The Power of Stardom?

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 12:40 am
A Chinese teacher reportedly tried to snooker her students into lauding a Chinese actor named Xiaozhan-肖战 in Chinese , according to a Chinese article. Yet one of her students pooh-poohed her demands by jiving this actor directly. The student reportedly said "肖战必糊" in Chinese, which can be seen as a taunt used by this actor's detractors to belittle him-it means this actor's efforts to be a marquee star will go down the tubes in English. The female teacher railed at this recalcitrant student after hearing this.

Word on the street is that this actor's agent has spent lots of money trying to burnish this actor's public image and boost his popularity, such as hiring publicists online to blurb his songs or TV productions. The Chinese call such hired guns shui jun or 水军 in Chinese. It's customary for young actors and actresses to pull such tricks in a bid to attract eyeballs in China.

The plot thickens. A Chinese girl claiming to be the former editor of a school newspaper in Xiamen groused about the actions of some fans of this actor on her Weibeo, saying she had been perturbed by their incessant calls to her demanding that the school newspaper say sorry to this actor. The school newspaper had berated a local female teacher for having badgered her students to cheer for the same actor in class.

According to a video released by this former editor, the former editor also told them that she's no longer the editor of this newspaper even her phone number could still be found on the website of the school newspaper, asking them not to make such bothersome personal calls to her. " My old colleagues must have forgotten to remove my phone number," she wrote on her Weibo.

Yet to her chagrin, some fans of this actor wouldn't cut this former editor some slack , despite being told that she's no longer the editor. And at least two girls tore this former editor and the school newspaper to shreds for trying to abrogate their responsibilities.

" I don't know what are you talking about? Do you belong to an organization?" the former editor asked them spitefully , and then implored the two girls not to pester her with more agonizing questions.

" I'm just asking you to behave well. It would be wrong for your newspaper to take this actor to task. Is that understood? The two girls blurted out with more diatribes against the former editor.

"I fu le them, the aggrieved former editor said at length. Chinese people use the expression fu le to describe a situation in which you would be hard-pressed to find another pertinent word other than fu le to talk about someone's stupidity, which can be construed as a jab.

izzythepush

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 02:56 am
@goldberg,
I’m sorry but I can’t get further than your misuse of snooker. Pressure, persuade or even coerce or compel would be much better.

Being snookered means being in a position where there is no easy, if any, way out. It comes from the game snooker which is similar to pool. There are two sets of ball red and coloured, as well as the cue ball. Every time a ball is potted you get points, but they have to be potted in order, red, coloured, red, coloured. Once potted the reds stay down but the coloured balls get put back until all the reds have been potted.

Once that has happened the colours have to be potted in a particular order from yellow to black. If you miss the ball or hit the wrong colour you lose points. Somebody is snookered when there is no clear shot on the ball they have to hit. They’ll have to go off the cushions and hope their geometry is good enough.
Lady Lingiton

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 03:11 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I’m sorry but I can’t get further than your misuse of snooker.

A Chinese teacher reportedly tried to snooker her students

Ooo err. I love it when you take it out, chalk it up and take a shot.

We could chat in buzz50 about chinese snookers and then perchance a foursome with the Earl of Murray and Lady Mondegreen?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/91/Chinese_Snooker.png/200px-Chinese_Snooker.png
izzythepush

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 03:21 am
@Lady Lingiton,
I didn’t say that.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 03:37 am
@izzythepush,
Thanks for pointing it out, buddy. A British dictionary suggests that snooker also has the meaning of "trick, entice, or trap."
https://www.lexico.com/definition/snooker

0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 03:39 am
@izzythepush,
No need to say sorry. I'm not Mary Norris . Thus, it's natural for me to make mistakes.
goldberg

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 03:45 am
@Lady Lingiton,
I don't even know how to play it. I'm a soccer fan.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 04:09 am
@goldberg,
We don't use the s word over here, it's football.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 04:13 am
@goldberg,
I doubt Mary Norris would know much about snooker either. It never caught on in America, which is surprising considering the far right undertones.

First you knock off all the reds, then you take out the poor coloured bastards and in the end there's only the white left on the table.
lmur

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 05:03 am
@izzythepush,
And when you know you've won, the last token black is frequently not disposed of.
goldberg

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 05:08 am
@izzythepush,
Oh, I see. I remember having played such games online for fun, even though I don't know the rules.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 05:18 am
@izzythepush,
Speaking of Mary Norris, some journalists submit that she is the go-to pundit when it comes to grammar usage. I haven't read her books yet.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 05:19 am
@lmur,
Unless it's a really big break. I think the various contests have prizes for the highest breaks.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 05:20 am
@goldberg,
I had to google her, I'd never heard of her until now.

She might be one of those people who's really famous in America but relatively unknown outside of there.
jespah

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 10:18 am
@izzythepush,
I've got no idea who she is, either, and I don't recall anyone in any writing group mentioning her.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 10:39 am
@jespah,
How’s it going?

I’ve not long got my first on Kindle and I’m about half way through proof reading the second.
roger

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 10:47 am
@Lady Lingiton,
Good to see you back.
jespah

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 11:06 am
@izzythepush,
Awesome please send me a link when you get a chance Smile
izzythepush

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 11:10 am
@jespah,
I’m on an iPad right now, but whenI get back on the computer I’ll pm you.

I’ve got a new illustrator, he’s very good. The cover is a lot better.
0 Replies

Lady Lingiton

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 08:13 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Re: Lady Lingiton (Post 7006536)
Good to see you back.

Roger, old chum, it's always good to see you.

I may be a tad like the main character in many of the threads here: unseen but somehow always there.