The right time for the right movie, TV show, etc.

Seizan

Tue 3 May, 2022 03:03 am
There is no TV in our house. My wife and I agreed to toss it out around 1998. So, we don't watch TV. For news and weather, we have our own chosen websites and news agencies online.

(Being a school teacher, my middle school students are somewhat mystified at how we survive without TV. I guess it's beyond imagination for teenagers.)

However, I do rent and watch movies, and sometimes a series if I'm interested. I am watching the series "Gotham" now. I've watched several others, notably "Lucifer", Fringe", and so on. However, I do not subscribe to Netflix or any other Internet-based entertainment site. I occasionally rent a show or movie on DVD.

My question is: Why does it feel more comfortable to watch such shows in the mid to late evening, rather than during the day? I can't imagine watching Gotham in the morning or afternoon, and anytime before 9PM seems just plain "too early". Why does the evening feel right for watching most shows or movies? I usually like to watch an episode (or plan time for a longer movie) just before bed.

Does anyone else feel like that, and know what it is in some people's psyche that makes evenings feel right for this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 4,330 • Replies: 26
Topic Closed
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 3 May, 2022 03:07 am
@Seizan,
Seizan wrote:

There is no TV in our house. My wife and I agreed to toss it out around 1998. So, we don't watch TV. For news and weather, we have our own chosen websites and news agencies online.

(Being a school teacher, my middle school students are somewhat mystified at how we survive without TV. I guess it's beyond imagination for teenagers.)

However, I do rent and watch movies, and sometimes a series if I'm interested. I am watching the series "Gotham" now. I've watched several others, notably "Lucifer", Fringe", and so on. However, I do not subscribe to Netflix or any other Internet-based entertainment site. I occasionally rent a show or movie on DVD.

My question is: Why does it feel more comfortable to watch such shows in the mid to late evening, rather than during the day? I can't imagine watching Gotham in the morning or afternoon, and anytime before 9PM seems just plain "too early". Why does the evening feel right for watching most shows or movies? I usually like to watch an episode (or plan time for a longer movie) just before bed.

Does anyone else feel like that, and know what it is in some people's psyche that makes evenings feel right for this?

I do most of my TV watching at night. It does feel better. I have no idea of why.

What do you watch your DVD's on?
Seizan

Tue 3 May, 2022 06:22 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I use the DVD player in my computer.
0 Replies

Real Music

Tue 3 May, 2022 07:28 pm
@Seizan,
1. My television is pretty much always on.

2. The only time I turn the television off is when I am sleeping or when I'm not in the house.

3. When I go to work or leave the house for any reason, I will turn the tv off.

4. If I need silence to concentrate on something, I will put the tv on mute, but the tv will still be on.

5. I keep the tv on, even if I'm not necessarily watching it at a particular moment.

6. If I'm not watching anything in particular, I will just turn the channel to a news show or news channel.

7. Sometimes, when I'm on the phone I will put the tv on mute.

8. When I'm listening to music, I will put the tv on mute.

9. If I'm studying, writing, or doing anything that requires silence and concentration, I will put the tv on mute.

10. I do watch some tv series whenever those series are on.

11. I also watch streaming television when I'm in the mood.

12. I also occasionally watch movies, sports, and various other types of tv shows.
0 Replies

Seizan

Wed 4 May, 2022 03:58 pm
There must be some social-psychological reason why it feels better to watch movies at night. Anyone?
Real Music

Wed 4 May, 2022 05:34 pm
@Seizan,
1. Many adults wake up in the morning, go to work for most of the day, maybe stop off somewhere after work, then go home for the remainder of the evening.

2. Sometime after eating dinner, adults might want to relax and unwind for the remainder of the evening.

3. For many adults, watching a movie in the evening time is another way of relaxing and unwinding after a long day.

4. Kids and teenagers spend most of their day at school or out somewhere playing with their friends.

5. Kids and teenagers come home by evening time. Eat their dinner. And watch some evening television before going to bed.
Seizan

Wed 4 May, 2022 08:50 pm
@Real Music,
This is all true enough. But there are days when I am home, sometimes alone (if my wife has duty), the house is quiet, and still I cannot bear to watch a movie by day.

I can sit before a computer screen and work, write, edit training videos, etc. But not watch a movie. And I'm not the only one (I used to think it was just me but many I know feel the same, and they can't really explain either).

Maybe it relates to something hardwired into the human psyche...? Something from before TV or radio, before "evening entertainment", before human society was established, something primeval?

BTW, here in Japan, most teens really don't have time in the evening to watch TV or movies. School is from about 8:30AM - 4PM and extends into the evening with sports or other club activities, or cramming school, sometimes as late as 9 or 10 PM. Even on weekends there are clubs or sport activities, so not much time for casual TV viewing.
Real Music

Wed 4 May, 2022 10:04 pm
@Seizan,
1. It's not just you.

2. I personally know someone who is very similar to you.

3. Maybe it started at a very young age, and it became ingrained into your psyche as you grew older.
Seizan

Thu 5 May, 2022 06:19 pm
@Real Music,
That's possible too. But I know more people like me (in this regard) than those who can watch dark murder mysteries or tension-filled thrillers at 8AM with their morning coffee.

I asked one how she can stand tension, gruesome murders, sci-fi splatter flicks, etc. early in the morning and she didn't know, just it didn't bother her. So she didn't know either...

My question isn't really a game-changer for anyone, and won't make a difference in the world. I'm just curious to discover possibly another facet of human nature I didn't know about before.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 5 May, 2022 06:55 pm
I tend to watch in mid morning. Then if the movie is boring I get in a nap instead.
Seizan

Thu 5 May, 2022 11:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ah. You must be one of my generation...

:-)
izzythepush

Fri 6 May, 2022 04:40 am
@Seizan,
Can't watch Lucifer, not after he was the love interest in Miranda.

It just doesn't work.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 6 May, 2022 05:51 am
@Seizan,
Seizan wrote:

Ah. You must be one of my generation...

:-)

I be on the cusp of an eightieth bday.
Seizan

Fri 6 May, 2022 08:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I be on the cusp of an eightieth bday.

Slow down and lemme catch up...!

I'll be 69 in 2 months.

Stay curious...
edgarblythe

Fri 6 May, 2022 11:05 pm
@Seizan,
I try to stay active mentally and physically. It made me feel good when my mechanic said, "Are you retired yet?"

I told him I have been for a good while and gave my age. He said, "You don't look it."

Seizan

Sat 7 May, 2022 02:42 am
@edgarblythe,
A gent walks into the dentist's office, and notices the degrees and photos on the wall. One catches his eye; it was a high school class of 1965 - his high school, his class... He recognizes several students, and then realizes the dentist was one of his classmates.

He sits in the dentist's chair, and he says "You were in my high school class back in 1965.

The dentist looks at him and says, "What did you teach?"
edgarblythe

Sat 7 May, 2022 07:04 am
@Seizan,
I told two grandsons I hope to live another twenty or thirty years. Both did a double take and then turned away. Smile
Seizan

Sat 7 May, 2022 03:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
In this age, despite all the woes of the world, it's entirely possible that you will...!

According to my insurance statistics when I was age 40, I was expected to live until age 50. At age 45 I changed my whole lifestyle. Now I don't eat meat, I never smoked, and gave up alcohol completely. My stats (even including all the facts from my past lifestyle in the data) now places my life expectancy between ages 92 to 95. My wife's age expectancy is off the charts (it stops at 110).

So you can do it...!

Statistics, damned statistics, and lies... But sometimes comforting, and make for nice dreams...
edgarblythe

Sat 7 May, 2022 03:39 pm
@Seizan,
I believe it's possible, in my case. I quit smoking almost 30 year ago. Quit drinking twenty-five years ago. Changed my diet. ( Before I changed my diet I could begin a story but could never finish it or polish it. Now I write novellas and short stories, since I started eating better) Get exercise. Pay attention to my personal health needs and serve them daily. Right now my biggest problem is my last job wore the cartilage out of my knees. I use a sleeve brace and at times a cane.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Sat 18 Jun, 2022 07:12 am
I usually watch TV in the evening. I very rarely watch movies. I find that I like to binge watch older TV serials. Sometimes I rewatch a series that I have already seen. Right now, I am watching NYPD Blue, which I never saw when it was first running.

Now the computer is another thing. I am retired, so my time is my own. I usually check my e mails, and look for some interesting news or other stories. I watch right after breakfast, and often check my portfolio (ugh, lately). Very often I have to literally pull myself away from the computer,'cause sometimes I become too involved, and the days are going faster lately!