-sides response to violence at a 2017 white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Va.

But Obama did not personalize their differences, or offer a tit-for-tat response to Trump’s taunts.

Even recently, after the president repeatedly inveighed against Obama, accusing him of criminal conspiracy and operating “the most corrupt administration in U.S. history!” the response was measured and notably succinct.

Obama waited several days, then tweeted a single word: “VOTE.”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/elections-2020/news-analysis-trumps-obsession-with-obama-turns-two-way-race-into-a-three-way-tangle/ar-BB14q2h8?ocid=UE13DHP


Former President Obama has more class in his pinky...than Trump has in his entire body. Former President Obama has more class in his pinky than Trump and his entire family.

It must eat at Trump to realize even his closest friends realize that.
engineer
 
  4  
Reply Fri 22 May, 2020 07:54 am
Trump's supporters share his animosity towards President Obama so this free form ranting also serves as a get out the vote call to his supporters. Never underestimate Trump's ability to gin up hostility and turn that into votes.
coldjoint
 
  -3  
Reply Fri 22 May, 2020 10:43 am
@Frank Apisa,

Quote:
It must eat at Trump to realize even his closest friends realize that.

I think anyone privy to the information Trump has on Obama and his actions in office and during the transition think much differently. Obama abused his power and tried to destroy the new president before he, Trump, even got started.

Obama is a disgrace to the office of president and it is proven more each day.
0 Replies
 
coldjoint
 
  -3  
Reply Fri 22 May, 2020 10:45 am
@engineer,
Quote:
Never underestimate Trump's ability to gin up hostility and turn that into votes.

Three years of lies about Russia with 0 evidence would make anyone hostile. I prefer to call it righteous anger.
RABEL222
 
  5  
Reply Fri 22 May, 2020 01:43 pm
@coldjoint,
Is this the reason the republican supreme court is holding up the FBI information on the Russian investigation until after the presidential election?
coldjoint
 
  -4  
Reply Fri 22 May, 2020 02:40 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Is this the reason the republican supreme court is holding up the FBI information on the Russian investigation until after the presidential election?

The reason is because it is law about grand jury testimony. This bullshit of ignoring the laws because it is Trump is getting old. The Supreme Court will not allow it.
0 Replies
 
roger
 
  6  
Reply Fri 22 May, 2020 03:11 pm
@RABEL222,
I sure hope not.
coldjoint
 
  -4  
Reply Fri 22 May, 2020 04:19 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I sure hope not.

Tell us Roger, why are laws being challenged just because it is Trump? There is proof now legal channels were not followed to begin the investigation. There was no evidence. This is a Stalin like procedure that so many are behind, or at least that is what the media says. They have found the man and will ignore the laws to find the crime.

Those people do not want to follow the law. That is a very good sign they have no respect for the law. It is safer to ignore me than answer me.
0 Replies
 
revelette1
 
  3  
Reply Fri 22 May, 2020 06:43 pm
What is worse is that most of the crowd probably won't even really believe it, but they'll get all excited and chant like hooded clan members any two bit phrase Trump comes up with about Obama.

In the words of former GW Bush, "bring it on."
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Obama '08? - Discussion by sozobe
Let's get rid of the Electoral College - Discussion by Robert Gentel
McCain's VP: - Discussion by Cycloptichorn
Food Stamp Turkeys - Discussion by H2O MAN
The 2008 Democrat Convention - Discussion by Lash
McCain is blowing his election chances. - Discussion by McGentrix
Snowdon is a dummy - Discussion by cicerone imposter
GAFFNEY: Whose side is Obama on? - Discussion by gungasnake
 
  1. Forums
  2. » News Analysis: Trump's (obsession) with Obama turns two-way race into a three-way tangle.
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 11/27/2020 at 08:35:58