Fri 28 Oct, 2022 12:05 pm
What are the education/skill requirements to get into performance/entertainment arts industry ? I don't really have the artisitic skills to dance, sing and perform but want to be backstage, working somewhat close with the artists as well.

for the perfomance aspect, I am in my 20s and have no atheltic skills lol but appreciate music and dance. Would I have to have started a lot younger? I heard dancers retire sometime in their 30's and that dance isn't expected to be in demand in a few years. If that is the case, what backstage work would be a good fit?

tsarstepan

Fri 28 Oct, 2022 12:30 pm
@ovowoody,
Backstage? A you talking set construction? You'll need carpentry and woodworking skills.

Try and look into apprencticeships for theater production crews. Keeping in mind a lot of theaters/live performance centers are union jobs so... you're going to have to start at square one. And it will likely be tough work for very little pay until you get past the probationary period and get enough time under your belt.

Quote:
what backstage work would be a good fit?

No one here can answer that as we literally don't know you or your skillset. Are you good with your hands? Have you any DYI experience at home? Electrical and audio work (lighting and sound)? Those latter departments usually have their respective associates degrees and certificates one would need to enter that arena.
0 Replies

Mame

Fri 28 Oct, 2022 03:28 pm
@ovowoody,
Aside from what tsar said, you could volunteer at several community theatres to learn about what's required and develop the skills you will need.

I volunteered at several local theatres in North and West Vancouver for a few years - I did scene set changes, painting, prop collection, ushering, serving, etc. Others did electrical, set construction, repairs, and other related physical things.

You have to commit and follow through, because they're depending on you, but they're a great way to learn and you may meet people who can help you in your endeavours.

Volunteering is a bonus for everyone.
bobsal u1553115

Mon 31 Oct, 2022 12:26 pm
@Mame,
And hanging in with it long enough can often turn into a paying job.
0 Replies